Locked In

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Locked In

Post by carrie » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:01 pm

This afternoon I visited a shop, which I don't wish to identify, it is a shop that I have used often and found the staff very helpful and the prices fair.
I went into the shop and asked for what I wanted the shopkeeper just started to get what I wanted when a man rushed in spoke to the owner and off he went again.
Sudenly I was asked to take a seat, not to worry Madam, just one minute, the owner turned off the lights locked the front door and went outside to pull down the shutters, I was left there sitting in the dark, not scared but wondering what on earth was going on. The owner returned, he had a doorway in his shop that led to next doors shop and he had come in that way.
When I asked what was happening he said "the government the government" apparently he had all the proper paper work to run his business but did not have an import licence and he sold things that came from China. He said he had tried to explain to the authorities that he didn't import anything but went up to Cairo to buy from the wholesalers to replenish his stocks but none the less he was supposed to produce copies of the import licences.
He also said that it was becoming impossible to run his business that the shops now had "spotters" out who went from shop to shop warning them when "the government where about".
How many shops don't stock items from China, from the smallest to the largest, how can an economy function under such stresses?

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Locked In

Post by Major Thom » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:32 am

You are right Carrie, suppose the only answer is to get the proper licenses, but it does seem the Government are clamping down. It makes you wonder how much money the Government are loosing by people not having the right licenses. From what you say the shopkeeper obviously knew he had not got the correct licenses, and that would be why he shut up shop. I think or would suspect that many shopkeepers get their products from the big Cities. You would think the big City suppliers would have paid import taxes.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:58 am

I think you misunderstood MT the shop keeper had the correct licences to run his business, what he didn't have was import licences since he wasn't an importer. If every shop in Luxor has to have import licences that sells Chinese goods then there wont be very many left open. The shop owner was in no way trying to avoid his tax.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:23 am

"Egypt Bans Import of All Foreign Made Egyptian Souvenirs" I read about this ban a few weeks ago. Maybe that was what the incident was about?

http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/04/08/e ... souvenirs/

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:33 am

I have to say that whilst I understand what you have written Carrie, if I were in your shoes I would have been non too pleased to have been locked in. He should have asked you to leave the shop, not lock you in and then disappear. Supposing the 'spotter' hadn't got to him quick enough and he'd been taken off for questioning or the authorities had made him open up and you were sitting there, it could have been very awkward at the very least.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:56 pm

If I'd been in your none to comfortable position carrie I think, when the shutters finely were raised, my trousers would of been a tad damp to say the least. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:22 pm

What I said at the end of my post is, why would a shop that purchases from the big Cities in Egypt have to have an import license, when the supplier surely would have paid import taxes for the goods he sold this shop in Luxor. It doesn't seem right that this shop should need an import license.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:27 pm

What makes you so sure the wholesaler will have paid the tax/licence?

There is a huge problem in the UK over illegal imports, and when the authorities find the point of sale they are confiscated and the seller prosecuted.
Smile! It confuses people

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:03 am

Mad Dilys wrote:What makes you so sure the wholesaler will have paid the tax/licence?

There is a huge problem in the UK over illegal imports, and when the authorities find the point of sale they are confiscated and the seller prosecuted.
I thought that these mainly came on two legs. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.