Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Visa

Post by carrie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm sure everyone must be fed up of this topic but here we go again.
My visa ran out on 23rd October, went to renew it and was given a number paid 8le and was told someone would come to my home. Strange I thought because everyone else goes to the office but wait and see.
Well two weeks later I received a phone call at 10.30pm saying that I had to go for an interview at the secret police place near the Tut Hotel next day. I had to take a photo copy of my passport, rental agreement and my landlords i.d.
Went for the interview, gave them my papers and they asked me if I worked and how I supported myself here. Told them that I had a government pension and a pension from my work. They also remarked on the fact that I had not left Egypt for the past four years.
OK go to the passport office in ten days and you will see if you have the visa.
Well off I went today, Madam welcomed me as usual and asked for 50 something pounds and told me to come back at two where I was presented with my passport and my 6 months visa.
Now I am not saying that everyone is treated the same I have heard horror stories like everyone else, all I can do is tell you all what happened to me.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Visa

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm not surprised at all. You seem like an honest and law-abiding person to me so if the reason others are getting kicked out is for violating the law (e.g. for working illegally, moral crimes), then you really never had anything to worry about.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:41 pm

carrie wrote: Now I am not saying that everyone is treated the same I have heard horror stories like everyone else, all I can do is tell you all what happened to me.
I don't know you Carrie, but from the details you give here I'm not too surprised that every thing went fine for you, and of course pleased for you. :wi .

Just a couple of things I wonder about,

1) Did you have to show proof of your income from the U.K.

2) Did they ask if you had medical insurance.

I simply ask, because I have two old friends who live in Essna, and they seem to be going through the same situation . Her husband has full insurance, but she is the type who thinks she's as strong as a buffalo, though in her 70's, and like the rest of us ever so slightly crazy.

Many thanks,.

P.S.- I would normal post this as a P.M., but such information might be useful to others.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:41 pm

So pleased to hear it's sorted out and you have your visa Carrie! Great news! :D

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:45 pm

A-Four wrote:
carrie wrote: Now I am not saying that everyone is treated the same I have heard horror stories like everyone else, all I can do is tell you all what happened to me.
I don't know you Carrie, but from the details you give here I'm not too surprised that every thing went fine for you, and of course pleased for you. :wi .

I simply ask, because I have two old friends who live in Essna, and they seem to be going through the same situation . Her husband has full insurance, but she is the type who thinks she's as strong as a buffalo, though in her 70's, and like the rest of us ever so slightly crazy.

Many thanks,.

P.S.- I would normal post this as a P.M., but such information might be useful to others.
The Residence Permit system in Turkey requires proof of a minimum income or bank deposit, and medical insurance with either the government scheme or a private Turkish company. Maybe Egypt is looking to set up a similar system?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Yildez wrote:
A-Four wrote:

Many thanks,.

The Residence Permit system in Turkey requires proof of a minimum income or bank deposit, and medical insurance with either the government scheme or a private Turkish company. Maybe Egypt is looking to set up a similar system?
Yes, you are right Yildez, I also have friends who live in Central Turkey in a place called Konya ( only been there a few times, never stay long for obvious reason you might be aware of :wi ). They have to prove what you say here, and like you, I suspect Egypt will insist on the same, though I don't blame them.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:58 pm

No they didn't ask about medical insurance and they didn't ask me to prove my source of income, don't have medical insurance but I do have proof of income which I did take with me just in case but wasn't asked for it.
What I do have though and many don't is a rental contract which is registered in the court.
As I said before though this is my personal experience, I have heard about such and such a body all second hand stories, I just thought it might be helpful to tell what happened to me.
Yildez can't wait now for your arrival we will have a great time in Hurghada, inshallah.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Pleased for you Carrie.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:36 pm

Luxor certainly seems much more convoluted than Hurghada.

The process in Hurghada is leave, come back with a $25 visa and apply for, and get, a 6 month visa, no questions asked.

Even those people who applied for 6 months without leaving only had their file referred to Cairo for clearance .

Odd there should be such widely different procedures.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:42 pm

That's why I stressed that this was my experience Newcastle not trying to say that everyone will undergo the same procedure's.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:37 am

Very pleased to hear of your good news carrie. Getting your visa renewed now creates as much excitement as winning the National Lottery, and a lottery is, I suppose, a likeness to the process we now have to go through. :lol: Like you, I consider myself a law abiding visitor, but it still niggles at the back of your mind, 'will I or won't I...
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:17 am

Calling it a lottery would be a good way to justify to why one is being made to leave without having to admit to oneself and others that one did something that the security services didn't like. It's very clear though that this isn't a lottery.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:41 am

I would have thought its more for security purposes than anything else. These days it does not matter where you come from or what Country, its important that Countries turn their thoughts to the security of the place. don't forget an attempt was made on Karnak. I suppose because of the history and historic sites in and around Luxor, its more important than the newer places like Hurghada and Sharm with only sand sea and sangria. IS remember have destroyed much of Syria's history by destroying temples and historic sites. Such a shame that a Countries history can be devastated by imbeciles, hell bent on destroying places, murdering, and raping in the name of their own ideals. So if we have to go through this process so be it, nothing you can do about it. Just make sure you have your airfare ready. No one is immune even though they think they are.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:46 am

Exactly the same experience as Carrie...we had our "interview" at the same time. Just going over to collect ours at 2pm.
Fees were Le8 at the first application and then Le53 upon collection of the 6 month visa in the passport. Absolutely no drama and smiles all round.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:47 am

I think if someone were under the age of 55-60, they might have a harder time explaining how they manage to support themselves as it is unlikely they have a pension, and thus are more likely to be working illegally. It's believable that someone older would be supporting themselves from a pension, even without proof.

You two also spend time in the UK hence you act like tourists, so it isn't surprising you got yours renewed either. That's also further proof you are financially solvent.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:23 pm

I think its still 65 and 60 in the UK for retirement age, or at least it was when I left the UK depending on the year you was born. However like myself many retire early due to the fact the latest recession put people out of work. There is a thing called Superannuation Retirement which is normally given from a national company for staff members, a similar one I get myself. Mine is fortunately indexed linked. My private pension also provides a bit more, and in 18 months my state pension will top things up a little more.

Has anyone asked if this interview has to be gone through every 6 months to renew your visa, or is it a one off?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Think you are a little behind the times MT, someone I know has just turned 60 and she has to work until she is 67 before she is entitled to her O.A.P.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:09 pm

carrie wrote:Think you are a little behind the times MT, someone I know has just turned 60 and she has to work until she is 67 before she is entitled to her O.A.P.
And that was at the last rehash of the system and ages. Many of us fear it will rise again, or even that there will be no state pension at all for those born after a certain date irrespective of the fact they will have paid in to it.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:35 pm

I just fall in for mine at 65 by 7 months and have already been told when my pension will start, when to apply and how much a week it will be. So I am one of the Lucky ones. Judging by what you say Hepzi and Carrie it seems some will be working until the grave. Really I find that pretty disgusting, paying in all your working life and getting nothing in return. I believe though the State Pension pot has been low for some time now, and keep on hearing its due to people living longer. If this is true I don't know, its only what I have heard from others.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:09 pm

carrie wrote:Think you are a little behind the times MT, someone I know has just turned 60 and she has to work until she is 67 before she is entitled to her O.A.P.
While the pensionable age for women is being raised so that it matches that for men, this is being done over several years.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension