holiday visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Magy

holiday visa

Post by Magy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:57 pm

hi ya folks what the state of play for holiday visa flying into egypt on the 30th of november can they still be got at the airport

never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: holiday visa

Post by Who2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:20 pm

Yup!... :cool:
Ps: someone on here will tell you how much....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Yes Magy.
Been for my visa today, not been out of the country for over three years. Filled in the form and asked for 12 months, no no madam only 6 months. Ok. Had to provide one photo two photo copies of my last entry stamp, 2 copies of my last year visa, two copies of my passport details. Pay 8le given back my passport with a date and number written in it. I was then told that someone would ring me in the next week or two and make arrangements to visit me in my home. I repeated three times "they will come to my home? I do not have to go to the office?" I was assured by the very nice young man that yes they will come to my home. So that is the state of play so far....to be continued.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:37 pm

I understand that "bona fide"tourists on a two week holiday from certain countries can still get their visas at airport Magy.
Don't think you got anything to worry about.

Kim

Post by Kim » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi got my 1 month visa at cairo airport paid with £20 sterling and got LE40 change this was on 7th October

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:09 pm

I think Carrie was a bit confused with the request, 'it was a holiday visa at the airport Carrie not visiting the Nazi...:cool:
Ps: Magy just avoid the traffic of people and sign holding guys, skirt round them and you will see men behind glass windows to your left waving at you or else you will be standing inline waiting, about £20 quid as Kim stated, Cairo is the same price as Luxor...
'Some people stay just too long in the sun......
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Margaret Q

Post by Margaret Q » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi, you can get your tourist visa at the airport - the cost is $25, - probably easier to take correct money and then there is no hassle about change etc... You will be given a sticky visa to put on a clean page in your passport and away you go (it will be valid for a month).

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:42 am

carrie wrote:Yes Magy.
Been for my visa today, not been out of the country for over three years. Filled in the form and asked for 12 months, no no madam only 6 months. Ok. Had to provide one photo two photo copies of my last entry stamp, 2 copies of my last year visa, two copies of my passport details. Pay 8le given back my passport with a date and number written in it. I was then told that someone would ring me in the next week or two and make arrangements to visit me in my home. I repeated three times "they will come to my home? I do not have to go to the office?" I was assured by the very nice young man that yes they will come to my home. So that is the state of play so far....to be continued.
Home visit? That's a new one then as all my friends up to now have had to visit the pits. Make sure you have clean knickers on in case of an accident. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:12 am

I can't understand it either Dusak, I know people who have had to visit the "office" but I did ask three times to make sure I understood and even said I will have to get the cake in then. We shall see. Perhaps they thought I was a poor old lady and took pity.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:27 am

carrie wrote:I can't understand it either Dusak, I know people who have had to visit the "office" but I did ask three times to make sure I understood and even said I will have to get the cake in then. We shall see. Perhaps they thought I was a poor old lady and took pity.
Seems to me Carrie that they are moving their system back to the old days, when this was common with regards to ex-pats

I expect soon every one will have to present their passports when changing money at the banks and hotels as before, where no matter what name you told them, they would write the name as presented on the passport only.

I know this will not effect you but, in the distant past they did want to see how much money you were spending each month, and those bank/hotel receipts told them automatically, so do save them, just in case.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:40 pm

If one arrives on a tourist visa ($25 at the airport) how easy is it to get an extension to 3 or 6 months?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Brian Yare wrote:If one arrives on a tourist visa ($25 at the airport) how easy is it to get an extension to 3 or 6 months?
Rather more difficult than it used to be :lol:

Without proof of property ownership or a registered tenancy you won't get more than 3 months....and that includes the 1 month entry visa. i.e. a 2 month extension.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:07 pm

A-Four wrote:
carrie wrote:I can't understand it either Dusak, I know people who have had to visit the "office" but I did ask three times to make sure I understood and even said I will have to get the cake in then. We shall see. Perhaps they thought I was a poor old lady and took pity.
Seems to me Carrie that they are moving their system back to the old days, when this was common with regards to ex-pats

I expect soon every one will have to present their passports when changing money at the banks and hotels as before, where no matter what name you told them, they would write the name as presented on the passport only.

I know this will not effect you but, in the distant past they did want to see how much money you were spending each month, and those bank/hotel receipts told them automatically, so do save them, just in case.
What would be the point of that when there are machines at which you can change sterling, dollars or euros for EGP?

Then....what is the point of any of it. Job creation?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:12 pm

Because some people are supporting themselves by a local source of income. A tourist is a visitor and therefore should be supporting themselves on money brought into the country from abroad.

Back in the day that things worked this way there were no ATM machines, so you had to go to an exchange bureau and a live person to get local currency.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:10 am

newcastle wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:If one arrives on a tourist visa ($25 at the airport) how easy is it to get an extension to 3 or 6 months?
Rather more difficult than it used to be :lol:

Without proof of property ownership or a registered tenancy you won't get more than 3 months....and that includes the 1 month entry visa. i.e. a 2 month extension.
I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by this, but could you please clarify?
Carpe diem! :le:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:52 pm

I don't know if the process is the same in Luxor but in Hurghada the rental contract has to be "notarised" at sharakari. Stamped, signed, whatever.

I'm still trying to find out where exactly one has to go.

Good luck :lol:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:45 pm

I had to go to the court to get mine registered. Together with a certified interpreter, got lots of stamps on the contract took about half an hour.