Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Visa

Post by Major Thom » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:13 am

"You must come to Luxor we need your support" of course you are very correct Hepzi in what you say, these statements are more than likely to put people off rather than attract them. Most of these statements appear on Social Media I would suspect, and to me using Social Media to advertise is scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Maybe who ever these people are putting these statements on have a vested interest for doing so, but they are damaging more than doing good. Maybe these people are inexperienced in tourism, but just like to get involved, not realising the damage they may be doing. You do not have to look far to see the reason for the drop in tourism, the regions around us are in a bit of turmoil. Ask people from visiting Countries why they do not want to come? The answer lies there. Forget the foreigners that live here and the regular 6 month visitors who state they live here, (They don't) the only foreigners that live here are the ones prepared to stay Summer and Winter alike. these people will give misleading reports, you need to look ate the people that have never been here, would like to come but are afraid to do so, let them answer your questions. We cannot from our shores tell them we can only guide them, if they want to listen so be it, if they do not we have to respect their wishes too.

From my own point of view both myself and wife love Luxor, we like its tranquility and its peace, we like its simple way of life, and we like to get out and see the sights, we also like the local villagers where we live they are super people even though there are some with green eyes toward foreigners, but they are the one who fail to realise, that what foreigners have has been earned over the many years of work. So these people you have to except and treat the same because they just do not know. Although Luxor is a cheap place to live, if that is the only reason you are living here then you should think again, it soon will not be has the currencies drop and the Government acquire money to improve life, like all governments do around the world. Myself and wife also feel secure here, and with the help of camera's and check points around the City, it gives a better feeling of security. I have said in previous posts that with over 92 million people in Egypt it is a big task to keep the place totally secure, but at this moment of time they are doing a good job, and to be honest we maybe feel more secure here than we would back home. We can say this because we actually live here 12 months of the year, leaving for holidays once a year. Please do not come back with posts saying that we are buttering up the security services, we are not, all we are doing is stating that they are doing a good job up to press, there is still vigilance needed and still more work to do. I read on one post where the Governor will not be able to put the City correct during his office, that maybe correct, but would anyone want to be the Governor at this point in time, his workload must be enormous, and dealing with things that go on must be a 48 hour a day event. I personally would hate to do the job at the moment even if I was Egyptian and qualified for the post, i would no longer be able to cope with the workload.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:02 pm

The spelling and grammar police cannot be bothered to tear this post to pieces!

8)

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Brian Yare wrote:The spelling and grammar police cannot be bothered to tear this post to pieces!

8)

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:38 am

Has anyone got one of these new yearly visa's that the Deputy Governor announced?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:58 am

Make what you will of this..........

21 January at 15:15
Hurghadian News : the visa renewals returned to be one year instead of 6 months in south Sinai for the foreign residents.

the workers in the tourism sector in South Sinai have welcomed the Interior Ministry's decision to extend the return of the renewal of the foreign residents from 6 months to a year, stressing that the confusion that was done in the last period caused the departure of many foreigners because of the short duration of the renewal of residence.
The Ministry of Interior has decided to short duration of residency renewal foreign communities to 6 months instead of a year and when complained workers tourism of this command after the migration of many foreign residents , particularly in the city of Dahab, which have a large proportion of foreign residents that live there from a long time.
The Passport Department at the Ministry of the Interior decided that the renewals of foreign residents to be for a year instead of 6 months.
Said Mohsen Jafar an activist in the tourism issues in Dahab said that the decision of renewal for 6 months only have led that many foreign residents leave , the decision that was released before the Russian plane crisis caused the immigration of 70% of the foreign residents in Dahab . and this foreign residents was participating in promoting the Egyptian tourism, pointing out that the Decision had affected Dahab more than the fall of the Russian aircraft, many of them have sold their property and their homes and returned to their original countries , even though they live from many years and are involved in the marketing and advertising of Dahab and share with the Egyptians all their problems and took part in helping the tourism sector and the Egyptian Economy .
Jaafar have welcomed the positive response of the authorities to the complaints of the people of Dahab about this problem and that this decision was cancelled to be one year instead of 6 months .
source : AL Balad news
http://www1.el-balad.com/1928221

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:07 am

Major Thom wrote:Has anyone got one of these new yearly visa's that the Deputy Governor announced?
Yes, a friend in Luxor who has been there for about the last 10 years, with regular visits back to see family in the UK, no business and no egyptian husband has just collected her 12 month visa yesterday from the Luxor office

AliAbdulUK

Post by AliAbdulUK » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:54 pm

My Partner has just got her 12 month Temporary Tourist Residence.

It took almost seven weeks.

She was surprised to find that the Interpreter used by the Security HQ was Mina Melad, the editor of Luxor Times! He told her he knew everything about the ex-pats in Luxor! We hope he does not use any of the confidential information in his publication!

When my Partner telephoned Hamed at the Passport Office to enquire if the Residency had been approved he told her that he was still waiting a decision - he said this before asking her name!

The Passport Office confirmed to her that they only deal with the “Temporary Tourist Residence” and “Re-entry Visa”. They do not deal with the “5 Year Residence” or the “Temporary Non-Tourist Residence” details of which you can find on this website:

http://www.moiegypt.gov.eg/English/Depa ... esidence5/

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:07 pm

Thank you for that information.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:13 pm

AliAbdulUK wrote:
When my Partner telephoned Hamed at the Passport Office to enquire if the Residency had been approved he told her that he was still waiting a decision - he said this before asking her name!
Why is this surprising?

Stepping Stone
United States of America

Post by Stepping Stone » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:35 pm

AliAbdulUK wrote:
She was surprised to find that the Interpreter used by the Security HQ was Mina Melad, the editor of Luxor Times! He told her he knew everything about the ex-pats in Luxor! We hope he does not use any of the confidential information in his publication!
well well well; here is another one; a guest on the `get it off your chest`posts about ehab gaddis and mena melad;avoid them at all costs;they give all your information to the secret police;do not trust them;they are responsible for many problems expats are facing

AliAbdulUK

Post by AliAbdulUK » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:30 pm

You mean GD that the Passport Office knows exactly who is calling without even asking their names? I am sure that the staff are not that good! Or are you just making sarcastic remarks about the Passport Office Staff - if so better watch out in case Mina Melad is reading this

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:42 pm

Oh, I definitely do not need to watch out for Mena. Hahahahaha. In fact, it's you who should stop making insinuations about him as it is not appropriate.

Why wouldn't they be able to know who is calling? It's YOU who are questioning their capabilities, NOT ME.

You know the song "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"? Some good advice in there for you.

AliAbdulUK

Post by AliAbdulUK » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Now I know GD has lost her marbles if she can say that Egyptians know exactly who is calling them on the telephone - even when they do not know your number and you haven't introduced yourself. What a laugh hahahaha.
At least I can't be asked to leave the Country
Last edited by AliAbdulUK on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:45 pm

Laugh all you want, but I'm not the one who has a visa to renew.

AliAbdulUK

Post by AliAbdulUK » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:53 pm

and neither am I

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:07 pm

Well, obviously your partner does.

So tell me, why am I supposed to be afraid of Mena?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 am

I've known Mena for ten years and a great number of other foreigners living here for a similar time as myself also know him well. I, as others, have found that Mena is an extremely helpful person, going out of his way many a time to help us out in various ways. And I know that even then, he had a couple of friends in the street SP, but I doubt very much that he was feeding them information as a lot of the undesirables then living here that he knew [foreigners], would of been kicked out far, far earlier than they eventually were. You need concrete evidence to make statements such as this, supposition only creates posts like the former ''get it off your chest'' ones.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:53 am

Agree entirely "D", would love to be able to smoke a Shisha like him though! :lol:

Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:31 pm

I have to say that Minah was very helpful and polite in arranging and attending my interview - no complaints at all

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Dusak wrote:I've known Mena for ten years and a great number of other foreigners living here for a similar time as myself also know him well. I, as others, have found that Mena is an extremely helpful person, going out of his way many a time to help us out in various ways. And I know that even then, he had a couple of friends in the street SP, but I doubt very much that he was feeding them information as a lot of the undesirables then living here that he knew [foreigners], would of been kicked out far, far earlier than they eventually were. You need concrete evidence to make statements such as this, supposition only creates posts like the former ''get it off your chest'' ones.
Since coming back to the UK i have realised (took some time though) how you slip into a kind of twilight zone existence living in Luxor. For example like carrie thinks the roads are great in Egypt (I did too, till I got back to the UK), it's like you convince yourself that all is good, which many things are, sun, laziness, friendliness from many Egyptians etc. Same like the post from Dusak saying how nice and helpful Mena is, when he told me that he had put up a lot of money towards Luxor Times magazine which he never become a partner of, also that Mena took one of is laptops and never got it back. (in other words, don't trust him). In the UK you would call that double faced, that's what many ex-pats become after living there a long time. (BTW, I personaly found Mena to be very friendly, he never caused me any concern.)