Losing faith with Luxor :(

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Losing faith with Luxor :(

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Well we still have plans to move to Luxor, probably around the end of the year, as of now. But then we aren't coming to do anything related to the tourist industry either. Yes, there may be a knockoff effect on the general economy from the lack of tourists, but people will still get sick no matter whether tourists are around or not, so we are not really concerned about whether the tourism industry makes a roaring comeback or not, and actually, aren't making our plans based on the expectation that it will either.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

And who is actually left trying to work in the tourism industry in Luxor anyway? I don't think any of my husband's relatives are. They either never worked in the tourism industry to begin with, got out two or three years ago and are doing other things, work in the tourism industry in Hurghada, or moved to Europe years ago and work in the tourism industry or other fields there. Who are these people who are sitting around waiting for the tourists to come back?

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Lotusflower:
"I then connected a power washer connecter to the hose which I had brought from Ireland (costing about 15 Euro), great for power washing my steps and any mats I have to clean"

Tried to find this item on the net but kept coming up with large power washers, any idea as to it's description..Sounds just the thing I need… :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

Those that don't work in tourism are lucky, but there are still the caleshes, taxi's and many others including boatmen, that seem will not diversify. Its them that are not seeing the wood for the tree's, I remember living through two recessions in the UK, where you either did something else or died. some had genius minds and made a lot of money, some just laid back lost their homes and became so poor they could not climb back again. In some respects its a good job there are a few charities. But if this threat becomes reality these will disappear too. It will be interesting to see what the next 12 months bring.

Of course this threat that is now global news may do a lot of damage to TUI and Thomas Cook who have amalgamated in an attempt to get tourists back to Luxor. It will be interesting to know what what their booking are like, and if they are now effected.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Let us imagine that any of you reading this are an uneducated chap who worked on the boats, as a cleaner in a hotel or any other unskilled dirty job, because of your impoverished background. You may have a family to support - not necessarily wife and children, but parents or siblings.

The tourists have gone and it is suggested that you diversify.

I'd like to know details of this diversification. :ni:
Smile! It confuses people

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Mind you a man with a clever mind would convert the obsolete cruise boats to transporters as the old UK canals used to operate.
Most are now probably owned by banks or their owners residing in prison, dirt cheap to convert and a damn sight cheaper to operate and can carry far greater tonnage than a lorry.
The old ways of transportation have a lot going for them… :cool:
Sophocles.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

MD-You get some packets of tissues or a bag of lemons and go stand on a corner and sell them.

Most Egyptians don't live in areas where there are tourists so for the poor, uneducated types, this is a question they face when they are old enough to/or need to work (not after they have been working for a while) so they just find SOMETHING, not wait for it to find them.

It's a known fact that the unemployment rates are highest among the university educated and that the poor and less educated have an easier time getting employed/working. The poor and uneducated usually have less of a problem finding/creating work for themselves because they don't face the stigma of working in a field that is beneath their level of education or not related to their field of study.

There are a lot more opportunities to diversify as an uneducated person than as an educated person. I'm not saying they have better potential opportunities, but the higher up you go on the socio-economic scale here, the less you can choose to do anything without people looking askance at you. If you laid off one of your pilots and he could find work cleaning toilets, would he be able to take the job? Of course not.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:MD-You get some packets of tissues or a bag of lemons and go stand on a corner and sell them.

There are a lot more opportunities to diversify as an uneducated person than as an educated person.
I may only be an occasional visitor but I would think, from my limited observations, that the tissue and lemon market is pretty well over subscribed already.

As for the question of who has more opportunities for diversification - the educated or uneducated - I am trying to understand your reasoning behind this. Please would you explain further.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

An engineer can only work as an engineer. Even if he wanted to do something like work in a clothing shop and since it doesn't require skills, in theory he could, he would face social pressure not to do it. It would be seen as beneath him. He might get away with driving a taxi for a while after graduation because he couldn't find a job to start in, but mid-career, forget about it. He would need to find another engineering position.

The reason I mention the balloon pilots is because I know a few women married to Egyptian plane pilots and when circumstances have meant that work flying out of one country dried up for whatever reason they relocated halfway around the world, sometimes multiple times, to continue working as pilots. They didn't switch fields in order to stay where they were living.

Now an uneducated person who has been cleaning cruise ships for 5-10 years is not in a stable job to begin with, if he starts working selling vegetables instead, no one will think anything bad of him or pressure him not to do it. A job is a job for him, just a way to make money. Social status isn't a factor.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

The way I see it, and it is purely an example:

A hotel manager should have all the transferable skills, and plenty of contacts, to gain some kind of work in their own field or similar. They should also know how to be a good cleaner.

A hotel cleaner will have limited transferable skills, and probably few contacts, to gain some kind of work in their own field or similar. They would not know how to be a good hotel manager - or, even if they had the inner knowledge, they would not have the contacts or certificates to allow them in.

Does social standing take precedence over putting food on the family table and a roof over their heads.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Yes, but only in their own field or something similar. Which is less than the possibility for the uneducated to become a cleaner, a driver, a salesman, an office boy, a guard, a ditch digger, a fieldhand etc. The fact of the matter is jobs for skilled, educated people are very limited in number in Egypt compared to the number of candidates for those positions.

I do understand what you are saying Hepzi, but that's just not how it works here. Horizontal and downward vertical movement are simply very very limited for the highly qualified in Egypt.

There are some exceptions of educated people doing something totally different, but not as many as you would find elsewhere. For example, there are a number of famous actors and television personalities that are actually doctors by training. Or someone like Goddess' husband who left being a lawyer to be a chef. But in these cases it is normally because they really have a passion for something else, not because they are out of work and need to change fields.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

You forget Abu Hamza used to work for a Balloon company then sold vegatables then became a notorious highwayman then became dead… :cool:
Sophocles.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote:You forget Abu Hamza used to work for a Balloon company then sold vegatables then became a notorious highwayman then became dead… :cool:

Well, not that dead Dr, apparently he now resides in the Metropolitan Correctional Centre in New York, where I understand each Christmas they put on a pantomime,........OH YES THEY DO, next year they are putting on Peter Pan,.........OH YES THEY ARE, ...........and there are no prizes for guessing which part our old mate is playing, perhaps because of his English accent, or what ever. :wi .

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Glyphdoctor wrote:MD-You get some packets of tissues or a bag of lemons and go stand on a corner and sell them.

Most Egyptians don't live in areas where there are tourists so for the poor, uneducated types, this is a question they face when they are old enough to/or need to work (not after they have been working for a while) so they just find SOMETHING, not wait for it to find them.

It's a known fact that the unemployment rates are highest among the university educated and that the poor and less educated have an easier time getting employed/working. The poor and uneducated usually have less of a problem finding/creating work for themselves because they don't face the stigma of working in a field that is beneath their level of education or not related to their field of study.

There are a lot more opportunities to diversify as an uneducated person than as an educated person. I'm not saying they have better potential opportunities, but the higher up you go on the socio-economic scale here, the less you can choose to do anything without people looking askance at you. If you laid off one of your pilots and he could find work cleaning toilets, would he be able to take the job? Of course not.
All of our pilots have other qualifications - as I've mentioned before it's something we have always encouraged. Pilots of ours and other firms have gone to other countries to fly too.

My husband has other business interests and we encouraged our co-workers to do the same. We discourage issues of prestige and encourage and honest days work for an honest days pay. If they can invest that pay in a business or qualification that's wonderful.

We have land and animals to tend as well. If times are hard our chaps will find a job with us that we would otherwise
use casual labour for.
Smile! It confuses people

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

London buses seem to be in the news, top got chopped one round in holborn big trees round Holborn..
Anyhow here's a great idea for tour guides…. :cool:
Iv'e had 2 London Buses..."alot of populus qui non sciunt"
Sophocles.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Who2 wrote:Mind you a man with a clever mind would convert the obsolete cruise boats to transporters as the old UK canals used to operate.
Most are now probably owned by banks or their owners residing in prison, dirt cheap to convert and a damn sight cheaper to operate and can carry far greater tonnage than a lorry.
The old ways of transportation have a lot going for them… :cool:
With a draught of only some 6 feet or so they would not carry much cargo. The Nile is a very shallow river these days!

Best use for them would be as prison ships, if they could be relocated away from civilization.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Mad Dilys wrote:
All of our pilots have other qualifications - as I've mentioned before it's something we have always encouraged. Pilots of ours and other firms have gone to other countries to fly too.
Yes, they have other qualifications. That still doesn't answer my question, would they clean toilets?

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

There are plenty of things to be done in and around Luxor, no one has to tell people, its not up to us to tell those who are in the know, that these people could be employed doing this work. Cleaning, painting, repairs to items that have been damaged, the list goes on. Its no good saying they cannot turn their hand to this, our plumber works in a coffee shop during the day, builders work the land, etc etc that what diversity is.

During the early 90's during that recession I was hidden from the stress's by being employed at Sizewell B for the length of the recession, working 7 days a week and earning excellent wages, after that when no work was about, I washed cars, cut lawns, did small electrical jobs for people, sold things on Ebay, did collections from peoples houses of goods they did not want and then took them to boot sales. My family never wanted at all. But you need to be able to think! Once you can do this the world can be your oyster. I cannot say turn to farming because so much farm land has been lost to new buildings, that are for tourists rental. Now that is Good Thinking-I don't think so!! There has been so much money wasted in the building of places for tourists its unbelievable. Many of these places will now lay idol and some may never get used before they fall into decay. I have even been asked to find people to who may want to rent these places, but the stipulation is we prefer to rent to tourists. Cannot think why???? I do feel sorry in some ways for these people, but in other ways when you see the concrete mixers turning up, it does make me laugh. They have now started claiming flood plain land as their own and building. Soon we will have villages built on sticks like in Thailand. That will be fun! But like most things you can get away with anything if you have a bit of cash. And that is a big problem!!

Kymmy
United Kingdom

Post by Kymmy »

Keith as been there a long time I visted when he first moved there it was safer still hassle
But nothing compared to what it's like now I agree and totally understand he's statements
He's right full on right
I lived there for a short while post revolution (previously on Holidays in the Mubarak Regime)))
I had my handbag snatched twice never did in the Mubarak regime hassle was still bad but I NEVER felt threatened to the extent that I was looking over my shoulder worried about my flat being broken in to, never too worried about my safety. NOW??
Would I return NO not even for a holiday Nay worlds a big place and besides no tourists no atmosphere the uncertainty if I'm working hard and spending hard I would like my money's worth of a nice busy resort even a peacefull retreat if it comes to it but not a place that only regulars are going to for what ever reason ????? Not with this post (sorry Keith your right )))
Oh and by the way iv returned to UK I get mugged on a daily basis my house is broke into weekly needles outside my door and I get sexual abused every hour I work 100 hours a week
For nought and live on water and fresh air
LUV IT. (Joking) Ahhhhh
But that's UK
Last edited by Kymmy on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kymmy
United Kingdom

Post by Kymmy »

Ps as the title was losing faith in Luxor totally agree for some it's lost the people iv kept in touch with from when I worked there are NOT going back any tine soon x