WIZARD'S DEPORTATION.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

WIZARD'S DEPORTATION.

Post by WIZARD »

WIZARD'S DEPORTATION.

March 2012.
Went to The Passport office to renew my Annual Visa. I filled in the necessary paperwork and left. I would return later to collect my new visa. a couple of hours later. When I returned, I was handed back my Passport by Madam Nubia (minus both my new visa and my LE100 fee) and told to return the next day.

On my return the following day, I was told by Madam Sabah to return in 10 days time as they had a clerical problem (there was some confusion between myself and someone else).

Over the next three months I returned to the Passport office religiously, only to be told, time and again by Madam Sabah to return in a further 10 days time.

On the day President Morsi was declared President I was in the Passport office. I was given my Passport back with an unfamiliar round stamp stating I was (Over stay), and was told that I must return to my own country within two weeks. Of course I asked why, and was told by Madam Sabah that ''She didn't know''. I was advised by Madam Sabah to go up to Cairo who had issued the over stay in the first place

During that time, I visited every official in Luxor to find out what was going on. No one could give me a straight answer.
I assumed that I had been deported and had been given 14 days to tie up my affairs before leaving.

At this time I was having some medical issues with my health which ruled out airplane travel. I decided to motor up to Cairo and consult a top lawyer as to my legal position here in Egypt. He found out that a new law had been issued regarding tourists and passport visas.

No tourist was allowed to stay in Egypt on a yearly tourist visa more than three years without revisiting their own country. Now it was all clear.

The lawyer had advised that I could fly from Luxor to Cairo to London, to Cairo and back to Luxor. There was a minimum 24 hour stay out of the country which made it all legal.

I arranged travel documents with American Express in Luxor. At the same time I met up with retired Ex General Hufis and told him the whole story so far, he was most informative. He told me that there was indeed a new law regarding visa's but had not been well publicised.

Looking back, I think Madam Sabah and Madam Nubia didn't know much about the new law and were trying to advise me to go up to Cairo to sort it out.

So off I went on Wednesday the 27th August flying from Luxor to Cairo (assisted travel) Then from Cairo to London on Thursday the 28th August (assisted travel). Then from London to Cairo (assisted travel) and that's when all the trouble started.

I had booked (assisted travel) because of my health issues, but no assistance was given in any form in Cairo. I was left to struggle alone along those endless corridors. It was chaotic, three airplanes had all arrived at the same time, and everyone was rushing to passport control for their visa's. I was completely ignored as I became overwhelmed and suffered chest pains, poring perspiration and was unable to walk because of the Gout, sciatica and Lumbago in my leg.

Eventually I was rescued by a porter who asked me if I needed a Doctor. It must have been obvious, even to him, that I was in urgent need of medical attention. I was then whipped off to a room and was seen by a man who purported to be a Doctor. I was given a glycerol- tri- nitrate under my tongue. and my passport confiscated. I was then taken down to a holding room and left there with others without food or water for almost 48 hours. The heat was unbearable as there where only two small windows and no Air Conditioning. in the room were about 13 or so bunk beds and a few chairs. The floor was covered with vomit, urine, blood, human excrement and general filth. I truly believed I was going to be tortured, abused and left to die in this hell hole. I was allowed no visitors at all. I managed to alert friends in Luxor and Cairo on my mobile before the power gave out.

After two days in this awful state being denied Air, Food, human contact and most importantly water, I started to hallucinate.

My Lawyer and his assistant from Cairo came to see me but were not allowed. Also Mr Emile from Luxor and his assistant Mr Mena who had sold me the air ticket from American Express in Luxor where outside but where not allowed to se me or talk to me either.

I was interrogated by a General who spoke English. All he seemed to be interested in was the number of the house in Luxor where I have a flat. The interview was a farce. I couldn't think through lack of food. I couldn't talk as my mouth was stuck dry with lack of water. I was in great pain through lack of medication and I was hallucinating because of the heat.
My Friends in Cairo and Luxor had to pay £1,000 to have me flown back to London via Frankfurt. The Embassy did not visit me, but I did have a phone call telling me the tickets had been paid for by my friends

PART TWO TO FOLLOW

WIZARD

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Re: WIZARD'S DEPORTATION.

Post by Ruby Slippers »

This is horrific reading, Wizard! :o

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

Disgusting :( you know besides all the other **** that is going on in Egypt, then listening to how they treat ex-pats that have lived here for a very long time without any trouble makes me more and more tired of living here, I honestly can see myself leaving soon, the place has started to get me down more and more since the revolution, in the past the urge to leave were minimum, now it's a few times a week with some of the **** I hear or encounter :(

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Don't understand Wizard I have a friend who has lived here 20 years, not been out of the country for over 12 yet went to get the visa renewed last week no problem.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

The only 3 year visa law I have heard was issued in the last few years concerned work visas. Anyone who had an existing work permit could continue in their job indefinitely, but new work permits were to be for a maximum of 3 years during which time the foreigner was to train their Egyptian replacement.

It sounds like you were treated terribly, but what made you believe that you could actually re-enter the country after you left? I was actually surprised they didn't arrest you and put you on the first plane out when you went to Cairo the first time last month as soon as you set foot in the passport office there.

They might not have let you back in two years ago, but your chances were probably better then than they were now. Not only did you have an order of deportation on your head, but now you added being on the run from it for 2 years. Even if the original problem was a matter of mistaken identity, you added to that your own willful disregard for the deportation order, giving them another reason to ban you from entry. During that time you could have made arrangements to leave on your own terms rather than wait for this to happen.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

I recall a few years back a certain women who stated on Facebook that the trustees had reported wizard for something he said bad about the charity they run, she said the were trying to get him deported. I was told that this person and their Egyptian partner had also paid the manager at the visa office to stop me getting a visa too, when I eventually went for my visa they messed me around with similar crap to Wizard "come back in 10 days", I complained a lot and eventually got my visa (6 months though, but that's what everyone else where getting at the time), the last time I got my visa elsewhere, "NO PROBLEM AT ALL" so it shows that something is going on in the Luxor passport office (corruption) after all it's the same computer information that is displayed on the screen regardless if you get your visa at Aswan, Cairo, Hurghada etc.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

And it appears that same person who was trying to get you deported was also deported after some other expats made some complaints to get that person deported. As if a foreigner informing on another foreigner is to be trusted in the first place when it comes to national security.

I don't think I mentioned it before but there was something in the news back in June about the Luxor governorate giving orders that its employees were not to attend any foreign-sponsored/run training programs or workshops. The reason being that these were suspected as recruiting events by foreign intelligence entities. There definitely is an air of suspicion about some foreigners in Luxor at the moment.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

A most horrendous experience WIZARD, and not something anyone should have to bare. If it had not come from your own mouth I would not have believed that a foreigner, especially of your mature years and ill health, could be treated in such a way. It is beyond understanding why the Embassy did not intercede on your behalf in regards to your incarceration and the inhuman conditions that you were held. What was the news article Keefy posted earlier on to day, ''the protection of innocent citizens?''
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Did you contact the Embassy Wizard? If so what was their response?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

The British Consulate in Cairo was emailed and the Emergency Helpline (based in UK) contacted. I was under the impression that the Duty Officer had actually seen and spoken to Wiz, however I am now not convinced.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

HEPZIBAH wrote:The British Consulate in Cairo was emailed and the Emergency Helpline (based in UK) contacted. I was under the impression that the Duty Officer had actually seen and spoken to Wiz, however I am now not convinced.
NEVER and I mean never have I heard anyone say anything good about the embassy when they needed help, USELESS is the word I hear time and time again.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I should say that things were compounded by it being a Friday - not a good day to have problems in Egypt but also those contacted in the UK, not just the consular section, seemed to be all finishing early for the weekend. So really three days when you may not get as much help as you need when you need it most.

Please plan your emergencies carefully so they happen Tues - Thurs. I exclude Mondays because you guarantee if it involved a Monday it would be one of those rare Bank Holiday's we get in the UK! :roll:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

A friend once called the American embassy emergency line on a weekend. She needed help regarding another American citizen and the situation involved a health threat to the citizen and indirectly public safety. Someone picked up the phone and immediately hung it up again!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I once had to have dealings with the Canadian Embassy and I can't praise them enough they were brilliant.
Back to Wizard though is the situation now that he can't return, even though he was told that the reason that his visa was withheld was because he had not left the country and if he did so then he could return?
If that is the case looks like someone has been telling porkies.
Last I heard he was with Mary and George, hope he is still there and safe, recovering from his horrible ordeal.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I've noticed they tend to prefer to return people to where they came from upon arrival at the airport before they are legally admitted rather than go through the process of forcibly removing them from the country, even when that option is available to them. Therefore, telling them they can leave and come back makes that easier. This would not be the first case like this.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am terribly sorry Wiz for the horrendous experience you had to endure. Must've been just awful.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

phpBB [video]

I was born by the river in a little tent
Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

It's been too hard living but I'm afraid to die
Cause I don't know what's up there beyond the sky

I go to the movie and I go downtown somebody keep telling me don't hang around

Then I go to my brother
And I say brother help me please
But he winds up knockin' me
Back down on my knees

Ohhhhhhhhh.....

There been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on
Artist
Sam Cooke
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

I haven't been around on here for a while so I'm guessing by peoples comments that there isn't a happy ending to this story?? I do hope Wiz is safe, wherever he is. Strangely I was just thinking about him the other day whilst on my travels - how peculiar!

Alistair1967

Post by Alistair1967 »

Absolutely shocking story, Wizard. I hope you have recovered from this appalling treatment.