Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Visa

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:25 pm

carrie wrote:Thank you Chris, eventually we will all understand, I hope :lol:

Inch Allah

What worries me is that if I apply for an extension I may be prevented from leaving Egypt.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:01 am

Brian Yare wrote:

Inch Allah

What worries me is that if I apply for an extension I may be prevented from leaving Egypt.
The following information was given at the Hurghada office on 1st Nov:

Information from the Hurghada Passport Office, Colonel Mohamed Abdel Hamid

Tourist visas without Security Check: Fees LE 12:50. After having purchased a visa sticker at the airport for the price of 25 dollars a six months visa can be obtained at the passport office without undergoing a security check After the expiration of the six months visa it is required that the person leaves the country for at least 1 day. After having returned the procedure can be repeated. In case the applicant leaves the country e.g. after 2 months the visa expires and it must be applied for a new one. Twice a year you have to leave the country.

Additional information was given in relation to visas "with security checks" for those owning or renting property. Generally speaking it seems anyone with tourist visa will have to leave the country at least twice a year EXCEPT :

One year visas can be granted after the security check and the two months waiting period under the following requirements:

Child in a school in Egypt
Investment company with a capital contribution of USD 35.000.
Employment contract with social security
Property not less than USD 50.000 and registration
Marriage to an Egyptian with a legal "Egyptian marriage certificate"

The colonel also indicated that full rules will be posted in all relevant offices "within a month".

Based on anecdotal evidence, it would probably be unwise to rely on anything other than direct advice from a senior officer in relation to your own particular circumstances.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:03 am

So, from what I can see here above Newcastle, not only are they going to check that each individual is a 'goody two shoes', which of course is to be expected, but also, they want to check that all taxes due to the Egyptian government are paid up to date by each foreigner.

I still say, it may be a good idea to obtain all currency exchange receipt, though others on here will know better.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:23 am

As I read it, NO checks will be performed on snyone entering on a $25 visa snd applying for a 6 month extension..

Only those who intend to live here more or less permanently will be scrutinised.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:36 am

I read it the same way. It will be interesting to see if I can extend my current multi-entry visa for a stay of up to 6 months instead of a max of 90.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:52 am

Tired of being humiliated at the passport office, rather than getting a reentry visa, I start over with a sticker now and then (have even been blamed for this by the screaming lady).

So I arrived with a new entry visa and had it extended to six months. It cost me 11,25 EGP.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:54 am

Brian Yare wrote:

Inch Allah

I think the changes are geared to keeping people out not in :D

I think there is a 3 month visa available as well.
Last edited by Bombay on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:56 am

Brian Yare wrote:I read it the same way. It will be interesting to see if I can extend my current multi-entry visa for a stay of up to 6 months instead of a max of 90.
I suspect that, unless you come in on the $25 visa, life will be a lot more complicated!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:22 am

BENNU wrote:Tired of being humiliated at the passport office, rather than getting a reentry visa, I start over with a sticker now and then (have even been blamed for this by the screaming lady).

So I arrived with a new entry visa and had it extended to six months. It cost me 11,25 EGP.
That seems to tally with what we're being told in Hurghada.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:54 am

newcastle wrote:
BENNU wrote: I arrived with a new entry visa and had it extended to six months. It cost me 11,25 EGP.
That seems to tally with what we're being told in Hurghada.
:-) Which is why I mentioned it.

I am not the only one, by the way, renting a home here all year while having a life outside Egypt, to have an entry visa extended. No questions asked, nothing to hide.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:50 pm

President Sisi was interviewed on British T.V. this morning, he was asked about the serious human rights issues within his country. He stated that his country, Egypt was surrounded on all borders by war torn countries, and terrorists are infiltrating many areas of the nation, preparing to cause outrage and possibly attacks on tourists, and added that he has to do all he can to prevent this.

It's perhaps understandable that the security services must do all they can in the present situation to protect Egyptian people and also the tourists who visit there. Up until now, in my opinion Egypt has always been an easy going country when issuing extended visas, but that was then, and this is now.

The whole of the Middle East is in a dire situation, which I see as only getting worse, though this can be so easy not to realise when you live in a wonderful, peaceful backwater that Luxor and its WB is.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Well now you have to find $25 and only have 6 months to plot your destruction of Egypt (as an incoming tourist...no questions asked ). :lol:

As I've said before, whatever this shake up of the entry procedures is about. ...security it ain't!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:15 pm

newcastle wrote: One year visas can be granted after the security check and the two months waiting period under the following requirements:

Just to point out, none of the above are tourist visas. They are other pre-existing categories of one year visas, of which there are a few more you didn't mention in the list above, such as relatives of Egyptian citizens to the second or third degree. But nevertheless, what it sounds like is that anyone who is not eligible for a visa other than a tourist visa must leave the country every six months now, that is, unless they decide they don't want them at all and they give them orders to leave (like what happened to Wizard originally before he went on the run).

For the above mentioned categories, it sounds like nothing actually has changed at all, except I do hear rumors of one year marriage visas, which didn't exist for women before, only 3 and 5. Before, only men married to Egyptian women were limited to one year visas.

What Newcastle posted is very logical and makes a lot of sense compared to a lot of rumors I have seen. Now I am sure there are some people out there somewhere who will start ranting and raving that they didn't get their six month visa even and say that what Newcastle posted is wrong, but they probably were violating the law in some way and the security check found that out.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:15 pm

GD's right. The 1 year visa I mentioned is not a tourist visa. Obvious when you realise it covers, inter alia, those with employment contracts. And yes, I'm sure the list of eligible categories is not exhaustive.

As an incoming "tourist" you can opt for a no-frills 6 month extension. No checks required. When you leave the visa is cancelled and you start afresh when you return.

Or you can apply for a 6 month visa "with security checks "...the only advantage of which is, as far as I can see, that you can go and return within the 6 months, with a sort of re-entry stamp, and not have to re-apply for an extended stay. Nevertheless, after the original 6 months has expired you must leave and repeat the procedure when you return.

If this involves a repeat security check I can't really see the point of this "with security check " tourist visa other than a modest saving in fees.

Anyone wanting to stay in Egypt longer than 6 months and not leave, has to qualify under one or more of the categories mentioned and survive the necessary checks.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:15 pm

I have a multiple-entry visa in my passport that allows me to spend 90 days in Egypt between now and 26 April. I can come and go as I wish so long as I do not exceed 90 days in the country.

I will only discover whether I can extend my time to 6 months by applying at the Visa Office. I would prefer to book my return flights now, but will have to leave my plans open until I visit The Office.

Of course all this also affects Travel Insurance - and that is another concern.

I will keep the forum informed if I get any more information.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:52 pm

newcastle wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:

Inch Allah

The following information was given at the Hurghada office on 1st Nov:

Information from the Hurghada Passport Office, Colonel Mohamed Abdel Hamid

Tourist visas without Security Check: Fees LE 12:50. After having purchased a visa sticker at the airport for the price of 25 dollars a six months visa can be obtained at the passport office without undergoing a security check After the expiration of the six months visa it is required that the person leaves the country for at least 1 day. After having returned the procedure can be repeated. In case the applicant leaves the country e.g. after 2 months the visa expires and it must be applied for a new one. Twice a year you have to leave the country.

Additional information was given in relation to visas "with security checks" for those owning or renting property. Generally speaking it seems anyone with tourist visa will have to leave the country at least twice a year EXCEPT :

One year visas can be granted after the security check and the two months waiting period under the following requirements:

The colonel also indicated that full rules will be posted in all relevant offices "within a month".

Based on anecdotal evidence, it would probably be unwise to rely on anything other than direct advice from a senior officer in relation to your own particular circumstances.

Translated by Google ?.... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:15 pm

We have just heard 2 people been denied visas and have to leave Luxor. No reason given just visa been denied. Straight from horses mouth before anybody thinks we are scaremongering. Sad times for these people who both own property in Luxor.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:30 pm

I read elsewhere about two European foreigners living in a flat in Cairo (unmarried male-female, with one being of African origin) where at least one had an expired visa and the police burst into their flat at 1am and arrested them, threw them in the back of a box with a bunch of Africans, and the female was held behind bars for more than 24 hours.

Another with an expired visa decided to make things right and went to renew hers and was given a choice on the spot: leave the country within 24 hours, pay a massive fine, or go to jail. She chose the first because the second actually was more expensive than a last minute ticket to Istanbul.

Another, I think in Hurghada, was treated a little less harshly and was given 14 days to leave, but this one always had a valid visa.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:57 pm

If the Hurghada guy referred to by GD is who I think it is, he's had to sell up all his household goods pronto, and a nursery business.

Although he'd been renewing his visa regularly, he hadn't actually left Egypt since (from memory) 2008.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:02 pm

I think it was a woman in Hurghada with an orfi husband. Of course, there probably is more than one in this predicament.

If the guy with the nursery had a legitimate business, didn't he have a 5 year visa?