WIZARD'S DEPORTATION (part two)

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by WIZARD » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:25 am

My ticket back to London had been paid for by my friends. I was taken to the Lufthansa (Check In) by the Police, and both my ticket, and passport went through the usual security checks. I then moved to the (assisted travel section). My friends had paid £1.000 for a business class Air ticket (with assistance) from Cairo to London, via Frankfurt. What a relief on touch-down to get back to civilisation.

I was given the best seat on the plane and fell into a deep sleep soon after take off, I was too tired to eat. When I awoke I noticed that those who had been sitting near me had been moved. I must have stunk to high heaven of the disgusting nauseating, filth of the holding room in which I had been incarcerated in Cairo. The stench of dried vomit, urine and damp filthy clothing must have been too revolting for other passengers to bare. My walking stick had slid on the floor a number of times and I had fallen on the slippery dirty floor in the holding room. My clothes had become soaked in all manner of disgusting things I had fallen into.

On arriving at Frankfurt I made straight for the nearest disabled toilet to clean myself up. I had no clean cloths of any kind to put on. I washed as much of myself as I could and sprayed myself and my clothes several times with deodorant sprays till each can was empty. I'd stripped myself naked in order to wash myself clean and suddenly to my horror I noticed in the mirrors on the walls the many bruises my body had sustained from the numerous falls I had suffered on the slippery slimy floor of the notorious hell hole back in Cairo.

WIZARD'S DEPORTATION (part three to follow)
Last edited by WIZARD on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

WIZARD

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: WIZARD'S DEPORTATION (part two)

Post by carrie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:31 am

Hope you have been in touch with the Foreign Office there in Britain. I know they can't do anything about your deportation, after all it is up to the Egyptians who they allow to stay in their country, but the treatment you received was terrible.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Wizard, what happens now about all your personal possessions in Egypt? Your home? Are there friends who could go to your home and remove things for you and bring them back to the UK? It's at times like these that you find out just who your friends really are!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:38 pm

I'm sure that Wizard has someone to take care of his things left behind here, but Wizard if you are not allowed to return what are you going to do? Have you been in touch with any of the authorities about finding somewhere to live, after living here so long I am sure that you don't have suitable clothes for the UK winters. Thinking of you Wizard and will call in your church and light a candle for you.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:24 pm

My sympathies Wiz. Sounds like you were really put through the wringer. Wishing you the Best of Luck with your return to the UK.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:25 am

I'm sure the police have already taken care of searching his things in his flat for whatever they suspect him for and have interrogated whoever rented it to him. Why do you think they were so insistent on asking him about his address?

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by WIZARD » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:40 am

Thank you for that Glyph. As usual your posts are most informative and reassuring, but I believe in this case, right will out in the end, even though Egypt is, at the moment, a very, very dangerous place to be, especially for the innocent.

Even you Glyph, particularly as an American woman married to an Egyptian man and living in Egypt, have no more immunity then the rest of us.

So beware the beasts that call in the night, and pray that they haven't come to get you, at least before you've had time to pack up and return to the safety of your American homeland.

Last edited by WIZARD on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
WIZARD

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:51 am

This sort of action concerning the visa's is indeed troubling. Yesterday while we visited a friends home, another friend there said that yesterday he went to re-new his visa. He arrived back at 2pm to pick it up and received the same polite and courteous treatment as usual. At the counter there were three English women. One was demanding to know why she had been refused her renewal visa. The woman behind the counter was shouting back ''no more visa, no more visa.'' An Egyptian man approached the counter and asked why his friend was being refused her renewal. He was just told to leave as it was not his business. My friend left before seeing the final outcome of the argument.

So, was the refusal down to ''intelligence being provided'' concerning the life style of this woman? With any luck she or her friends may be a member on here so could shed a little light as to why this happened.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:11 am

Sharia law is pretty strict and isn't exactly an unknown in the region. Could be that times are a changing to a more conservative basis where tolerance for any difference (real or perceived) isn't going to be tolerated. Sweeps could be starting and a smart person would start them subtly and not on a 'round 'em up, move 'em out' en masse basis.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:51 am

I have immunity from being deported as I have Egyptian citizenship.

I don't know whether your initial visa denial was justified or not. But I do know you ignored the order to leave for two years, and that part of the story seems to have been left out by you, and therefore I think at that point they were justified in denying you re-entry because you ignored the order to leave, regardless of the reasons they initially wanted you to leave.

I am mystified why you believed you would be re-admitted. Yes, I know what you were told-about the 3 year thing etc. and whether that law actually exists or not, since you also overstayed after they told you to leave, did you not ever entertain the possibility that once you were out, you would not get back in? Asked around to see if anyone else had been hit by this alleged 3 year law? Asked to see the exact text of the law? Taken some precautions to pack your stuff and take it with you, arrange to move somewhere else, etc.? You could have flown back to London and applied for a new tourist visa there and saw what happened first, before hopping on a plane back to Egypt.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:00 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:I have immunity from being deported as I have Egyptian citizenship.

I don't know whether your initial visa denial was justified or not. But I do know you ignored the order to leave for two years, and that part of the story seems to have been left out by you, and therefore I think at that point they were justified in denying you re-entry because you ignored the order to leave, regardless of the reasons they initially wanted you to leave.

I am mystified why you believed you would be re-admitted. Yes, I know what you were told-about the 3 year thing etc. and whether that law actually exists or not, since you also overstayed after they told you to leave, did you not ever entertain the possibility that once you were out, you would not get back in? Asked around to see if anyone else had been hit by this alleged 3 year law? Asked to see the exact text of the law? Taken some precautions to pack your stuff and take it with you, arrange to move somewhere else, etc.? You could have flown back to London and applied for a new tourist visa there and saw what happened first, before hopping on a plane back to Egypt.
Whilst I fully understand what you are saying, it should be pointed out that even if such preparations had been made, applying for and receiving (should it be granted ) a visa to enter Egypt from the Egyptian Embassy/Consulate in London still does not guarantee entry and refusal can be made at the point of Immigration Control. This is would be the case no matter who you are - first time tourist, regular visitor or master criminal...and everyone in between.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:01 am

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Sharia law is pretty strict and isn't exactly an unknown in the region. Could be that times are a changing to a more conservative basis where tolerance for any difference (real or perceived) isn't going to be tolerated. Sweeps could be starting and a smart person would start them subtly and not on a 'round 'em up, move 'em out' en masse basis.
Or the security services know things about people that the rest of us don't know. Let's say they deport someone because they have evidence the person is a pedophile, would that person tell everyone, "Oh I must have been deported because I like young boys"? Of course not. They'd blame it on someone having a grudge against them, or just random whatever, or just clam up and not explain it at all. But I doubt they are randomly choosing every tenth person to deport and the fact of the matter is if someone makes some claims against you, they also have every ability to confirm whether they are true or not.

And there is nothing new. Many people have been deported from the airport. Look back at the news over the past 6 or 7 years and you will find many cases mentioned, most of them involving journalists and other high profile people though and the like that would make the news. Even George Galloway was deported from the airport. And most found themselves with others in that room at the airport so there are certainly lots of cases we never hear about.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:24 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Whilst I fully understand what you are saying, it should be pointed out that even if such preparations had been made, applying for and receiving (should it be granted ) a visa to enter Egypt from the Egyptian Embassy/Consulate in London still does not guarantee entry and refusal can be made at the point of Immigration Control. This is would be the case no matter who you are - first time tourist, regular visitor or master criminal...and everyone in between.
True, but he had stamps in his passport that he was to leave the country and they would have been able to see from the dates that he had ignored that order. They may have taken one look at the passport in London and refused to issue another one. It's not a guarantee of course but it would have narrowed down the possibility for sure.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:29 am

I have been told that over 60 you do not need a visa, however if you need to license a car you need a visa. Anyone know more on this?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:33 am

Bombay wrote:I have been told that over 60 you do not need a visa, however if you need to license a car you need a visa. Anyone know more on this?
That's a new one on me. Certainly there is no indication on any of the official visa information pages - UK or Egyptian - that this is the case.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:43 am

Glyphdoctor wrote: Why do you think they were so insistent on asking him about his address?
:lol: So Wiz has lived here for I think 25 years stayed in the same flat for the last x number of years, every visa he got he put his address of where he was living and most likely his mobile number, So they knew where he lived, I bet 100% that even if they did not have the visa application info, they still knew where he lived.

What I want to know, did Wiz own the property he lived in? cause in the past there seems to be a pattern of those who were not allowed back in the country had property, all of these (except 1) had an Egyptian boyfriend/husband, who now seems to be the owner of the property, seems very fishy to me.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:46 am

But the man at the airport maybe did not know that. It doesn't seem strange for them to ask this to make sure his last address is still the same.

Even if Wiz did not own the property, if he had it for 25 years, then he rented it under the old law (which existed up to 1996), which means the owner would not been able to remove him from the flat or raise his rent...unless of course, he left and didn't have a valid visa anymore, in which case, I believe, the lease would have automatically expired.

Even the standard new law printed rent forms sold in shops have a clause that if you leave the country, the owner can take back the flat before the date the lease is set to expire (although this is not in the law itself). We made sure to have that clause crossed out in our lease as we wanted to cover ourselves if we decided to go abroad for an extended period.
Last edited by Glyphdoctor on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:51 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:But the man at the airport maybe did not know that. It doesn't seem strange for them to ask this to make sure his last address is still the same.
I was under the impression that it was the man who interrogated him that kept asking for his address, surly this man would have had every bit of information with him. this is Egypt no one will get to the bottom of it, I still believe that someone was paid to put that refusal stamp in his passport.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:59 am

DJKeefy wrote:
What I want to know, did Wiz own the property he lived in? cause in the past there seems to be a pattern of those who were not allowed back in the country had property, all of these (except 1) had an Egyptian boyfriend/husband, who now seems to be the owner of the property, seems very fishy to me.
It is fishy that they are now owners, but that doesn't necessarily mean that was the reason for the deportations. It may just be correlation you are seeing, not a cause.

I don't think we can know or assume that Wiz did something wrong to get his visa refused OR that anyone else paid someone off to get him deported. We simply don't have that information.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:04 am

Glyphdoctor wrote: I don't think we can know or assume that Wiz did something wrong to get his visa refused OR that anyone else paid someone off to get him deported. We simply don't have that information.

My visa is due soon, so we will see then if my theory holds any ground to start pointing fingers.