Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Visa

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:25 pm

Moonstone wrote:
Scottishtourist wrote:So,basically an ex-pat in Egypt is treated differently to a tourist?
They can go where they want,do what they want...just because they proclaim to live there..on a tourist visa?

Mark my words!This will all come back to bite you on the bum!

You really cannot expect "preferential"treatment just because you keep renewing your tourist visa.
And at the moment you do not have one!

I could get "work permit"for Egypt tomorrow..if I so desired!
UK nurse.Lots of opportunities there.

But you all seem intent on "bending"the rules"to suit yourselves!

Why else would any other ex pat/frequent visitor be advising you on the fact that "those Egyptians"won't even check your visa?

It's basically because they all "know the system"..and corruption is rife!
Words fail me. :xx
Well,of course they do Moonstone!
Cos,you appear to live in Luxor..so you do not share any opinions on forum..except to give the odd dislike here and there..but say nothing!
Is it any wonder I'm confused by this forum?
Is it any wonder I ask questions and give opinions?

I'd say NO!!Cos quite frankly very few questions are answered..and I ain't too good with "cryptic"clues!

Bit of a "bummer"really,when some people just pop up and give their opinion on a post without elaborating on their views!

Hope Keefy monitors this and deletes the post!Cos,quite frankly I'm bloody fed up giving my OWN opinions when everyone else just"buries"their head in the sands if Egypt!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:30 pm

Cut the crap ST. You're making yourself look silly.

Carrie's visa has expired. She dutifully went to get it renewed and was told the process will take a couple of months.

That's it. End of.

Most applicants are being dealt with in the same way. No corruption involved. No subterfuge. The authorities know she's here, where she lives and are obviously content for her to stay here until her case is reviewed and cleared.

In my own case , where my visa was expiring 6 weeks before I intended to leave, I went to the passport office to apply for an extension and was told this was unecessary, I can stay without penalty for another six weeks, and apply for a new visa in the usual way when I return.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:50 pm

Newcastle

When you apply for another visa (via an embassy or consulate), the form asks about the dates for your last three visits to Egypt.

Which do you declare? The true dates, or the ones for which you have a visa?

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:51 pm

It's not "crap" newcastle.

People/ex-pats are just being advised to "do their own thing"and go where they want!With NO visa!

All because they won't be questioned about it.And the "thickos"in Egypt won't even check their visa!

Well,that really instills in me a sense of "security!"

Maybe I been brought up wrong..but I would never,ever question rules of a foreign country(especially an Arabic one)nor try to work a "fly one"with those very same regulations!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:51 pm

Brian Yare wrote:Newcastle

When you apply for another visa (via an embassy or consulate), the form asks about the dates for your last three visits to Egypt.

Which do you declare? The true dates, or the ones for which you have a visa?
I've never applied via the Egyptian Embassy in London. I get my visa on arrival and then apply for an extension if I intend to stay more than 30 days.

I'm slightly puzzled by your question. Surely each and every visit you make is accompanied by a visa, either obtained beforehand at the embassy or at the airport on arrival.

Just insert the actual dates of your visits. If you're wondering about the 90 day restriction with a multiple entry visa, I assume this doesn't include previous visits.....but you'll soon find out if it does :lol:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:03 pm

I think we should all agree with ST she knows it all, is always right, never reads any posts properly but what difference does that make.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:40 am

With all due respect Carrie, if your 2 month extension expires before you get a new tourist visa, shouldn't the question be "Can I stay in Egypt without a visa?" instead of "Can I stay in a hotel without a visa?"

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:13 am

The answer to that seems to be "yes" going from the experience of those who've actually posed the question.to the staff at the passport office.

The office gives you extended permission to stay until a formal response is given to your application.

I have heard of cases where someone who had been here continuously for several years was told to leave and return (if they wished ).

Provided you advise passport office of your wishes/intentions and follow their instructions you should have no problem.
Last edited by newcastle on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:24 am

I haven't got a two months extension Glyph all I have is a number in my passport and an indecipherable scribble.
This seems to be the case with almost everyone who have been for the visa, I have complied with all the regulations so far and never was it said by the authorities that I was staying here illegally, and I prefer to take their advice or instructions rather than anyone else's, no doubt I will learn more after the interview.
Actually there are so many experts out there with their different interpretations and reasons for what is happening I would prefer to let the matter drop and just do as I am told by those who are responsible, then we shall see.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:26 am

Can I suggest perhaps taking an Egyptian down to the passport office and asking the nice general behind the desk if its ok to travel to Hurghada or would they prefer you wait in Luxor until their checks are complete and you have a visa

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:41 am

The thing is the law still says you are supposed to have a visa to stay in Egypt. That does not mean that government employees won't advise you to do something against the law, especially if it is going to be more convenient to you to not bother with the visa.

They do this sort of thing with Egyptians, but in the end, a court might still recognize it as a violation. Most likely a misdemeanor with fines, but still.

Also, even if the authorities have told you it is OK, it doesn't mean a private hotel will let you stay or some other institution will stop you from doing what you want to do. I went about 8 months without renewing my expired identity card and used the expired one when I needed an id, but then one day I went to my bank to make an adjustment to something on my account and they told me they could not do it until I got a new id card. Strangely enough, I was then able to go upstairs to another person at the bank and make another unrelated transaction with nothing but my signature, no id at all even needed to be shown.

On the other hand, the passport and immigration department has leeway to make exceptions if it is warranted. Last time I traveled abroad I arrived at the airport and was told I couldn't leave. A new law had been applied two weeks previous very quietly for dual citizens who wanted to travel on their foreign passport and I was told I would have to go to the Mugamma and get some paperwork done before I could leave the country. I spent 10 minutes talking with guy in charge of passport control discussing what I could do to get on the flight I was booked on and in the end he told he would write "humanitarian circumstances" on my departure card based on my reasons for travel and let me on the plane. It also probably didn't hurt that I arrived early at the airport and they had very few people to process at the time so he could actually take the time to sit with me for 10 minutes. However, I read a few weeks later on Twitter about a whole bunch of angry dual citizens who were summarily sent away from the airport and not allowed to board their flights due to this same law so it all is a case-by-case thing.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:47 am

‎From another forum a few minutes ago :

1 hr ·
Update about my visa. I posted a while ago that I was given a "pending" stamp with very clear and firm instructions to return in 6 weeks. The 6 weeks ended yesterday but I was busy so I went this morning. On the way I was really worried because I'm a day late. When I arrived at the counter the staff took one quick look at my stamp and said they need another 2 weeks so I have to go back in 15 days! The uncertainty continues.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:50 pm

What surprises me is how "complacent"everyone living there without a current visa becomes!

I'd be worried sick!
Wouldn't be satisfied with just "sitting back"and adopting the "I'll wait"procedure.

I'd want to know why.When did the regulations change?Who changed them?And for what reason?

As for the post saying that someone was busy and couldn't make the appointment..so just "dawdled"along the next day..isn't that a blatent disrespect for authority?
Surely when it comes to something as important as having the correct papers to reside in a country..you make sure you are there at the alloted time?

I think the Egypt you are living in now is a totally different place from what it once used to be.
And as such,no-one can afford to be too complacent...or think that showing off a bloody fountain pen will automatically secure them a visa!

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:25 pm

carrie wrote:I think we should all agree with ST she knows it all, is always right, never reads any posts properly but what difference does that make.
Thanks Carrie!I agree!

Said "tongue-in-cheek"cos basically your post is encouraging people to ridicule my views.

The "usual"likes,lol!

Makes no difference to me.If only others could give their own views instead of pressing a "like"button..then this forum would be a splendid place.

God loves a "sinner!"lol.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:37 pm

I was going to say something witty re, the last post, but being totally honest, what's the f****ing point ?... :cool:
nighty night!..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Who2 wrote:I was going to say something witty re, the last post, but being totally honest, what's the f****ing point ?... :cool:
nighty night!..
So was I, but what's the f***ing point? :br

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Who2 wrote:I was going to say something witty re, the last post, but being totally honest, what's the f****ing point ?... :cool:
nighty night!..
People are living in a country without the appropriate paperwork that actually allows them to reside there!

And yet..all we can expect are witty comments!

Quite honestly..I'd be "bricking it!"

Certainly wouldn't be asking advice about how I can "travel"without appropriate paperwork!!

You're all living in a "dream"world..if you actually think that the rules that were once in force still apply.

It's changed days there.ISIS,terrorism,reasons for people living there without the appropriate paperwork!Pensioners,basically thinking they're adding a great deal to economy..when in fact,they don't have a leg to stand on..and can be chucked out on a whim!

I'd actually agree with the authorities!If you don't have a valid visa,offer very little to the economy,have no experience.i.e for work purposes,etc..then why the hell should they allow you to stay in the country?

You're actually doing nothing useful there!

Nanny Ogg

Post by Nanny Ogg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:02 am

I don't usually comment but ST you have finally goaded me in to it. If you'd care to read the UK immigration website it clearly states on there that as long as you have applied for new leave to remain before the old one expires you can continue to remain in the UK until the current application is decided. I guess the same applies to visa applications in Egypt. I'm with Carrie on this one and would be guided by officials at the passport office.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Do or do not there is no try! Yoda

Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:43 pm

I went to the passport office today and asked the 'General' about the temporary Number given whilst Security investigate whether or not to give you Temporary Residency. He did not know the answers and called Madam Sabar into his office. Madam Sabar said that after giving you a Number the Security can take up to one month to come to a decision and in the meantime you can travel anywhere within Egypt but not outside Egypt!!
NB Madam Sabar is retiring on 8 December - shame because she has always been so helpful to me.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:22 pm

Thank you Chris, eventually we will all understand, I hope :lol: