Attempted Rape/Rape West Bank

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Attempted Rape/Rape West Bank

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:27 pm

There were a couple of news posts this week about an attempted rape/rape in the banana plantations but the information was even more confusing than this which was posted today. Sounds very frightening.

Luxor News Live
5 mins ·
مباحث الأقصر تكثف جهودها لضبط المتهم باغتصاب إنجليزية تحت تهديد السلاح
مباشر من الأقصر
محمد محروس :...
See More
Luxor police intensify efforts to adjust accused of raping an English gun directly from Luxor Simone: criminal investigation services continued Luxor governorate, in coordination with the tourism and Antiquities police detectives, their efforts to adjust accused of raping an English resident in Luxor tourist center of banana cultivation area of the pod.

Security sources revealed that the tourist police detectives led by Colonel Abu Kamal, pilgrims upon the author began work investigations on the incident and summoned a number of suspects have been brought before the tourist police station the pod, but did not identify them.

The sources noted that the tourist police preferred to edit record in the Department of police of Qurna, given that the incident occurred in the service section, and section officers are more familiar with the terrain and the ability to identify suspects.

The English "Diana Margaret between", 54 years old, and reside in one of the apartments, filed a complaint that being raped by someone at gunpoint and made in the author's descriptions of the suspect.

The author said she moved out of her apartment to buy bread from a bakery close to the ferry on foot, while buying bread, has been shamelessly for signals of modesty by someone, and they ignored it and returning the Center plantings, this person came out of the center of the banana trees and his knife, which attract inward for 50 metres, and raped her at gunpoint, and leave it in the case of fatigue.

(Translated by Bing)

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Re: Attempted Rape/Rape West Bank

Post by Mad Dilys » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:38 pm

Sounds very scary indeed - unfortunately translations by Bing are so bizarre that a human couldn't make them up. :urm:
Smile! It confuses people

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Luxor News Live again... Bringing the Sunshine to Luxor... :cool:
Do they employ Taxi drivers to write these articles ?

Anyone ever hear of this lady, Diana Margaret ?
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Bullet Magnet wrote:Luxor News Live again... Bringing the Sunshine to Luxor... :cool:
Do they employ Taxi drivers to write these articles ?

Anyone ever hear of this lady, Diana Margaret ?
:roll: Luxor4U, or many of it's members, has been accused of having Rose Tinted Glasses when it comes to Luxor. Showing or sharing only the good and positive. I don't agree with that view point. Neither do I agree with the view that Luxor4U, or some of it's members, only share negative posts about Luxor (indeed I have read in a totally different arena just such an accusation this week).
I am also mindful that there are members who reside in Luxor and have complained that they never hear what it is going on in their chosen town. I think this is often because they do not use the local news sources. I don't live in Luxor, I don't have Rose Tinted Glasses, but I do try to keep up with what is going on from time to time and share occasionally.
-Aldous Huxley

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Every time I have been in Luxor I hear stories that have no truth behind them. People robbed, people raped.

I heard of a English woman "just being raped on the Horus bridge" last time I was there, and I was told in great detail what they did to her,
Then next day, it was all a complete pile of rubbish, it never happened.

Now, having lived in many a sleepy village, I can assure you that these places thrive on gossip, gossip which has no bearing on the true facts.
and no one ever accepts responsibility for having first hand information, it was always a case of so and so told me...

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:47 pm

Been with a group of European women to the pool today on the west bank, none of them mentioned this incident and I am sure they would have if they had heard. Don't know anyone called Diane Margaret, not listened to any Egyptian news today and didn't yesterday, so I don't know if it has been reported. I am by no way saying that this has not happened because I know that things like this do happen, not altogether rose tinted yet.
Just hope that the poor woman is getting some support.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:48 pm

How do you know there is no truth behind them?

This serious incident has been known about in town for a few days and yes it is fact there is an ongoing investigation it apparently occurred a few days ago.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:49 pm

Bullet Magnet wrote:Every time I have been in Luxor I hear stories that have no truth behind them. People robbed, people raped.

I heard of a English woman "just being raped on the Horus bridge" last time I was there, and I was told in great detail what they did to her,
Then next day, it was all a complete pile of rubbish, it never happened.

Now, having lived in many a sleepy village, I can assure you that these places thrive on gossip, gossip which has no bearing on the true facts.
and no one ever accepts responsibility for having first hand information, it was always a case of so and so told me...
Fair comment.

I dislike the 'I have heard...' with no link back to any source of origin. I have quoted/re-posted Luxor News Live quite a few times recently and I'm the first to admit that I cannot verify what they write, but they are supposed to be some kind of news service in the Luxor area, so I have to assume that they do have more local information than I do.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that the Arabic part of my OP was mostly hidden. I paste it below so that folks may run it through their own translators if they choose.

Luxor News Live
about an hour ago
مباحث الأقصر تكثف جهودها لضبط المتهم باغتصاب إنجليزية تحت تهديد السلاح

مباشر من الأقصر

محمد محروس :

واصلت أجهزة البحث الجنائي بمحافظة الأقصر، بالتنسيق مع مباحث شرطة السياحة والآثار، جهودها لضبط المتهم باغتصاب سائحة انجليزية مقيمة بالأقصر وسط زراعات الموز بمنطقة القرنة.

وكشفت مصادر أمنية، أن مباحث شرطة السياحية بقيادة العقيد أبو الحجاج كمال، فور تلقيها للبلاغ بدأت في عمل تحرياتها عن الواقعة، واستدعت عددا من المشتبه فيهم وتم عرضهم على السائحة بمركز شرطة القرنة، إلا أنها لم تتعرف على أحد منهم.

وأشارت المصادر إلى أن شرطة السياحة فضلت أن يتم تحرير المحضر بدائرة قسم شرطة القرنة، باعتبار أن الواقعة حدثت بدائرة القسم، وأن ضباط مباحث القسم هم أكثر دراية بطبيعة المكان وقدرة على تحديد المشتبه فيهم.

كانت الانجليزية "ديانا مارجريت بين"، 54 سنة، وتقيم بإحدى الشقق السكنية، تقدمت ببلاغ يفيد بتعرضها للاغتصاب من قبل أحد الأشخاص تحت تهديد السلاح الأبيض وأدلت في البلاغ بأوصاف المتهم .

وأوضحت في البلاغ أنها خرجت من شقتها لشراء الخبز من أحد المخابز القريبة على طريق المعدية سيرا على الأقدام، وأثناء شرائها الخبز، تعرضت لإشارات خادشه للحياء من جانب أحد الأشخاص، وأنها تجاهلته وفى طريق عودتها وسط الزراعات، خرج لها هذا الشخص من وسط أشجار الموز وبيده سكين، حيث جذبها للداخل لمسافة 50 مترًا، وقام باغتصابها تحت تهديد السلاح، وتركها في حالة إعياء.

#صورة تعبيرية عن #الاغتصاب.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Well thank you Hepzibah for bringing it to MY attention, like I said I have heard nothing about it, it will certainly make me a little more cautious. I hope the man is caught soon and the lady recovers from her horrible ordeal.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:12 pm

I'd just like to add, particularly for the benefit of those who are no doubt thinking or about to write 'It can happen any where. It's safer in Luxor than...'

Yes, we do know that sadly such things do take place anywhere and everywhere in the world. Nevertheless, it is important (in this crazy world we live in) to be reminded of such things so that we can be more mentally protected and less likely to become victims.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Just had an email from the Embassy, up to date as usual, an American tourist was killed on the 7th of this month near Fayroum.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:48 pm

The news about the American is old news from a week or two ago. He was not a tourist but worked for Apache and was killed in a carjacking out in the desert.

The woman's last name is something like "Bain" (translated as "Between")

According to this article, the woman is taking part in a larger British plot against Egypt:

http://elbashayeronline.com/news-401480.html

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:The news about the American is old news from a week or two ago. He was not a tourist but worked for Apache and was killed in a carjacking out in the desert.

The woman's last name is something like "Bain" (translated as "Between")

According to this article, the woman is taking part in a larger British plot against Egypt:

http://elbashayeronline.com/news-401480.html
Then that would be the 7th then?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:23 am

I think that it very important to report such events as this as people should be given such information freely and without bias, not just as a warning that not all is as well as some think it is living here, but to give people the chance to decide if it is worth their while going into such areas until it is sorted out and is deemed safe to enter. The lady in question may have insisted on a pseudonym being used for her own reasons.

I was once asked a couple of years back about the bad things in life that I and others posted on here. Did I not think that such items could be in fact, contributing to fewer tourists from coming here. I replied that this is always a possibility, as a lot of people do make decisions in life based of evidential news items concerning the country they are thinking to visit. But twice as many ignore it. So my answer was no, not in the case of this forum.

These streets are filled with gossip on a day to day basis. Most are ignorable, but some have obviously a grain of truth attached. The other day when I posted that my taxi driver had given me some information concerning a bomb defused in Luxor I deemed it worthy of a mention. But it seems, although the report was correct, a taxi drivers information is to be taken with such a pinch of salt in regards to its validity or totally disregarded.

I was asked about this latest incident by my driver as his friend, another driver, had seen the police activity in the area that this supposed incident had happened so asked a police officer what was going on. The information was given, then passed onto my driver that then inquired of me had I heard anything. I decided not to post because of the last remarks concerning my drivers shared information, and yet here it is, just as he told me, without the woman's name. Thus proving that just because the information is from the lips of a taxi driver does not necessarily mean that it is gossip.

Many a war has been fought based on rumor and gossip, but just as many have been avoided. Best just to keep and open mind and a closed mouth until the true facts emerge. But don't just start shooting the messengers willy nilly. So you keep posting your translated word puzzles HEPZIBAH, for even if they turn out to be slightly removed from the actual truth, they give a moments amusement reading Bings translations. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:01 am

I apologise Dusak.
My excuse is the delivery of information about something so significant.
I would have expected the whole city to have known about a bomb in a train, and the journo's would have been crawling all over a story like that. That's what they get paid for.

One can only assume that this story is being supressed rather than sensationalised by the press, since the bomb ( which I thought was on the Aswan Cairo train ) could damage whatever is left of the tourism industry out there.

We still have very little on the story, who did it and why ?. there is absolutley zero point in speculating the answer to any of these questions.
But then again, fear can be overcome with knowledge, so it would be good to have an explanation from someone.

I Agree Dusak, While I always keep a smile on my face in whatever I do, regarding the rape attempted rape at knife point or gunpoint or both, The Bing Translations did actually inject a lot of humor and confusion into such a terrible story of this ladies ordeal, which I still am in the dark about.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:57 am

Unfortunately, until we all (or even just a significant number of us) learn to read and understand Arabic we are going to be stuck with Bing and other such internet translation tools.

Before I started posting news articles that I had read, through translators, I made a conscious decision about share or not share. A large proportion of the articles I don't click on and translate for myself, but when I do and I see something I then decide whether to share or not. The incident of the rape/attempted rape is a good example for this because I had already seen two articles about it, or at least I believe they were about the same incident, but they were more confusing to read. When I saw this particular article I believed there was enough in the translation to give a reasonably clear idea of what had happened and I thought then worth sharing.

With regards to the train bombs - whether they were actual bomb devices or suspected of being so - the timing is probably significant. Although I have not seen an update to the information I posted, I have heard/read comments in private conversations where others thought it may well have had something to do with it being one year since the 'Raaba (sp) Massacre'.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:44 am

I think so too Hepzibah, had a warning a little late, as usual, from the Embassy that demonstrations were due that day.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:22 pm

The train bomb (only one of many bombs defused that day) and rape have not been covered up and were widely reported in the Arabic press. That said, only a fraction of what is in the Arabic press makes it to the English press and then sometimes with a considerable time lag. For all you know, a taxi driver may just be buying the newspaper every morning, no need for his source to be gossip, private conversations or to suppose that there is a cover up just because you don't read it in Ahram's English version.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Must have been a quick printed newspaper we heard about this on Thur which was the 14th. It does not take long usually for information to get around Luxor don't forget there is a coffee shop nearly every 200ft!