The good, the bad and ...

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: The good, the bad and ...

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: So where has it gone into the Egyptian economy with the rest of well over a £100k. If I couldn't have afforded to live here, I wouldn't have come in the first place. Stupid I'm not!…. :cool:
Yep, it's as simple as the Dr says above.

I have a warning though for anyone who is thinking about returning to the U.K. with nothing, the social security system has changed dramatically over the past few years, and to give you an example,.......

A good old friend who works on what is known as zero hours, has become quite ill, I had to make a claim for him for Statuary Sick Pay from the government. This is done only by telephone, where I was warned that conversation details taken would take 45 minutes. One question was, had he lived out of the country in the past five years, in his case the answer was no, though I wondered what the difference would be. The whole telephone 'interview' took 43 minutes, his case being straight forward, though he had to be with me throughout to validate the claim. Although the telephone number to these people was an 0800 number, if he had not a land line he would have been charged for the call by the minute at up to 35p per minute.

This person is fully ENTITLED to the money, it is not a benefit, as the government like to call it here, he has paid for this INSURANCE, throughout his life, though he is not covered by what is known as 'under the old rules',....................all I can say is God help any one returning to the U.K. from Egypt penniless.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:I know someone who borrowed money to return to the UK to visit a family member, the person lending it couldn't really afford it but asked for it to be repaid, as and when the other could do so. Even got a signed agreement. The borrower has refused to give the money back even saying that the note he signed had been forged.
Everyone complains about Egyptians being scammers but in my opinion it's the ex pats who are the biggest.
If this is the fly swatting individual that you are talking about carrie, it ended up with a police raid on his flat. If it is him he never used the cash to go back to the UK to see his sick -------. And if it is him, this most amazing saga has continued until three weeks ago when he came back. Up to date he has ''loaned'' the cash three times to return to the UK. Nice job if you can get it. He has now been totally ostracized from all in this area.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

In my private conversations with some current and former members of this forum, I have heard some really not so nice things said about certain other expats. However, publicly they appear to be friends with the people who they badmouth. If anyone thinks they have friends among other expats in Luxor, you are just desperate for companionship in a small fishpond. So I don't know why any of this actually is worth gossiping about. It's just too small a community to really be able to find people who you actually have something in common with enough to be real friends, and not just friends because there is no one else to socialize with.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Glyphdoctor wrote: It's just too small a community to really be able to find people who you actually have something in common with enough to be real friends, and not just friends because there is no one else to socialize with.
:ks I have never been afraid of being on my own and do spend a lot of time by myself. There are people that I am fine not knowing in this small community, but I am very happy to say that I have found great friends among other foreigners in Luxor. :ksd
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Glyphdoctor wrote: If anyone thinks they have friends among other expats in Luxor, you are just desperate for companionship in a small fishpond.
:vs Of course you know all ex-pats in Luxor. :xx

I hope my friends consider me a friend like I do them, even though we have chosen to stay in Luxor.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I have a very few good friends amongst the ex pat community. Not very many and a lot of aquaintancies.
Yes D same person.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote:Why didn't you feel safe?
Sorry Carrie, almost missed this.

Well, I had been focusing on the news in Britain prior to our visit, on the plane over I read of 34 soldiers killed the Sinia. The next day I learnt of several bomb attacks on police in Cairo. The following day I became aware of attacks on police in both Essna and Asswan. I carefully noticed that there was a general lack of soldiers and armament vehicles, which initially I put down to the army being at full stretch. Then one bright morning around 7 a.m. I witnessed quite a large convoy of military vehicles sweep past me, at full speed along St Joseph Street.

My hotel is in between the Nile Palace and the Sonesta, some would say the safest hotel in Luxor, and yes, others would say the most vulnerable to attack, though the security there is very good, though no one would think so, and no I do not intend to give details for obvious reasons.

Towards the end of next week I shall write up on my visit, as it is over two years since I last wrote up on my findings, it will be called , The Visit, hope you like it, though I suppose some will not
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

To think that there are people who just planned their finances badly going around taking advantage of others when there are people who are stranded here in really dire straits through no fault of their own:

http://www.yementimes.com/en/1875/repor ... n-home.htm
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It would definitely be awful to be traveling to obtain some training or take a course and suddenly find out you can't get back home. That would be worse than awful.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The close friends I now have here are as solid as a rock, and I know for certain that I'm viewed as the same in their eyes. The world is not just filled with bad expats, goodness shines through on a regular basis I'm happy to say.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Then why did you start this thread? Strange words from someone who seems to otherwise have a large repertoire of tales of being screwed over by family and wives and friends from childhood onward. You may think your current friends are solid as a rock but it seems you thought that about others as well and then discovered that it wasn't the case.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:

Well, I had been focusing on the news in Britain prior to our visit, on the plane over I read of 34 soldiers killed the Sinia. The next day I learnt of several bomb attacks on police in Cairo. The following day I became aware of attacks on police in both Essna and Asswan. I carefully noticed that there was a general lack of soldiers and armament vehicles, which initially I put down to the army being at full stretch. Then one bright morning around 7 a.m. I witnessed quite a large convoy of military vehicles sweep past me, at full speed along St Joseph Street.

My hotel is in between the Nile Palace and the Sonesta, some would say the safest hotel in Luxor, and yes, others would say the most vulnerable to attack, though the security there is very good, though no one would think so, and no I do not intend to give details for obvious reasons.

Towards the end of next week I shall write up on my visit, as it is over two years since I last wrote up on my findings, it will be called , The Visit, hope you like it, though I suppose some will not
".....between the Nile Palace and the Sonesta....". I think that rather pins down this fragrant, emblematic, establishment :lol:

No need to be so coy :urm:

I suppose its former police connections might entitle it to more security. But then again, as you say, more of a target :o

I'll be interested to hear if it's still the "place to be" for mature female foreigners (visitors & semi-resident) and their almost pre-pubescent Egyptian acquisitions.

:)))
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Then why did you start this thread? Strange words from someone who seems to otherwise have a large repertoire of tales of being screwed over by family and wives and friends from childhood onward. You may think your current friends are solid as a rock but it seems you thought that about others as well and then discovered that it wasn't the case.
Up to last week I always thought my teeth were all OK, then discovered that I had a bad one at the back.

I posted it because I thought that it may interest some, and to give an honest appraisal for those that still view everything via the rose tinted glasses. I know this may come as a surprise to you, but that is what a forum is for, instigating discussions on a myriad of topics to educate, inform and keep people up to date. Not necessarily to combat the end of the month blues or decrease a persons levels of personal neurosis and frustrations, I mean, intellectual conversations around the dinner table are OK, but if that is all one gets...

Over the years I've been conned, screwed, robbed and diddled out of thousands of £, Always brushed it off, always made good the losses. It is one of those things that does not get much better with age or experience. There is always one more cleverer than you waiting in the wings.

Here it is not as bad for me personally, but still in existence. I may get twisted out of a bit of cash tomorrow or next week or year. You never know when, but it will happen.

I've always been able to admit to my failings, shortcomings and bad situations that I have found myself to be in. None of this may be of interest to you personally, but to others it may be, even only for the entertainment value.

If you really feel the need to ask why I posted this topic, and I may come across as being a bit arrogant here assuming that you have read my post on here and not accidentally come across it on Google or FB, then you really are a very silly person and not as clever as you would like us all to think you are. Now lighten up a bit and tell us all a joke.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote:
A-Four wrote:

".....between the Nile Palace and the Sonesta....". I think that rather pins down this fragrant, emblematic, establishment :lol:

No need to be so coy :urm:

I suppose its former police connections might entitle it to more security. But then again, as you say, more of a target :o

I'll be interested to hear if it's still the "place to be" for mature female foreigners (visitors & semi-resident) and their almost pre-pubescent Egyptian acquisitions.

:)))
Well, fortunately each line of your above statement is wrong, but then again you can be excused, being that you live away from Luxor, however your ill-informed, for ever silent side-kick should know better, but then again, I wonder how often he gets around.

I never recommend places, as there is always some who knows better, however, if I was bringing a young family to a hotel that is favoured for its Infinity Pooll, I would be a little ****** off, to say I had paid for use of it, to discover that it is no longer available.

The heated swimming pool at the hotel I stay at is cleaned EVERY day, and so is the surrounding area. I have never seen any one clean the five star hotel swimming pool, not a million miles from where I stay, further more, I don't get a chamber maid at the end of a week, knocking at my door to inform me how beautiful a pair of my shoes would look on her husband, plus the fact that the price I pay for each month is less than half the price of other less regulated hotels in that area.

With regards ex-pats using the pool area, I am pleased to say, most are polite and well mannered, but even so there is enough room to be away from such people, if you so wish.

With reference to the security at this hotel, which is used often by top police official from Cairo, I can assure you, most you do not see first hand, and for obvious reasons I would not want to detail. :wi