Attempted Rape/Rape West Bank

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Attempted Rape/Rape West Bank

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Egyptian police arrest suspect in rape of Briton.

Egyptian authorities arrested a man on Saturday who is suspected of raping a British citizen in a banana plantation near the ancient southern city of Luxor, a security official said.

The official said the 35-year old suspect was arrested in the village of Qurna, west of Luxor, days after the British citizen reported the attack.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak to reporters, said the suspect confessed and was referred to prosecutors for further investigation ahead of trial. Rape can carry the death sentence in Egypt.

Egypt has seen a rising wave of sexual violence, a phenomenon that has long been underreported in the conservative country. But recent mob attacks on women in public spaces have prompted the government to declare a tougher policy, increasing sentences on sexual harassment and convening a number of speedy trials against perpetrators of mass public assaults.

The British citizen, who lives in Egypt, told police last week that the suspect had first verbally harassed her as she walked to the market in Qurna. On her way back, the suspect dragged her into a banana plantation and raped her under the threat of a knife, the official said. The British woman identified the suspect during investigation, leading to his arrest Saturday.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/108582.aspx

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:53 pm

When Dusak posted the info from his taxi driver I accepted the general gist of the post and figured that something along those lines happened. Specific details may have been skewed but usually, in my experience, if something significant happens it IS on everybody's lips - the general gist is being talked about and passed around however specific details might be off. These same specific little details can be sorted later.

I mean really if we had to wait so that exactly every bit of minutia could be verified nothing would ever make it on here for months.

If there is an emergent matter I always figure that specifics will come along in due course and personally I can assimilate new info into what I already know. Mind like a closed trap isn't moi.

BTW - good they got the guy and very good the lady was able to ID him.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:02 am

Bombay wrote:Must have been a quick printed newspaper we heard about this on Thur which was the 14th. It does not take long usually for information to get around Luxor don't forget there is a coffee shop nearly every 200ft!
Except the story first made the Arabic press on the 10th...

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:43 am

Dusak-Just because you and I may not see eye to eye on a lot of issues and I disagree with your views, does not mean I have it out for you personally. Is that so hard for you to understand?

As for the remarks about Britain and the US, this is irrelevant, as we are in Egypt. So get your noses out of the British sky and look at the issue at hand. I did say that it would be advised to take someone along with you who could explain your presence to save you hassle or safety risks, but failing to get permission in advance is not a lack of politeness. The only ones who can decide whether you should be in a particular public place or not are the police.

There is absolutely nothing untoward, unseemly, or rude about showing up and walking in some public streets to learn about how people live in those areas. Just because you are a white tourist in an area that doesn't see many, you shouldn't be made to feel you are an interloper doing something wrong. Would you expect someone with a black face or a Pakistani walking in a British neighborhood that was all white to get advance permission and call it "politeness"? I would hope not.

However, in my experience, people who aren't used to dealing with tourists and in areas that never normally see tourists or foreigners are a lot better at treating those tourists like ordinary human beings like themselves, than in areas like central Luxor.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:54 am

It would be just desserts for said intrepid tourist to wander into any village outside Luxor unannounced and find themselves mobbed by all the kids running up yelling "Halo. What u nem?" and If said intrepid traveller is naïve enough to offer up so much as 1 bonbon they'll become like the Pied Piper of Hamlin.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:59 am

This area, so I am lead to believe GD is just a small village that the only way around is by foot. The groups of houses are only reached this way because the byways are so narrow that even a tut tuck can not get through. They have no mosque, shops or coffee houses. School for the kids, if any go, is a two hour walk away. Even the local buses do not cover this area and they go everywhere.

It is a very rural habitat that is solely dependent of crop farming. My friends brother that has a friend living there, hence his visit at a later date, says that there are only two people with TV's. When we had the very heavy rain a couple of years back the village lost nine house that just basically liquified. All roofs are made of palm fronds.

My friends brother says they do not like strangers in their village unless invited or known by at least some of those living there. My friends brother says to expect most women that are sitting outside to go inside when they see us approach, and most children will go with them. These are the reasons to get the OK to wonder round. The people of rural areas, cut off from main stream strangers are very suspicious people. I just happened to mention if we should take anything for a gift, was surprised to be told a bag of long life light bulbs.

I do not get your words concerning GB and the USA. I can only assume that the nose comment is an indication that you see me going around with my head in the clouds. A far better location in my view than having it permanently stuck up my rear orifice.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:01 am

If it is such a big imposition, then why not wander somewhere else? There are other villages off the beaten path that aren't so sensitive about strangers (or should I say xenophobic?). Whether people like it or not, a public street is a public street and you don't have the right to tell people not to walk on it. You want to live in a walled compound, then put a gate up at the end of your street or property, otherwise I think any public access way should be open to all. I say that, also being on the receiving end of such passers-by. Imagine what it is like to live in front of a schools complex in Egypt and understand how that makes your front step a bit off limits for several hours every day, but it isn't my right to tell the kids to stay inside the school grounds when they aren't in class either.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:15 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:If it is such a big imposition, then why not wander somewhere else? There are other villages off the beaten path that aren't so sensitive about strangers (or should I say xenophobic?). Whether people like it or not, a public street is a public street and you don't have the right to tell people not to walk on it. You want to live in a walled compound, then put a gate up at the end of your street or property, otherwise I think any public access way should be open to all. I say that, also being on the receiving end of such passers-by. Imagine what it is like to live in front of a schools complex in Egypt and understand how that makes your front step a bit off limits for several hours every day, but it isn't my right to tell the kids to stay inside the school grounds when they aren't in class either.
It seems to me that we should be asking your permission!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:48 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:It would be just desserts for said intrepid tourist to wander into any village outside Luxor unannounced and find themselves mobbed by all the kids running up yelling "Halo. What u nem?" and If said intrepid traveller is naïve enough to offer up so much as 1 bonbon they'll become like the Pied Piper of Hamlin.
If the news that started this thread was to be believed, a tourist was raped in the middle of Gezira while out buying bread. Considering how many forum members live/lived in Gezira or pass through there on a regular basis to/from the ferry, the chance of kids asking for candy off the beaten path hardly should be a contentious matter in comparison.

Sarah Jane

Post by Sarah Jane » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:07 pm

The banana fields in that part of Gazera will have seen plenty of not so nice things going on as it seems to be a draw for locals up to no good.I am always weary walking along that bit of road as you don't know who is going to appear from the fields. I do know who the woman is and I cannot imagine that she would be reporting this if it did not happen and as she has few friends in Luxor then I imagine she only had her husband to tell and then the police hence no-one knowing. This may be enough for them to leave as they have not lived in Luxor for long.
Lets hope the police use there new powers to deal with this man.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Sarah Jane, please give your friend my regards, I hope that she soon recovers from this horrible experience.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:32 pm

Sarah Jane, like Carrie I would like to send your friend all the best and hope that, given time, she can overcome this trauma. I'd also like you to thank her for involving the police - something that cannot be easy in any country, as we know from the accounts of all too many women. In doing so she has helped protect others.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:34 am

This reminds me of an incident that happened to me in Chicago once. I was leaving my building at noon on Sunday (when you would not expect trouble) to go to the supermarket 2 or 3 blocks away. There was a man standing outside the entrance to the building who muttered some very threatening and suggestive remarks. When I got to the supermarket I immediately searched for a policeman or security guard, not feeling safe about going back in the building if he was still hanging out outside. I don't remember if I found one but I did resolve to stay away from the building if he was still there when I returned as I was worried that he might force his way in. He was gone by time I got back, but if he had been, I would not have approached the building. One can never be too careful in such situations. If a man seems threatening in an area you are going to have pass through again shortly, get some help first or make sure he is gone before you do or take another route.

As for this guy who got caught, it seems he may have fallen into the same trap that every dumb murderer/rapist of a foreigner seems to get caught in, stealing the victim's phone. Or at least that is the only way I can imagine they tracked him down all the way to Esna. Offering up your phone to your attacker may be a good strategy to catch them later on...

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:41 am

I see a lot of men on the streets with what I perceive as having a threatening look of their faces, but most times they are just squinting against the sun or have a nervous tick. I would never get anywhere if I was to await patiently for these miss judged individuals to go.

It is the sugar cane fields not too far from that area that my friends sister was found with a bullet in her head. But no doubt GD would say it was her fault, as it was the fault of this other poor woman that was attacked. Well, [deep sigh] I hold my hands up once again towards you GD in complete and unconditional surrender. I bow down in an act of shown supplication to your superior knowledge. You have won the argument hands down. I will say no more.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:57 am

No one knows tha facts of this case and I find speculation about it completely distasteful. It doesn't matter how or where the man was caught. If the man looked suspicious or not.
Please Sarah Jane give your friend all the support you can, she will need it, I hope she is surrounded now by loving friends and family.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 am

Dusak and Carrie-Distasteful is when you put words into someone's mouth about rape and murder. And perhaps "distasteful" is an understatement for your little tag team action above.

It's unfortunate and inexcusable that anyone was raped or murdered. Shouldn't have to be said, but to put your disgusting comments into perspective, I said it.

HOWEVER, if there is any way some good can come out of such horrible situations, it is in reflecting on the situation and expressing ideas about how we can all better protect ourselves. We can't change what happened in the past to other women, but we can think of ways to protect ourselves in the future. But silly me, I made the mistake of thinking this forum was about mutually helping one another. I should have known from past behavior of forum members making baseless and vile accusations about others' attitudes about sexual assault that sexual assault is just an excuse for personal attacks.

And yes, it is absolutely relevant to speculate how he was caught. 1-Because only the right man should be behind bars, 2-It helps us to protect ourselves if we are in similar situations in the future to know how attackers can be tracked down.

Why is everyone in this forum so hateful? Why? I really don't understand it.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:16 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:Dusak and Carrie-Distasteful is when you put words into someone's mouth about rape and murder. And perhaps "distasteful" is an understatement for your little tag team action above.

It's unfortunate and inexcusable that anyone was raped or murdered. Shouldn't have to be said, but to put your disgusting comments into perspective, I said it.

HOWEVER, if there is any way some good can come out of such horrible situations, it is in reflecting on the situation and expressing ideas about how we can all better protect ourselves. We can't change what happened in the past to other women, but we can think of ways to protect ourselves in the future. But silly me, I made the mistake of thinking this forum was about mutually helping one another. I should have known from past behavior of forum members making baseless and vile accusations about others' attitudes about sexual assault that sexual assault is just an excuse for personal attacks.

And yes, it is absolutely relevant to speculate how he was caught. 1-Because only the right man should be behind bars, 2-It helps us to protect ourselves if we are in similar situations in the future to know how attackers can be tracked down.

As a member of this forum I take exception to your use of "everyone" in those last words GD :stp

As for the rest of your tirade....and with reference to those last words....."pot - kettle -black"
Last edited by newcastle on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:26 am

Everyone was a bit of a sweeping statement Glyph' . :tk
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Dusak and Carrie-Distasteful is when you put words into someone's mouth about rape and murder. And perhaps "distasteful" is an understatement for your little tag team action above.

It might have something to do with the fact that you have an attitude problem.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:34 pm

I'm not sure why this thread is titled Attempted Rape/Rape. Either it was or it wasn't. Surely the victim knows if her personal space was violated.

But whichever, it is still unacceptable.