Losing faith with Luxor :(

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Losing faith with Luxor :(

Post by Who2 »

I'm highly surprised your at your eloquent response, was this in English or Arabic ?
I said "do you mind I am halfway through being served can you wait your turn?
teacher or not, it's obvious manners do not come into your curriculum.

I doubt that many Egyptians would understand your words at all, but might well understand their actions.
Perhaps that's what you wanted or would have liked to have said !…. 'be honest… :cool:
Ps: I shall try 'curriculum' on some of my mates..

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Adamantium

Post by Adamantium »

Luxor Pharoahs wrote:Lower/middle class, is that how others think of people from Saudi or Dubai, or Qatar? Every Country or City has the right to improve itself without being labelled. All the Countries and Cities I mentioned had to start somewhere.
It's not right now that counts so much financially it's the future, when the Suez Canal is finished more revenue will be created to invest in the Country. Vast improvements have to be made to the infrastructure to attract outside industries, but most of all education standards need to be improved. I was in a shop 2 days ago, when a woman barged in front of me with a can of drink and wanted to be served, I said do you mind I am halfway through being served can you wait your turn? The woman replied I am a teacher at the school over the road and need to get back, I then said teacher or not, it's obvious manners do not come into your curriculum
I had a similar experience at the Pyramids. A woman jumped in front of me. I informed her there was a queue to which she responded arrogantly. "I am a tour guide."

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Adamantium wrote: A woman jumped in front of me. I informed her there was a queue to which she responded arrogantly. "I am a tour guide."
:-) I am :xx2 SO :xx2 tired of this behaviour :!:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

It is normal practice for there to be a woman's line and a man's line. And a tourist who doesn't accept that is the rude one.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

In all the till lines that I have stood in here, I have never come across a women/man only one, its always been a free for all. And I have never been invited to jump the line having only one or two items, but regularly do this for the Egyptian line huggers. Suppose its all down to the way you've been brought up.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I was in a shop just a few days ago buying only one item and the woman in front of me in line told me to go ahead of her unprompted by anything I said or did. Some people just are nice naturally and I doubt she bitched on an online forum later either about her being nice. One should take pleasure from being nice to others. If you want to talk about how people are brought up, start with yourself.

I would have been annoyed iniitally by the teacher barging in front of me too...but the difference is once she gave her explanation I would have graciously agreed to let her go ahead and apologized for overreacting, because her reason is completely justified.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

I can't say I've ever been subjected to "queue jumping"in Luxor.

I often find that the Egyptians will stand back and let me go before them.

As much as I try to decline,they are sometimes most insistent!

I actually found myself "jumping the queue" at Dr Farid's dental surgery!Was a bit embarrassed by it.
There were Egyptians sitting in waiting room when I attended..but I was seen to the minute I entered the surgery!
Although I was obviously a tourist and dressed in tourist attire..I apologised to those who were still waiting!

They really didn't seem to mind,nods and smiles from them.

But..should I have done things differently and waited my turn?
Didn't go in "all guns blazing"and demanding to be seen..but still felt a bit awkward about fact I had "jumped the queue!"

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

It is when guided groups behave as if they have more right than I at a temple or a museum that I am offended, as if a single person does not count. It affected me at my first trip to Egypt that I was pushed away in Sakkara, expected to move so that groups could take over. Since then I have fought for my right to be there.

Especially at train station ticket offices it has always been respected when I have started my own line as a woman not wanting to fight with men struggling to get served first.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

A "tour group"will always come first Bennu.
They're paying big bucks for the trip,the service..and a "hassle"free experience!
Pumping far more into the economy than you as a single traveller ever will, in such a short space of time.

Cut them some slack!

Your experiences in Egypt suggest that time does not matter to you.You turn night into day,sleep at dawn and dance by moonlight!You have accepted this way of life and want(nay,dictate) that your lifestyle should be accepted.

So..why does this irritate you so much?
Many tourists won't ever have the chance or financial means to go back again.You have both!
You can go anytime..they can't!

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: "I can't say I've ever been subjected to "queue jumping"in Luxor.
I often find that the Egyptians will stand back and let me go before them ?

Probably 'growling at them in a tartan works wonders, anyway in Farid's they are all watching the telly and knowing you have more money than them, give him my regards 'tell him I had the lot out in Cairo 5 years ago £7k Maadi Dental Clinic 'right bunch of thieves..:cool:
Ps: Tour guides 'sod em, follow them around for a bit shouting "speak up" it really annoys them…your hardly 'vertically challenged so they will just have to suffer….
Last edited by Who2 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Adamantium wrote:I had a similar experience at the Pyramids. A woman jumped in front of me. I informed her there was a queue to which she responded arrogantly. "I am a tour guide."
Scottishtourist wrote:A "tour group"will always come first
I was not aware of this rule. :o
Scottishtourist wrote: They're paying big bucks for the trip,the service..and a "hassle"free experience!
Pumping far more into the economy than you as a single traveller ever will, in such a short space of time.
Many tourists won't ever have the chance or financial means to go back again.You have both!
I did not choose to travel all the way to Egypt just to be rushed through the sites, listening to someone screaming in poor German what I of course had read about years before getting the chance to see it for myself.

I do not travel to Edfu to have a tour guide push me away so that he can prepare his Luxor scam where no Egyptians can hear him and not say a word about the relief he pretends to be admiring like I did.

I do not spend the whole day going to Kom Ombo in order to make way for loud passengers in party mood, just out of the shower with fifty fragrances of duty free perfume having a quick before dinner stop at the temple.

I do not fly to Cairo to be ignored by stinking groups straight from perfume palaces who expect you to be aware of them and out of their way at the museum, when I have paid my own ticket and decided what to see while they do not even look where they are going.

I do not know who can afford more or who pumps more money into the economy, it is about common decency and how you represent your own culture! I do not buy second class tickets to the sights. I can visit the Pyramids and Sakkara anytime I want, that is true, but not as cheap and fast as a mass tourist.

PS: The fact that I no longer share my thoughts at sunrise does not mean that I suddenly sleep at dawn.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

BENNU wrote:
Adamantium wrote:I had a similar experience at the Pyramids. A woman jumped in front of me. I informed her there was a queue to which she responded arrogantly. "I am a tour guide."
Scottishtourist wrote:A "tour group"will always come first
I was not aware of this rule. :o
Scottishtourist wrote: They're paying big bucks for the trip,the service..and a "hassle"free experience!
I did not choose to travel all the way to Egypt just to be rushed through the sites, listening to someone screaming in poor German what I of course had read about years before getting the chance to see it for myself.

I do not travel to Edfu to have a tour guide push me away so that he can prepare his Luxor scam where no Egyptians can hear him and not say a word about the relief he pretends to be admiring like I did.

I do not spend the whole day going to Kom Ombo in order to make way for loud passengers in party mood, just out of the shower with fifty fragrances of duty free perfume having a quick before dinner stop at the temple.

I do not fly to Cairo to be ignored by stinking groups straight from perfume palaces who expect you to be aware of them and out of their way at the museum, when I have paid my own ticket and decided what to see while they do not even look where they are going.

I do not know who can afford more or who pumps more money into the economy, it is about common decency and how you represent your own culture! I do not buy second class tickets to the sights. I can visit the Pyramids and Sakkara anytime I want, that is true, but not as cheap and fast as a mass tourist.

PS: The fact that I no longer share my thoughts at sunrise does not mean that I suddenly sleep at dawn.
Well,why don't you just stand back then and allow them to go before you?
It would appear that they are not "usurping"your time!
But you just may be "usurping"theirs!

You're behaving like a snob!
"I want,I pay,I will get!"

Forget about common decency...money talks louder!

Maybe they would object to your "nocturnal"habits when they've had a full day sightseeing and are tired of an evening!

You are living in Egyptian time..they are not!

You can either present yourself as a local..or a tourist!

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

That's why I prefer visiting tombs and temples at night time… :cool:
Ps: .."money talks louder! that's a statement I cannot argue with….'shush..
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Scottishtourist wrote:A "tour group"will always come first Bennu.
They're paying big bucks for the trip,the service..and a "hassle"free experience!
Scottishtourist wrote:You're behaving like a snob!
"I want,I pay,I will get!"

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Scottishtourist wrote: Maybe they would object to your "nocturnal"habits when they've had a full day sightseeing and are tired of an evening!
A long day of sightseeing can also be exhausting for someone suffering from insomnia, going all the way from Luxor and back by car or train.

My experience at Sakkara was my first impression of Egypt. Noone had told me that I was to consider myself inferior to groups of tourists. :?

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Scottishtourist wrote:A "tour group"will always come first Bennu.

Cut them some slack!
What utter crap!

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Independent travelers spend more locally normally the guides want a big cut of anything spent so the money still leaves on the bus it came on.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Of course travellers spend more, plus they are more adventurous, intelligent, refined, knowledgeable, perceptive, discerning and all in all not a 'bunch of follow me pricks on a budget, wondering where the sea is… any one else want to argue ?… :cool:
Sophocles.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Who2 wrote:Of course travellers spend more, plus they are more adventurous, intelligent, refined, knowledgeable, perceptive, discerning and all in all not a 'bunch of follow me pricks on a budget, wondering where the sea is… any one else want to argue ?… :cool:
Disagree Who2.
They're cheapskates!
Always looking for the cheapest way to get from A to B,always seeking out the "local"places and arguing about the "local"prices!
It's the "travellers"who are on a budget..not the "tourists!"

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Wrong I know people who stay at the Winter Palace fly scheduled airlines and eat in many places both local and tourist. Both types of travellers probably spend the same amounts but as I said the money doesn't always stay where its spent.