Losing faith with Luxor :(

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Losing faith with Luxor :(

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just so I'm sure I'm following:

The discussion on here has deteriorated to whose perceptions of lines/queues and paying tour groups vs paying individual tourists and who gets priority at an open site is correct?

OMG :? :? :? Shoot me now ......... :?

Adamantium

Post by Adamantium »

"We expect tourist numbers to rise to the levels of pre-2011 over the next two years." The Egyptian Government declared on a post I had read today on Facebook. Are they being realistic or overly optimistic?

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Adamantium wrote:"We expect tourist numbers to rise to the levels of pre-2011 over the next two years." The Egyptian Government declared on a post I had read today on Facebook. Are they being realistic or overly optimistic?
If they are referring to other than Red Sea resorts I think that they are being over optimistic. First they have to pursuade the airlines and other travel companies to resume flights to Luxor and aswan.

Adamantium

Post by Adamantium »

"Egypt aims to receive 11 - 11.5 Million tourists in 2015 and generate revenue of $9 - 9.5 Billion, new tourist minister Khaled Rami said on Sunday.

"We have a strategic goal of reaching 20 million tourists in 2020 with revenues of $y to full0Billion." Said Rami who was appointed this month after a cabinet reshuffle.

This month former tourism minister Hesham Zaazou said it would take more time for the industry to fully recover to pre-uprising levels of 14.7million visitors a year.

"It is making a gradual recovery with Egypt receiving 9.9million tourists in 2014, up from 9.5 million."

But are they going to the right places or is this concentration of tourists all up North? The view on the ground seems to yes.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

The new target, and a plane full of them arrived just a few days ago, is Algerians. They are expecting 1.5 million of them in the next year. Not like they are likely to be attracted by "English run" businesses in Luxor though.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Glyphdoctor wrote:The new target, and a plane full of them arrived just a few days ago, is Algerians. They are expecting 1.5 million of them in the next year. Not like they are likely to be attracted by "English run" businesses in Luxor though.
I doubt any "English Run" businesses were designed to attract tourists to Luxor.
Speaking for myself I am happy to attract them after the job of getting them here has been done by those concerned.
I like to think I offer something previously not available in the town, when I first visited 20 years ago there was not a lack of restaurants but certainly a lack of variety.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

No one knows what attracts an individual to visit this country, only that visitor themselves. They may fancy trying a new form of cuisine, unless of course you have spoken to each and every one and know better. :urm: Part of any holiday is experiencing something new.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

The planes or what few of them seem to be full when they fly to Luxor, but 99% are bound for cruises or eve 2 centre holidays taking in the cruise and the Red Sea.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Bombay-I wasn't talking about being attracted to Luxor. I meant being attracted to a particular establishment. That should have been pretty obvious.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Q: Are they being realistic or overly optimistic?
No & Yes in that order…. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

By the news you read, I think most of the investment is being put into the Red Sea Resorts, the new Med. Resorts that you hear are going to be formed, and of course the new Capital City. You never read of any investment in Luxor itself!

Even things that go on in Luxor, you mainly hear about after they have happened, so you cannot support them if you wanted to.

Has anyone on the forum heard of any form of investment coming to Luxor, apart that is from people building new monuments, and the new runway down the Movenpick Road, could that be an emergency runway for planes in trouble?
I know the bridge was an investment to link Luxor to Marsa Alam, but it took years to build, its not finished, and without traffic signals will turn into a danger spot. Also the road from the bridge to Marsa Alam is nowhere like finished.

What about the crumbling infrastructure?

There was some investment a few years ago, around Karnak Temple and the Cornishe, but all has gone to rack and ruin due to lack of money coming into the City, there have over the past 2 years been improvement to roundabouts but now they are overgrown or broken.

So you see there is a lot of money required and that is not coming Luxors way at the moment.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

They were offering up the golden triangle and a 200 million LE Olympic stadium for New Teba at the investment conference. I don't know if anyone took the bite though.

But I think more important than either of these is the high speed train project, for which the local station will likely be to the west of Armant. 2-3 hours travel time to Cairo should open up a lot of opportunities of various kinds.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Glyphdoctor wrote:They were offering up the golden triangle and a 200 million LE Olympic stadium for New Teba at the investment conference. I don't know if anyone took the bite though.

But I think more important than either of these is the high speed train project, for which the local station will likely be to the west of Armant. 2-3 hours travel time to Cairo should open up a lot of opportunities of various kinds.
Don't you have to be awarded the Olympics before you can call/start to build an "Olympic" stadium?

If not then I will start calling my local 5 a side pitches the "Olympic" courts.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

One thing that came out of Sharm was a huge investment to build 6 new hotels in Luxor, I think it was Greece that was putting up the funds… :cool:
Ps: 'One wonders if the financial system here allows you to borrow money off banks and the like, then to 'rip-them, when they discover the hotel and their money has 'gone-south, used to be very popular scam in the UK.
Sophocles.

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

I was told by my taxi driver a Dhayabaya was hired to take investors for a sail to view hotel sites the other day.

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

Back to the subject though, yes! I think people are right when they say they are loosing faith in Luxor, and its maybe down to the fact nothing has moved forward and all you hear is investment going to other areas, these things will make some a bit disapointed, and wondering what the future will be. However I personally think things will pick up but not in the time people think. There is just too much to do, and too many people that need to be taught. While the spotlight is off Luxor it may be the right time to start putting the wrongs right so in the future the City will be able to welcome guests. At the moment all you see is photo's of temples etc bein plastered all over the internet, but when you look closely, many will ask "Where are the Tourists, the place looks empty" Most people around the World know the tourism of Luxor has been decimated, the question is, "What is going to be done about it" When this can be answered everyone will benefit.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

One more time, and it probably won't be the last time, talk about 'hitting a f***ing donkey over his head with a large rock!

" They ain't coming back any of them, it's not viable goddit? "

Asians, Chinese, that's the market up-market. My mate a yank brings 10 rich spending Yanks on a historical/intellectual tour 5 times a year, solely So she can spend more time here.
Get clever! think clever! forget tourists it aint gona happen again, well not in your or my lifetime,
Be' Jesus remove the 'blinds it's business you lot just don't 'geddit do you ?
Ps: Perhaps you have never been in business, successfully that is!
Sophocles.

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

What do you call the Golden Triangle GD? presumably its around the Lower Egypt area of Cairo. Never heard that terminology used before.

The tourists will come back eventually, teachings and education will rouse the minds of a new generation of people wanting to see the historic sites, but maybe a generation will be missing.

What this new generation will expect from a holiday destination is something we do not know, but I would expect they will want more than what is on offer at the moment. That is why work has to be done.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Luxor Pharoahs wrote:What do you call the Golden Triangle GD? presumably its around the Lower Egypt area of Cairo. Never heard that terminology used before.

The tourists will come back eventually, teachings and education will rouse the minds of a new generation of people wanting to see the historic sites, but maybe a generation will be missing.

What this new generation will expect from a holiday destination is something we do not know, but I would expect they will want more than what is on offer at the moment. That is why work has to be done.
The term " Golden Triangle" has been around for some years.

Quote :

The Egyptian government decided to take serious procedures related to the implementation of the ‘Golden Triangle’ – Qena, Quseir and Safaga – in the next few days.
This 6000 sq km project was presented by President Abdul Fattah El Sisi during his visit to the United States.

An official source told Al-Masry Al-Yaum newspaper that the Industrial Development Authority will receive financial and technical offers from global think tanks at the end of September in order to select one of them to prepare the project blueprint.

The project will capitalize on the natural resources and mineral wealth in the region between Qena, Quseir and Safaga, while also developing the area for tourism-related, industrial, commercial and agricultural opp

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

No, the golden triangle I am talking about is the Savoy Hotel land. A meeting had been scheduled between the governor and the prime minister on January 27, 2011 to sell it off to the Emiratis to build a 7-star hotel like the Burg Dubai but it got postponed and cancelled.