The snake man, a wizard and a spell.

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

The snake man, a wizard and a spell.

Post by Dusak » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Couple of hours ago I attempted to show sympathy and understanding in regards to a phone call from my friend but found it difficult to contain my laughter. She was very upset to tell me that the nine chickens they had in the coop for the visitors for the engagement and wedding had been slaughtered in an orgy of blood lust by what she describes as the biggest snake in Egypt. As she described its length as being ''this big,''by holding her arms outstretched, as if I could see this over the phone, it reminded me of one of the fishing it got away stories by one of my past brother in laws that invented the word exaggeration, it slipped the hook but it was this big ((( :cheer: ))). She said that it must of jumped out of one of the overhanging trees. I told her snakes can't jump, she says they do, so I can't argue with that fact.

All the family were hiding in the house as her brother went to the next village to get the snake man. Who's he? I stupidly asked. The snake man, she informed me, has a secret spell word from a famous wizard that can talk snake. I said that he had probably been watching too many Harry Potter films. She said that I was not taking the matter seriously enough, as if. So what does the snake man do I asked.

She explained in a very matter of fact way that he would crawl towards the coop on his belly, imitating the snake. As he did this he would keep whispering the secret snake word. So whats the word? I asked. I don't know she replies, its secrete. Stupid me, I should of realized this.

Once inside the coop, the snake apparently would be mesmerized by this action, stand up and walk towards the snake man. Hang on I says, snakes don't have legs or feet as far as I know. Do you think I'm stupid she replies, it uses its tail to hop towards him. Then, as the snake and snake man lock eyes, he grabs its head, hits it with a magic hammer [Maxwell of Beatles fame came to mind] and kills it. He then pulls the teeth out so he can't get revenge when it comes back as a serpent. I asked if she had seen this Egyptian equivalent of the tooth fairy ritual. No she replied, no one is allowed to watch as it could spoil the magic. All for 50Le. I told her it would of been far quicker and cheaper to hit it over the head with a spade. The beliefs that abound in these rural villages never ceases to amaze and amuse me, they truly believe in this stuff.

The dead chickens and the headless, toothless snake are buried together in the garden, another way of making certain that it need not come back as it has plenty of food to eat. How does it do that then I enquired, eat chickens without a head or teeth to chew. OK, marshie, now your taking the **** she replied, yet another of my phrases she has adopted.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: The snakeman, a wizard and a spell.

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Interestinger and interestinger and then the Snake man cometh ......... :D :o

This is all interesting when it comes to a description of the local snake guy and the locals firm unshaking belief in his powers but what about when the topic is female genital circumcision or some such similar? How to combat beliefs that are firmly held, passed on, acted on?

How do we (or should we) try and get others to see the world through our eyes and understand our version of reality? That being said I have memories as a young child of my great grandfather from Ireland firmly believing in the fairies that would blow a door shut or mess a room or tip a cup of hot tea........he firmly believed in the fairies as a way to understand his world.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:31 pm

A friend some years ago had a business, he decided that since it wasn't doing too well someone had put the evil eye on him. So the magic man was sent for, a bowl of water was put in the centre of the room and prayers were said over the water. A piece of cloth was put into the water and after a cup of tea and a fag was taken out again by the magic man. He unrolled the cloth and inspected it and on it was written the name of the man who had put the evil eye on the business. I saw the cloth and couldn't see anything but, who am I. The magic man then went round the business sprinkling salt everywhere. Off he then went and came back with four bottles of water, my friend had to wash his face in this special water for one week when he woke up and wet his hair with it. The spell would then be broken and the evil eye taken off the business.
My friends Mother hardly slept for one week because she was so scared that he would get up and not wash his face immediately on rising she slept with the water to protect it and him.
Don't think the business did much better after that but at least the evil eye had been taken off.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Strange...but it's all very true!

My big sis is Wiccan.
She renounced Catholicism many years ago.

Our dear friends in Luxor went through a very difficult time a few years ago.They asked her to help them.

We went to their home.She invoked spell.I was asked to help out,as sibling connection is very important in magic!

It all meant nothing to me,a load of mumbo-jumbo!I sprinkled stuff here and there,joined my hands,broke bread,said various incantations.Could hardly keep my face straight!
But..they are still insistent to this day that it helped!

They had no more problems.Funny thing was that big sis found a little note tucked down between cushions of the sofa in the home.All written in Arabic..a curse?
They'd never noticed it and truly believe she and I negated the bad omen.

Made them feel good,stopped them worrying...so who am I to say that the spell,help,call it what you will didn't work!

These Egyptians?They're worse than the supersticious Lithuanians!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:Strange...but it's all very true!

My big sis is Wiccan.
She renounced Catholicism many years ago.

Our dear friends in Luxor went through a very difficult time a few years ago.They asked her to help them.

We went to their home.She invoked spell.I was asked to help out,as sibling connection is very important in magic!

It all meant nothing to me,a load of mumbo-jumbo!I sprinkled stuff here and there,joined my hands,broke bread,said various incantations.Could hardly keep my face straight!
But..they are still insistent to this day that it helped!

They had no more problems.Funny thing was that big sis found a little note tucked down between cushions of the sofa in the home.All written in Arabic..a curse?
They'd never noticed it and truly believe she and I negated the bad omen.

Made them feel good,stopped them worrying...so who am I to say that the spell,help,call it what you will didn't work!

These Egyptians?They're worse than the supersticious Lithuanians!
Its probably only me, but, I find the fact that an obviously religious person like yourself can keep a straight face when describing another's beliefs as "mumbo jumbo"

As if yours isn't!

Only amongst the religious!

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:12 pm

I've said before Mr Z.
I have my own faith.That doesn't mean that I don't respect others beliefs!

Yes,I think it's mumbo-jumbo..cos mine is the only true one (as far as I'm concerned!)

But..if it offers help to others then who am I to doubt it?

Faith is personal..religion isn't!
Somewhere,somehow..I believe that My God intervened in this and brought it to satisfactory conclusion.

That's my opinion!
A Catholic and a Wiccan?
Daresay you can't lose with that combination!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:I've said before Mr Z.
I have my own faith.That doesn't mean that I don't respect others beliefs!

Yes,I think it's mumbo-jumbo..cos mine is the only true one (as far as I'm concerned!)

But..if it offers help to others then who am I to doubt it?

Faith is personal..religion isn't!
Somewhere,somehow..I believe that My God intervened in this and brought it to satisfactory conclusion.

That's my opinion!
A Catholic and a Wiccan?
Daresay you can't lose with that combination!
As ive said before, if you were born in Pakistan, the one true faith would be Islam, India, Hinduism, China, Confucianism etc etc.

Does that not make you even the smallest amount suspicious?

Of course not.

So calling another's beliefs "mumbo jumbo" is respecting it is it?

Ok, I think Catholocism is mumbo jumbo.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Lordy,lordy Mr Z.Here we go again!
We are people of the "book."
One God,one supreme entity,one afterlife!

A respect for Islam,Judaism.
It's all the same book,same people,same beliefs..albeit in different words and heirarchy of who we worship.

Catholicism is mumbo-jumbo?
Well, I happen to quite enjoy the symbolism,the mystery..and the quite unknown phenomena that is the power of prayer.

I've seen it's power in action.It really does work..as strange as it seems to an unbeliever!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:40 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:Lordy,lordy Mr Z.Here we go again!
We are people of the "book."
One God,one supreme entity,one afterlife!

A respect for Islam,Judaism.
It's all the same book,same people,same beliefs..albeit in different words and heirarchy of who we worship.

Catholicism is mumbo-jumbo?
Well, I happen to quite enjoy the symbolism,the mystery..and the quite unknown phenomena that is the power of prayer.

I've seen it's power in action.It really does work..as strange as it seems to an unbeliever!
People of the "book"

What book would that be then, the one that was written thousands of years ago by goat herders?

Bound to be gospel then!

Ooops, I best stop here before I get accused of ranting!

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:24 am

Always interesting reading what exception is taken to.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:46 am

Well I awaited with eager anticipation this morning so I could find out if the snakeman did the business. Sadly when my friends brother had arrived at the snakemans retreat, he informed him that he was too late, the spell don't work at night. Of course, this probably had nothing to do with snakes tending to come more alive at night. Its always better to err on the side of caution me thinks when snakes, spells and pitch darkness are concerned. :lol: P.S, she tells me its still curled up under the coop floor.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:12 pm

MD told me a story years ago about a neighbor having a dead cat crucified on her front door, that sounds like a good idea to keep nosey neighbors away, and there is loads of kittens around at present...:cool:
Ps: I have been given 'the greek eye to ward off evil, bags of something to hang in room corners, my kitchen door is surrounded by garlic (that works well) I also have the head of St John the Baptist on a plaque and two masonic symbols one on each back door.
And if all that fails, I have a nice pick axe handle just behind it. 'Be Prepared us ex scouts would say.
Pss: And I just spotted the horse shoe, where that came from god only knows..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 am

Snake still there? Or has the Snake Charmer charmed it into slithering away?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: The snake man, a wizard and a spell.

Post by Dusak » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:55 am

Hot off the press this morning. Her brother got tierd of waiting for the elusive snake man to do the business so he and his other two brothers poked, prodded and thrashed their way through the undergrowth and overhanging trees. This was necessary as they had bought ten new tennis ball sized replacements at 10Le each to re-stock. There was no sight or sound of the silent killer. My friend says that it must of run off [its those feet again] so her brother rang the snake man to tell him not to bother coming as it was gone. ''I know,'' the snake man reply's, ''that's why I didn't come.'' Talk about covering your future income. :lol: Anyway, in a couple of months time when I have the time, I'm going to build them a proper snake proof coop. I just have to Adder the cost up. :up

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Do snakes there have any natural predators?

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:30 pm

It depends on the type of snake. Not all are "poisonous killers" but many types of ant snake, egg snake rat snake etc These can be prayed on by birds. We found a 2 foot long egg snake on our terrace a year or so ago. poor thing was a bit stunned as it had apparently been dropped by a bird. It eventually recovered and slithered off into the garden.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:20 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Do snakes there have any natural predators?
Here its the snake man. Cash on delivery, or expulsion. :up I remember a few years back that the Genesis pub here in Karnak used to engage a so called snake charmer to entertain the tourists. Full to the gunnels with them in those days. He must have had ownership of the most ugliest snake in Egypt. Its face was contorted and it had had its teeth pulled out so it could only suck you to death. Better to ere on the side of caution I suppose. :lol:

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 pm

Sometimes it is those slow sucking bloodsucker snakes that take more out of life and limb than the ones that all out bite with an aggressive sure kill, one bite wipes 'em out vengeance. (Kinda like the gigalos - the slow blood suckers or the ones that strike to get all in one fell swoop)

Do you think, maybe please ask your friend Dusak, if those men there who are snake charmers or snake killers/exterminators really believe in their own powers? Do they really? Or do you think they've just thought up a specific talent or scam to skinny money from tourists as well as locals?

Or are these men from a specific family that carries the dread genetic ability to charm snakes and lure snakes out from under chicken coops etc?

And, if your friend actually believes please ask her why? Just cause it has always been that way? or ?

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:52 pm

I forgot to mention the main natural predator....the mongoose. We sometimes see these in the fields around here.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:09 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Sometimes it is those slow sucking bloodsucker snakes that take more out of life and limb than the ones that all out bite with an aggressive sure kill, one bite wipes 'em out vengeance. (Kinda like the gigalos - the slow blood suckers or the ones that strike to get all in one fell swoop)

Do you think, maybe please ask your friend Dusak, if those men there who are snake charmers or snake killers/exterminators really believe in their own powers? Do they really? Or do you think they've just thought up a specific talent or scam to skinny money from tourists as well as locals?

Or are these men from a specific family that carries the dread genetic ability to charm snakes and lure snakes out from under chicken coops etc?

And, if your friend actually believes please ask her why? Just cause it has always been that way? or ?
In my opinion these men are con men, playing on the superstitious beliefs of the weak minded. They would have more luck charming an eighty year old tourist out of her life's savings than a snake. My friend, as many Egyptian people do, firmly believe in magic, rituals and spells. She refuses to be contradicted on any of it, and boy oh boy do I try. If it works or doesn't work it is Allah's will. YOU just can't win.