Karnak bomb attempt?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Karnak bomb attempt?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I've just read some sketchy reports of breaking news about a bomb attempt at Karnak temple area. One report says a car bomb while another says a suicide bomber. I also read on the L4U FB page someone saying they'd heard an explosion and wondering what it was. Does anyone have any local news?

Luxor News Live
11 mins ·
‫#‏عاجل‬.. بالصور..
أكد مصدر مسؤل بـ ‫#‏محافظة‬ ‫#‏الأقصر‬ على أن شخص كان يرتدى حزام ناسف، قام بتفجير نفسه، داخل ساحة معبد الكرنك، ومعه 3 أشخاص يحملون بنادق اّليه، حيث قاموا باطلاق أعيرة نارية بساحة المعبد، وأستطاعت قوات الأقصر قتل واحداً... تابعونا من قلب الحدث أول بأول على مباشر من الأقصر...
‪#‎urgent‬.. For photos..
Make sure the source of the official b ‪#‎musigati‬ ‪#‎mansion‬ on someone was wearing suicide belt, he blew himself up, within the Tempio Karnak., and with 3 people carrying rifles, where they launch shots at The Temple, and can forces the shorter killed one... Tune from the heart of the event first to mbashr mn al a qsr words
Automatically translated

Luxor News Live
8 mins ·
مسئول أمنى عن تفجير ‫#‏الكرنك‬.
التفجير مكون من شخخص يرتدي حزام ناسف و3 اخرون كانوا يحملون اسلحة آلية..
تفاصيل وصور بعد قليل.
Responsible. From me about bombing ‪#‎karnak‬..
Bombing component of the person wearing suicide belt and others were carrying weapons mechanism..
Details and pictures shortly.
Automatically translated

http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/06/10/s ... le-foiled/

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Karnak bomb attempt?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BBC Breaking News

Suicide bomber targets tourist site at Egypt's ancient city of Luxor, officials say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-33077862
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

From Egypt Independent

Suicide bomber attacks tourist site in south Egypt's Luxor
On
Wed, 10/06/2015 - 11:26

Reuters
A suicide bomber blew himself up in the parking lot of Karnak temple in the southern Egyptian city of Luxor on Wednesday, security sources and witnesses said, in an escalation of recent attacks on tourist sites.

No group immediately claimed responsibility but Islamist militants bent on toppling the Cairo government have killed hundreds of police and soldiers in the past, usually at checkpoints and barracks or police stations.

A health ministry spokesman said four Egyptians were wounded. Security sources said casualties included bazaar shop owners and police.

They said three armed men tried to storm a barricade that leads to the Karnak temple site. Two men left the car and engaged in gunfire with police, who killed them. The third man in the car managed to overcome the barricade and blew himself up.

Tourism is one of the top sources of income and foreign currency earnings for the Arab world's most populous country.

Gunmen on a motorcycle shot dead two members of Egypt's tourism and antiquities police force on a road near the Giza pyramids last week.

http://www.egyptindependent.com//news/s ... -s-luxor-0
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

A suicide car bomb attack, which had aimed to target Luxor’s Karnak Temple, has been foiled, said security sources to local media outlets.

http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/06/10/s ... le-foiled/

According to private Egyptian newspaper Youm7, two terrorists were killed and one police officer was injured in the attack near the Temple. Sky News Arabia reports that a suicide car bomb detonated after security forces confronted the car laden with explosives. Sky News added that a third attacker was injured in the foiled car bomb attempt.

Meanwhile, Al-Masry Al-Youm reported a different version of the events. According to AMAY, two attackers were killed by security forces. However, the third managed to reach the entrance of the Karnak Temple before blowing himself up and injuring a number of local vendors.

This story is developing.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

Breaking News:
MOH spokesperson: Two dead and five injured, including security and civilians in Luxor bombing. Injuries not serious.

Other reports seem to imply the injured were police and vendors rather than tourists, hopefully the MOH spokesman is correct in saying "Injuries not serious."

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

Further official info from http://www.madamasr.com/news/2-dead-5-i ... or-bombing

Two people were killed while another five were injured in a bombing near the Karnak Temple in the city of Luxor, Health Ministry Spokesperson Hossam Abdel Ghaffar told Mada Masr on Wednesday.

According to Abdel Ghaffar, the injured include both civilians and security forces. A statement by the Health Ministry confirmed that no tourists were injured in the bombing.

The statement also added that heavy gunfire followed the attack. Casualties are reportedly being treated for gunshot wounds and suffocation after being transferred to Luxor International Hospital and Luxor Public Hospital.

Of the two fatalities, one body disintegrated during the bombing, while the other has been transferred to Luxor International Hospital for forensic examination.

In a statement, the Interior Ministry stated that three armed assailants carried out the bombing, but were immediately attacked by security forces.

The two dead bodies belong to the attackers, the Interior Ministry claimed. One of the assailants was killed as a result of the bombing, while the other was shot by police. The third attacker was shot in the head during the exchange of fire.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Hope everyone recovers fully from their injuries.
Bang goes the tourist trade for another season, how are people going to cope with yet another year without work.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I'm sure many people will have been expecting something like this to happen sooner or later. It certainly doesn't bring any satisfaction when it does, just a huge sadness for the innocent people involved.

The big questions now must be: What where the motivations? Who was behind this atrocity?

Another sad day for Luxor.

Meanwhile, I'm desperately waiting to hear back from friends who have a shop there.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I've seen the photo's that Mena from Luxor times posted just moments, seemingly, after the explosion. This took place outside the tourist shops at the far corner of the shops that face the Temple next to the toilets. The suicide bombers were killed, one policeman, so it is reported, with several injured taken to hospital. I drove past at 1.45 and fully expected to be delayed or at least stopped while entering Karnak but we saw no extra police or army personnel other than what is normally in that area. From what I saw on the good photo's posted, it did not, fortunately, look like a large bomb, although a bomb is a bomb all the same.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I've just managed to speak to my friend. He is in deep shock at the moment, naturally, but thankfully unharmed. Unfortunately two of his friends did not fare so well and are in hospital and he was worried about their legs, thinking that they may have/will lose them. I didn't ask him any questions though, just rang him to check he was OK and allow him to talk.
-Aldous Huxley

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

I was checking the Karnak webcam. It appears that they closed the temple for a couple of hours around midday (Luxor time) but it was open again this afternoon. In 40°C there were a couple of coach parties and a few individual tourists.

While the news of the atrocity hit BBC and FCO websites amongst other places, it does not appear to have hit the mainstream BBC news.

All this after there was a lot of publicity in the Daily Telegraph last saturday - a couple of articles and several adverts for Nile cruises.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Brian Yare - the news of the suicide bombing in Luxor has definitely hit all the news here and in the USA. Just watching it on the morning news now.....

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Seen it on World Service BBC and everyone is talking about it here. Latest is that one of the terrorist is still alive and in Luxor International.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

He probably is going to wish he didn't survive...

They will probably sentence him to death, sort of finish the job off that he started.. :cool:

Win, Win situation for the "terrorist" as far as I can see.. :br
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Defying Luxor’s “terrorist” attack, World Bank Chief visits Karnak temple

Jun. 10, 2015 19:34
Pics: Defying Luxor’s “terrorist” attack, World Bank Chief visits Karnak temple Jim Yong Kim, Visits Karnak Temple - YOUM7
By THE CAIRO POST
CAIRO: President of the World Bank Group (WB,) Jim Yong Kim, visited Karnak temple of Luxor few hours following a suicide attack at the temple’s parking area Wednesday.

“To all tourists worldwide, do not stop visiting Egypt. It is a country of safety. I am here among the Luxor sons. And the police dealt professionally with the incidents,” Kim said during his tour inside the temple.

The suicide bomber and another attacker were killed and five Egyptians, including a police officer, were injured in the attack.

Nothing on Aussie news yesterday or today; I heard about it via Facebook. But then we had a few big stories happening here.
Carpe diem! :le:

Charmaine

Post by Charmaine »

Hi, my mind is reeling today after the attack in Luxor.
I appreciate all your responses, and have googled much. I will respond to each of you, but not just now.
Keep well.

Charmaine

Post by Charmaine »

Keep safe everyone.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Well the terrorists or murderers, whatever you want to call them have certainly done what they set out to do judging by the posts and comments on Social media. I can not believe the speculation and misguided sayings that have gone out without the actual facts that are not yet known. It's more than likely these posts and misinformation that is causing more and more damage to the City.

Yes I agree a certain industry will be stopped in its tracks for the time being, but for those of us that are from the UK, we remember the Underground bombings and the Bus that got blown up, many were killed and maimed, it did cause panic for a couple of months or so, and made people wary about using these services, but it soon blew over. I think and hope that this misdemeanor will go its course the same way. I personally think there is far more to the lack of tourism than these misdemeanors that is at the root of Tourism to Luxor.

Finally on this subject, for those involved in this incident, I hope your healing process is swift, and to the Security services, thank you for your vigilance this could have been a lot worse than it was.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Major Thom wrote:Well the terrorists or murderers, whatever you want to call them have certainly done what they set out to do judging by the posts and comments on Social media. I can not believe the speculation and misguided sayings that have gone out without the actual facts that are not yet known. It's more than likely these posts and misinformation that is causing more and more damage to the City.

Yes I agree a certain industry will be stopped in its tracks for the time being, but for those of us that are from the UK, we remember the Underground bombings and the Bus that got blown up, many were killed and maimed, it did cause panic for a couple of months or so, and made people wary about using these services, but it soon blew over. I think and hope that this misdemeanor will go its course the same way. I personally think there is far more to the lack of tourism than these misdemeanors that is at the root of Tourism to Luxor.

Finally on this subject, for those involved in this incident, I hope your healing process is swift, and to the Security services, thank you for your vigilance this could have been a lot worse than it was.
From what is being stated as true, the saving of many lives is all due to the diligence of the taxi driver that transported them to the Temple complex. His suspicions and overheard key words lead him to alert the police as they attempted to buy tickets into the Temple grounds. He is, I believe, as is the policeman that acted on the information, going to receive an award of some sort. The taxi driver should be given a brand new taxi for his part as he has a very old Peugeot.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.