Karnak bomb attempt?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

timetraveller

Re: Karnak bomb attempt?

Post by timetraveller »

I agree Dusak, the taxi driver was the hero of the day.Without his vigilance and courage this situation could have been so much worse. BBC just reported that there were about 600 tourists in the temple at the time, mostly coach parties from Hurghada. These people were undoubtedly the primary target of the terrorists. Thanks to the taxi driver and the swift responses of the Police and Security forces they are all unscathed. It's a terrible shame about the local vendors injured but overall it is NOT a win-win situation for the terrorists. They failed.

Unlike some of you I do not feel the need to put the word 'terrorists' in inverted commas. TERRORISTS. Why shy away from the word? That's what they are.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Get over yourself TT, you didn't die, and you don't know the people who died either do you ?
save your tears fro a rainy day... you may need them one day..

If people don't have a problem they are very quick to find one... Funny old world ???

The Taxi driver was / is a hero, brave man, and he deserves a medal.... A hero is born, a bunch of terrorists are dead, or at least soon will be.. Every cloud has a silver lining... :br

I hope those 72 virgins are big fat hairy men... I don't think Mo' was specific about the gender of said virgins...

If you are foolish enough to adopt a religion, read the small print... :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm proud to be a Muslima, Al Hamdulillah for a third of my long life - by choice, not by upbringing.

I've read the small print, actually all the print in my Koran is small - but try as I may, I cannot reconcile the words that I read with either the violence or ignorance of some so called Muslims who make claims which are not actually in the book.

72 Virgins? Give me a break. :|
Smile! It confuses people

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Religion can be a very good guide, but for Gods sake, don't worship it, as in anything in this life..
Take onboard the lessons that are personal to you and don't let others preach to you...

And lets face it, whatever happened back in those times may or may not have been relevant then, BUT 2000 years or 4000 years later !!! What does that tell you ?

My Dad hated the music I listened too, and that was a generation gap of only 31 years !!!

He even smashed up my Record Player when he heard me playing David Bowies "sorrow"
Sadly he didn't realise that that song was resonating with him, but he didn't understand.
...I Know... :cg

In Star Trek, they never speak of Religion and Money, and those people are exploring Space, and discovering new worlds and new civilisations... Makes you think ??? :cool:

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

Get over myself BM? Unlike YOU I don't only care about things that directly affect ME or those close to me. I would consider that to be a highly selfish attitude. No, in so far as I am aware, I didn't know either of the TERRORISTS who died in that attack and if I had done I wouldn't be shedding any tears over them now.I have heard say that a street cleaner also died and if that is true than he and his family do have my sympathy. As do the innocent Egyptians injured in that botched attack. Anything wrong with that? Anything you feel that you can rightly criticize? And kindly don't tell me when to 'save my tears'. You may not feel any sympathy for the victims of terrorism but some of us do. We are not all like you. Fortunately.

Having said that I would also say that as a long term resident of Luxor incidents like this do affect me, and all of the other ex-pats here. But most of all they affect the local population.
We have all seen how Luxor has suffered since the revolution and how local people are struggling financially. Terrorist attacks only serve to make things so much worse. The highly selfish actions of a few fanatics can ruin the livelihoods of much of the local population. Are you going to tell them to save THEIR tears? Incidentally, my own very kind and peace loving husband (Muslim) is far more disgusted and saddened by this attack than I am. Shall I tell HIM to 'save his tears' as well?

But why do you use it as an opportunity to attack religion in general. I am an Atheist but I respect the right of others to hold religious convictions unless, as in this case, they use them as a justification for committing atrocities against innocent civilians.

Oh and by the way, the cast of STAR TREK are not off exploring new civilisations. Unlike what happened yesterday (and the Boston Marathon bombing, whether you believe it or not) STAR TREK is FICTIONAL!

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Boston Bombing was a hoax, I have shown you the proof on this forum.

Nosey Parkers should keep their noses out of other peoples business, if it don't effect you and no one is directly asking you for help, keep your nose out.

Now, if someone comes to me and they ask me for help, I will pull out all the stops to do so if I can.
If they are screwing me over, then they will get theirs farther down the road...
There are those on this forum who have learned that lesson, including me... :cg

Your TARDIS must be stuck in reverse Time Traveller... :ks

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote:
Having said that I would also say that as a long term resident of Luxor incidents like this do affect me, and all of the other ex-pats here.

I have to disagree with on this, but then on the other hand I come from a Country and City where terrorist bombs have been commonplace since the days of the Fenians to the extent we even celebrate one Mr Guido Fawkes c1605…. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

If my TARDIS is in reverse it's because I'm backing away at warp speed from whatever strange planet you're obviously on! :lol:

You offered NO PROOF that the Boston bombing was a hoax. You are just a conspiracy theorist who denies the reality of any event that does not accord with your own belief system. You are clearly an Islamic apologist who cannot accept that there are a minority of Muslims who are very radical and actively engaged in terrorist atrocities. Are you into Holocaust denial as well? And would you be so determined to 'look the other way' if the bombers had been Christian or from any other faith other than Islam? Somehow I suspect not. And if you really feel that this incident is none of our business why are YOU bothering to read or comment on this thread at all. Go and stick your head back in the sand like the Ostrich you obviously are!

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Bullet Magnet wrote:Religion can be a very good guide, but for Gods sake, don't worship it, as in anything in this life..
Take onboard the lessons that are personal to you and don't let others preach to you...
Exactly! With respect including you.

I am not going to discuss religion on an internet forum, I will discuss as much as you like face to face and I hope one day I will have that pleasure. 8)

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Likewise MD, though rarely these days to I get to meet people I deeply respect from this Forum..
It would be a pleasure. :up Insha-Allah..

We should not allow this topic to descend into a religious argument, so I apologise to all for allowing it to drift that way.. :tk

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

As Who2 has stated, I too have been very close to such actions caused by the Irish troubles, one came very close to home, another affected my sister on a more personnel level and I'm not saying that because of this you get used to such happenings, no one could say that, but you do learn to accept the unexpected, in all its forms. I refuse to let the actions of these psychopathic morons to spoil my life here, I will carry one regardless in the hope that this was a one off in this area. My friend seems to think that because of this bomb and my nationality, I will/have become a target of such individuals. She is upset and fearful, as the rest of her family are, even advising me not to venture outside. I attempt to explain that if I did do this, then they have scored a point against freedom. This will never happen.

Can't help but notice that Pinky and Perky are :st over this incident. :wi when whiners go AWOL and :bd2: now you see me, now you don't.

Tragedy should never allow humor to die. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

who the heck's Pinky and Perky "D" ?

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

They are reporting the terrorist that blew himself up suffered from bad dandruff, its reported they found his "Head and Shoulders" in Luxor Temple. :))) :))) :)))

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

That's sick. :sk

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:They are reporting the terrorist that blew himself up suffered from bad dandruff, its reported they found his "Head and Shoulders" in Luxor Temple. :))) :))) :)))
Sick, and in extremely poor taste even for you.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

So one minute you are calling these terrorists evil and condemning their actions.
yet you cant see the funny side when it all blow's up their face... on this occasion quite literally... :tk

Maybe it may put off some budding jihaddist from committing the same deed, thus saving lives... :up

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

A bomb went off under a car outside a pub the constable Mick Grey had slight 'shrapnel back injuries, I attended.
It was the same copper who a year earlier crashed into my ambulance whilst we were both on different emergency 999 calls.
I reminded him and pointed out all his minor injuries occurred in his back whilst he fled… :cool:
Ps: A copper well disliked even by his own. I think he made inspector.
Pss: The terrorist turned out to be a disgruntled squaddie from the local barracks.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller »

Major Thom wrote:They are reporting the terrorist that blew himself up suffered from bad dandruff, its reported they found his "Head and Shoulders" in Luxor Temple. :))) :))) :)))

Yes, a photograph of that popped up on my Facebook page yesterday. Strangely, although everything but the head and part of the shoulders was missing the head was relatively undamaged and the face intact. If you knew the man you would recognize him. Very graphic. Enough to put me off my breakfast. Almost!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Its quite OK to take the p*** out of a dead terrorist in my book as they are sub human, so do not fit the general terms of correctness. A very good pun MT. If the terrorist concerned would of heard it as he flicked the switch I'm quite certain that he would of died laughing.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Why do all these sick (in my opinion) jokes always emerge when these atrocities happen. Is it a human thing to help us cope with the horrors of society?