Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Luxoritis

Re: Visa

Post by Luxoritis » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:12 am

Hats off to your friend Dusak my friends have given up. Sold everything and are in process of leaving. They just said existing there is not living. Dirty tricks abound over property as well. Tell your friend to be careful.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:53 am

As I have said before on here there is a very clever lady english lawyer here with an Egyptian female lawyer, if you need her details contact us, we know who she is and she has been through all this and her first lawyer is now in the nick.
No comments required GD... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Of course not, Who. All the advice I posted above about renting is from personal experience, although fortunately we came out of what could have been a complete disaster totally unharmed. Probably not so relevant for an expat as I doubt most have more than a short term lease, but if you sign up for the maximum lease of 59 years, you need to be very very careful.

And I didn't even mention the part where the original lease contract was sitting in the courthouse when it was torched on January 28, 2011 and was destroyed. Fortunately the court put procedures in place to certify a photocopy was an exact duplicate of the lost one.

And I could tell you a lot more stories all involving Egyptians only. If you think funny business is only between Egyptians and foreigners or foreigners and foreigners, then you don't know what a minefield property is in this country in general.

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:29 pm

The elderly couple I mentioned are fighting tooth and nail over their property. The owner of the complex is demolishing the garden with no authorisation. I hope they fail miserably and the elderly couple sue the backside off him and his orfi wife. Disgusting behavior.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:30 pm

We never did think it was just us 'whiteys, Why do you think they have so many lawyers ? QED.
Personally I find it a total scream, and would love to introduce someone here to 'timeshare, Luxor and the 'red-sea resorts are just 'gagging for it...:cool:
Ps: Remember! 'There's more than just one born every minute!....Oh! and being honest the one's we get in Egypt are all mainly round the twist!

Pss: That's speaking as a Dr. theoretically, I have numerous letters & numbers sub sequential to my hilarious double-barrelled name..
Sophocles.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:21 pm

There were timeshare resorts in Hurghada back in 2001. Even then it was mostly Russians in them.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:44 pm

It never ceases to amaze me that foreigners buy real estate in Egypt. Even a decade ago the media was awash with stories of rip-offs.

Any UK solicitor would tell his client to run a mile on seeing the dubious tenure. ....without even considering the parlous state of Egypt.

And yet they still do it....even now...and not just those with a MMD. ( Just as well for those who, for whatever reason. need to sell)

Beggars belief .

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:33 pm

Once upon a time....until I got nicked!
I used to buy to sell, now I don't intend to sell, as I already sold it for a pound, that's a whole pound. A quid.... :cool:
Ps: 'mind you it cost me a grand to legalise it, Yes that's a thousand one pounds...
Sophocles.

Thunerbirds

Post by Thunerbirds » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:31 am

We are the elderly referred to by Luxoritis. We have been at Nile View, Gorf for over 4 years and have our property registered in Cairo.
The police and prosecutors office have been most helpful and we hope the case will soon come to court. We have received much encouragement from many Egyptians
as well as ex-pats.
Such a shock to arrive at 1am from Europe and find the outer gates barred at Nile View.
Understand we are not the first.

Nile

Post by Nile » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:21 am

Hello everybody, as I read your several posts concerning the visa, I called the Egyptian Embassy in my country to know what I had to do to keep my long term visa, before coming back to Egypt and they told me nothing has changed yet, all remains as it was until now, at least for the moment. So I hope I can just take a plane and come over (?). Wish you all a wonderful day :)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:50 am

What kind of visa is it? Tourist, or something else?

Of course your visa is not going to change, as it has already been issued for a specific amount of time. It isn't going to suddenly expire early.

But no visa is good for more than 6 months if you are outside Egypt. Even a 5 year visa expires if you go abroad for longer than 6 months.

What everyone is talking about here is renewing of visas, not keeping the ones they already have. So your embassy told you nothing that wasn't already known, and it does not mean that the issues others have been having have suddenly vanished.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:07 am

And an extended tourist visa - say 1 year - will be cancelled unless you left Egypt with a re-entry stamp.

Even if you have a re-entry stamp you might want to consider paying $25 at the airport on entry. This might enable you to get a further visa extension (assuming you wish to) with a lot less fuss than if you only have a re-entry stamp.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:03 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:"intends to stay"? But how, does your friend have a new visa stamp in their passport or not?

There are plenty of expats who have declared they will never leave and die on Egyptian soil but is it really up to them to make that decision? No, it is immigration that decides.
Sorry, but can not comment any further concerning this.
newcastle wrote:It never ceases to amaze me that foreigners buy real estate in Egypt. Even a decade ago the media was awash with stories of rip-offs.

Any UK solicitor would tell his client to run a mile on seeing the dubious tenure. ....without even considering the parlous state of Egypt.

And yet they still do it....even now...and not just those with a MMD. ( Just as well for those who, for whatever reason. need to sell)

Beggars belief .
I'm quite secure in my mind now that all my documents of ownership are as sound as the proverbial £ as the saying goes. Over the years I've had them checked by three lawyers and even a retired judge. I did intend to sell at least one of my property's, but now have decided against it. I will keep what I have and attempt to carry on enjoying my life beneath these continually darkening clouds.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:10 pm

Thunerbirds wrote:We are the elderly referred to by Luxoritis. We have been at Nile View, Gorf for over 4 years and have our property registered in Cairo.
"Nile View"? Never heard of it.

Also, why would Luxor property be registered in Cairo rather than Luxor?

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:57 pm

Quite a few ex pats have registered in Cairo rather than Luxor. Far less chance that someones brothers uncle cousin etc can interfere or make an under the table payment to have something inserted in Arabic befire registration that may be missed. Its a trust issue for a lot of people.