Lecture about Luxor Dig houses

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Lecture about Luxor Dig houses

Post by HEPZIBAH »

This keeps cropping up on my Facebook. I know nothing about it but am sharing here for those that my be interested and do not use Facebook. (It ain't all bad stuff there you know.) I copy below all the information I have - I have no idea who the 'I' is as in the blurb.
(I am surprised that no one else more into these things hasn't shared the information though.)

Lecture about Luxor Dig houses on 8 March at Nile Valley Hotel Luxor. 19:00h.

More info on our Facebook Page https://t.co/dhgoAuDbFj
Non-Profit Organisation The t3.wy Project researches the history of dighouses in Egypt

On 8 March I will be doing a lecture about one of the dig houses on Luxor's West Bank:

Possible choices are: The "De Garis Davies" house, The German House, or Stoppelaëre House.

More details as to which house it will be will follow as soon as we have decided.

FOR THOSE OF YOU IN THE LUXOR AREA:
Please let us know if you're coming, by clicking the "join"button, so we can arrange for enough space.

And: Since the lecture will be at a Hotel:
Although you're not required to buy a drink or two at the hotel: It would be nice if you did :-), since we are allowed to use the Hotel's Roof Terrace for our lecture, courtesy of Hamada and Karin Khalifa..

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Lecture about Luxor Dig houses

Post by Brian Yare »

Why not ask Hatusa?

There was a similar lecture a year ago at the Mummification Museum. I was not there, but Helen was.

The dig-houses are an interesting topic.

Brian

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

I'll go if it's happening , sounds good much more interesting than some 'frog digger ranting on in poor passable Engleesh about some piece of old sh** that they just dug up, as though it is the last 'lost fragment of atlantis... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Who2 wrote:I'll go if it's happening , sounds good much more interesting than some 'frog digger ranting on in poor passable Engleesh about some piece of old sh** that they just dug up, as though it is the last 'lost fragment of atlantis... :cool:
I just got back from a 9-hour Symposium at Birmingham University on 'Ritual Landscapes'. Many of the 14 presentations were good and interesting but 2 or 3, unfortunately by people for whom English was not a first language, were horrific. The worst was by 'name removed', who spoke with a very foreign accent, twice as fast as was appropriate, after apologising for a bad cough/cold, and still managed to overrun by 50%.

I hope that I did not snore when I fell asleep!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Brian Yare wrote:Why not ask Hatusa?

There was a similar lecture a year ago at the Mummification Museum. I was not there, but Helen was.

The dig-houses are an interesting topic.

Brian
Who is Hatusa? Why would I ask them?

I posted for the benefit of others who may be interested. I won't even be anywhere near Luxor at the time.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A little update I have just seen (yes, on the dreaded FB! ;) )

The t3.wy Project
Throat hurts, nose is running, feeling feverish, coughing, but have been able to finish preparing my presentation about Alexandre Stoppelaëre and his house at Luxor.

And have been able to "pre-prepare" a presentation about the German Houses at Luxor (the one I overwrote a couple of days ago), just in case there's enough time (and a location available) to do an extra lecture, while in Luxor.

Almost time to start packing our suitcases now Only 5 days left until we fly!
-Aldous Huxley

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

Thanks for posting about this Hepzi, we heard from Marcel about it whilst we were away at the Red Sea but didn't get back online until Sunday. His previous lectures were very interesting.

I think Brian's suggestion to ask Hatusu was because she manages the Scherezade which has been used as a lecture venue before :)

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

FABlux wrote:
I think Brian's suggestion to ask Hatusu was because she manages the Scherezade which has been used as a lecture venue before :)
I didn't recognise the name BrianYare used and, as it was a different hotel mentioned, didn't associate the two.
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Possibly because they are Dutch.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

BENNU wrote:
Actually Bennu, I think British.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

A-Four wrote:
BENNU wrote:
Well, the t3.xy Project and the "I" who gives the lecture post in Dutch on Facebook, so I thought that they were Dutch.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

You are right Bennu they are Dutch (but their English is superb).
Hepzi the different hotel is because of the Dutch connection, they did a lecture there before because it fitted with the projector nicely.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A-Four wrote:
BENNU wrote:

Sorry Bennu, I thought you was asking about Hatusa.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

:icd: :snig: :wi

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote::icd: :snig: :wi
Me too. I tried to write a post about it last night too but that didn't work either.

:tk Perhaps it's not us and it is others who are confused. ;)
-Aldous Huxley

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

If some are confused about the various aspect of who is giving the lecture or for that matter where it will be held, then that is nothing compared to understanding life within the various dig houses.

Carter House was certainly not known at the time as a dig house, Davis House proved to be a very sad place, although the Marson advertises that its perhaps the oldest dig house on the WB, it never really was, though I admit it has had a very colourful life. As for the rest, well there is only one that really stands out, and that is the old Oriental House (WB). If the walls of that place could speak, you would probably need the smelling salts on hand, even today, at any lecture. Now days, they actually let the Polish students 'squat' there,....they even hang washing out on a line, in the back garden,...........God only knows what little old Dr Margaret Murray would have said, if she was still alive.

God bless all the old ghosts that I am sure still hang around those dig houses, what a wonderful lecture each and every one would give you, but they are all gone, so you will have to make do with the 'official' version.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

A-Four wrote: Carter House was certainly not known at the time as a dig house, Davis House proved to be a very sad place, although the Marson advertises that its perhaps the oldest dig house on the WB, it never really was, though I admit it has had a very colourful life. As for the rest, well there is only one that really stands out, and that is the old Oriental House (WB). If the walls of that place could speak, you would probably need the smelling salts on hand, even today, at any lecture.

God bless all the old ghosts that I am sure still hang around those dig houses, what a wonderful lecture each and every one would give you, but they are all gone, so you will have to make do with the 'official' version.
:wi Is there no way that you can be tempted to speak to us? :wi

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Well, I have in the distant past written on here about one or two of the places Bennu, though I am sure a certain person will pipe-up on here and say they can not find it. Several years ago when they were about to open up Carter House, I remember Jane Akshar was seeking information, and I supplied an article on here, my own work I might add, but being a new member on this site, it was slagged off, by some who thought they knew better.

Also Bennu, when I lived on the WB, few knew me, infact you are now the only person who did know my identity from the old days on the WB. Now, I am a tourist, and do not give a fig, who, when I pass, say "Oh, here comes that dreadful A-Four".

There are few of the old books out there now about real life at the dig houses, however the only one written in recent times was about 25 years ago, by a woman called Margaret Drower, with regards to the Petrie era on the WB. Oh boy, she spilled the beans, but most she kept in the can, obviously afraid of the then living relatives.

As to your suggestion that I give a lecture, well I would not want to speak slowly, so that one or two could take notes to write my book that I have said else where, I will never do.

I wait for others to write theirs,..........so I can correct it for them. :wi :wi :wi .

A-Four.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

A-Four wrote: I supplied an article on here, my own work I might add, but being a new member on this site, it was slagged off, by some who thought they knew better.

I would not want to speak slowly, so that one or two could take notes to write my book that I have said else where, I will never do. :wi :wi :wi .

A-Four.
:wi :wi Yes, I remember. :wi :wi

nilevalley

Post by nilevalley »

Dear Luxor 4 U forum members,

It was brought to my attention that there was a post about a lecture “I” will be giving at the Nile Valley Hotel on March 8th as this is my home/dig house in Egypt.

Since I am not a member of the forum, I could not read it myself, otherwise I would have given my answer(s) directly. Instead I have found Karin, from the Nile Valley Hotel, willing to reply on my behalf. (can’t seem to register. The account I make never gets activated)

“This keeps cropping up on my facebook”.
I guess someone invited you to join?

“I” is Marcel Maessen and I am the one who researches the history of dig houses. Not only in Luxor, but, eventually, all over Egypt.

The dig houses are an interesting topic:
Thanks, Brian. Some of my research material, I bought from you 

I'll go if it's happening , sounds good much more interesting……….
Thanks, Who2. I hope I can live up to your expectations.
And Yes, it will happen

I hope that I did not snore when I fell asleep.
You’re invited anyway, Brian, regardless if you snore or not. And…. English is not my first language either.

A little update I have just seen………..
Throat is OK now, nose just stopped running, fever has left for the Ukraine and the lecture is fully prepared. By the way: The lecture will be about the Stoppelaëre House (not an actual dig house) and the man for whom it was built in 1950; Alexandre Stoppelaëre.

His previous lectures were very interesting….
Thanks, Barry 

I fail to see the relevance, Bennu.

No, we’re Dutch allright.

but their English is superb…..
Now you make me blush, Barry.
(by the way: my English is NOT superb)

nothing compared to understanding life within the various dig houses……….
Interesting reply to the original post, A-Four. You seem to know your stuff. Would like to talk with you and exchange information.
I agree: Life in a dig house did have its ups and downs, but thus far I have hardly ever included these stories in my articles and/or lectures. Basically because, not being a scholar who’s affiliated to any University or (museum) library, means not getting access to their databases and archives. But that will change with the new team members we have been able to persuade to join. So, if there are any interesting tales out there, relating to time spend in a dig-house, we will find them.
Must Ask you something, though. You say that the Marsam claims to be the oldest dig house on the West Bank (which it’s not. It has been built from bits and pieces of the old Chicago House, but that’s all), and a little further on you write about the Oriental House on the West Bank. Which house are you referring to? The one that used to be inside the enclosure of Medinet Habu?

Guess that’s all, for now.
Since I will probably be never able to get an account activated: For those among you who want to know more about the project, just visit the website (http://www.tawy.nl), our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/t3.wyproject) or get in touch directly: marcel@tawy.nl

By the way: Since our first language is NOT English, there are probably a lot of grammar and spelling errors on the site. These will be corrected by our new proof-reader, which is Lyla Pinch-Brock.

Best regards to all,

Marcel Maessen.