WIZARD'S DEPORTATION (part three)

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

WIZARD'S DEPORTATION (part three)

Post by WIZARD » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:24 am

I arrived back into Heathrow with a great sense of relief. I passed through immigration without incident and was welcomed HOME by a very kindly immigration officer. After what would seemed like a million miles I eventually arrived at the baggage department. The long walk had made me feel quite ill and I collapsed at the bottom of a stair well. The next thing I remember was when I was surrounded by a number of Paramedics. They administered their high degree of technical skill and reassuring care, (a far cry from the lack of treatment I was denied in Cairo).

My dear friends Barbara, Mary and George were waiting for me in the arrivals hall (unaware of my dice with death). I was taken into the care of my dear, dear friends whom I love and cherish most tenderly.

WIZARD'S DEPORTATION (part four to follow).

WIZARD

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: WIZARD'S DEPORTATION (part three)

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:50 am

WIZARD wrote:I arrived back into Heathrow with a great sense of relief. I passed through immigration without incident and was welcomed HOME by a very kindly immigration officer. After what would seemed like a million miles I eventually arrived at the baggage department. The long walk had made me feel quite ill and I collapsed at the bottom of a stair well. The next thing I remember was when I was surrounded by a number of Paramedics. They administered their high degree of technical skill and reassuring care, (a far cry from the lack of treatment I was denied in Cairo).

My dear friends Barbara, Mary and George were waiting for me in the arrivals hall (unaware of my dice with death). I was taken into the care of my dear, dear friends whom I love and cherish most tenderly.

WIZARD'S DEPORTATION (part four to follow).
I will interject at this point and say that I knew the moment I saw the Paramedic team arrive who they were for. At the time I could not even be sure he was on that flight from Frankfurt. Trying to establish the fact with airport staff is extremely difficult because of all the data/information/confidentiality laws. Trying to get them to contact staff airside and pass on information is also very difficult. This was a situation where I did not know if word had managed to reach Wiz before his journey that I would be there to meet him and he had no idea that Mary and George would be. His phone was dead by this point and being out of it anyway he would not have been able to tell them to look for my number on it. So it could so easily have become a case of him being taken off to goodness knows where by ambulance and then been very hard to find. Thankfully, I had a recent photograph of Wiz (taken when he arrived the first time) and was able to give some other information to the airline. They were then able to confirm that Wiz had been on the flight but could not give me further information.

I learnt a lesson from this and would recommend to anyone who is meeting folk at the airport to:
a) carry their own passport or other form of ID. (I was asked for this.) Thankfully I had it and my driving licence with me.
b) have a recent photo of the person they are meeting.
c) be aware of the name used on the passport if different to the name commonly used. (No I did not go and ask if Wizard was on the flight but I did know full name and common usage name.)
I'm sure the fact that George had made a name card - the sort chauffeurs uses when doing meet and greet - didn't go amiss either when the paramedics wheeled Wiz through to the ambulance.

Finally, all credit to the London Ambulance Service Medic Team 5 who attended that afternoon and looked after Wiz. The young woman in particular could not have been more caring, reassuring and helpful.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley