Bus Crash

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Bus Crash

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I read last night there had been a serious bus crash on the Safaga Road. The reports were being updated very quickly so I and the Bing translator couldn't keep up but I understood it was a coach load of Copts on the way back from Hurghada to Luxor. 14 dead and 25 injured reported last night but I also so saw a post that said that those that were taken to Quena were left unattended by doctors who would not be there until today so more died.

I can't find the original posts now to get a link. Does anyone have any more information?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Bus Crash

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Here you Go Hepzibah

Cairo, July 15:

At least 12 people were killed and 27 were injured Tuesday in a road accident on Qena-Safaga highway in southern Egypt, a security official said.

"There is no criminal suspicion behind the accident, which took place due to excessive speed of the two vehicles," Xinhua quoted a Qena security official as saying.

He said a bus belonging to a church was involved in the accident and that tens of ambulances and civil protection vehicles rushed to the scene.

A senior health ministry official in Qena said that six of the seriously injured have been moved to Qena University Hospital, while the rest were taken to Safaga and Hurghada public hospitals. Further critical cases will be moved to Cairo and Assiut University hospitals after necessary medical treatments.
cont: ......

http://www.siasat.com/english/news/12-k ... d-accident

Another version.

Agence France-Presse

Cairo, 16 July: At least 17 people were killed in Egypt when a bus ploughed into a truck south of Cairo, state television reported.

The accident occurred yesterday near the town of Safaga, 570 kilometres south of Cairo, the report said, adding that 25 other passengers were injured in the crash.

Traffic accidents are common in Egypt, where roads are often poorly maintained and traffic regulations are little enforced.

In March, 24 people were killed in a similar accident when a bus crashed into a truck parked on the side of a road near the Sinai Peninsula.

http://www.thestatesman.net/news/65825- ... crash.html
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thanks Bullet Magnet.
Sadly my Bing translator wasn't too far off the mark. :(
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

They were on the way back to their village near Esna from a holiday in Hurghada it was a Christian feast on Sunday.

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/news/details/483405

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Kingrocker may want to reconsider his travel plans... :tk

http://luxor4u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34703
Kingrocker wrote:Hi Everyone,
Have visited Luxor on many occasions however will be flying into Hurghada this time and spending a few days there. Will be travelling to Luxor by bus for a week. If anyone could give me advice on departure times would be very grateful. Thank You
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

When I came back from Hurghada I noticed that a lot of the road surface was being re-tarmaced, they had taken off the top lay and then probably because of Ramadan had abandoned it, road was covered in sand in places which made it quite slippy.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Says it all really, is their an oath Doctors take in Egypt that commits them to people care?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

It said in the report that ambulances and emergency services rushed to the scene of the accident, what has the Hypocratic oath or the Egyptian equivilent got to do with it?

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

I think CE was referring to this from the first post - I also so saw a post that said that those that were taken to Quena were left unattended by doctors who would not be there until today so more died

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

"Those that were taken to Quena were left unattended by doctors who would not be there until today so more died"

Yes BB, thats the bit that stood out to me, pleased someone else spotted it.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

One of the biggest problems in any road accident is that the road gets the blame for everything, when in fact the road has very little to do with it at all, it's up to the driver or rider to know roadcraft and therefore drive/ride to the road conditions.

If they have no road craft then they would have no idea what to do when these incidents occur. That applies to all countries and I am not singling out Egypt. It is common knowledge to those of us that have had proper training on driving and riding.

So to blame a road is not the right thing. We have dangerous roads in the UK where drivers and riders are killed, its up to the driver/rider to adjust to the road they are using...

Of course its always sad to learn of people getting killed in accidents, but they will and will continue doing until roadcraft is learned and the driver/rider applies it to the road they are travelling.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:One of the biggest problems in any road accident is that the road gets the blame for everything, when in fact the road has very little to do with it at all, it's up to the driver or rider to know roadcraft and therefore drive/ride to the road conditions.

If they have no road craft then they would have no idea what to do when these incidents occur. That applies to all countries and I am not singling out Egypt. It is common knowledge to those of us that have had proper training on driving and riding.

So to blame a road is not the right thing. We have dangerous roads in the UK where drivers and riders are killed, its up to the driver/rider to adjust to the road they are using...

Of course its always sad to learn of people getting killed in accidents, but they will and will continue doing until roadcraft is learned and the driver/rider applies it to the road they are travelling.
Agreed, but there is a lot of pressure on professional drivers (from bosses, customers, etc.,) to drive to a timetable. This can involve taking extra risks.