Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Visa

Post by A-Four » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:26 pm

I am not sure how the system works in Egypt these days, but in the past if you invested a certain amount of money into the Egyptian economy, which included purchases of a maximum of two properties, residency was permitted, of course all transactions must be made in local currency.

Most Western countries have a fast track system to gain residency. In the U.S.A. I think it's $1,000,000 into a business that must employ at least ten people, however, if you are retired and purchase a property of $150,000 in say, Orlando, then it is obvious you are not going to accept a six months tourist visa.

When the U.K. handed Hong Kong back to China, the British government were very worried that it might have to accept thousands of residents there, so it added a clause of such immigration, that each person would only be allowed into the U.K. with an investment of £1,000,000. Some EU countries offer a discount entry for residency of as little as €500,000.

In my initial post on this sub-subject, where I suggested places away from Luxor, where true ex-pats bought second homes, or retirement homes, it is obvious the person is not going to seek employment and that person will hold an Egyptian bank account which is frequently up loaded with a hard currency. Why should not the Egyptian government welcome you with open arms, which they do,.............with a residence visa.

What happens in Luxor in this matter has always remained a mystery to me, but then again, when I lived there, I never involved myself in the 'wheeler dealing' of ex-pats purchasing properties. In my time there most people rented, and there were very few problems with that system.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:14 pm

It's actually only $500k in the US if you set up the business in a disadvantaged area that needs investment. They have a quota too for the visas that doesn't actually even get used up each year so as long as you have the money and the business idea it is fairly easy. It gives you permanent residency and you are eligible for citizenship in 5 years. I have a friend who is a lawyer who works in helping people get these kinds of visas, mainly Chinese investors.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Although there's a lot of fluttering in the hen house over the "new rules" and it appears that, in most cases, you'll have to make do with 6 months, it remains unclear as to what happens after that 6 months.

Although many, who have been here for a long time without leaving, are being told to leave and re-enter, I know of cases where this wasn't required.

And if the go-and-come back is a one- off (too early to tell) then it's just an extra visit to the passport office each year.

Again, these comments are made in respect of Hurghada. Luxor seems to be dealing with its cases somewhat differently.

At a meeting a few days ago the governor agreed to expedite the publication of comprehensive details pertaining to the issuing of tourist visas.

Hurghada is replete with foreigners who've been here for ages without valid visas and it wouldn't surprise me if this was simply a mechanism to clean everything up. A few months ago they were knocking on doors in the night! What's going on now seems a lot more civilised.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:36 pm

I remember when I first came to live here it wasn't unusual for the police to come round and see who was living in an apartment and everywhere you went if you were married to an Egyptian you had to carry the papers with you in case the police stopped you. Now it seems that anything goes.
Loads of landlords over here don't even ask for the marriage papers before they rent a flat to a couple.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:17 pm

I personally do not shed any tears concerning my loss of the visa related value of purchase due to bad information received. What has gone has gone. Quite happy to go along with the flow as I seen no other sensible options to even consider.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:14 pm

FROM the Ministry of Interior website:

http://www.moiegypt.gov.eg/English/Depa ... esidence5/

Services Delivered to Foreigners

Passports , Emigration & Nationality >> Services Delivered to Foreigners >> Types of Residence Permits >> The 5 Year Residence >> The 5 Year Residence

Entry Visas

Travel documents are granted to the following categories of foreigners

Types of Residence Permits

Foreigners who Lose their Passports

Home Page

This residence permit is valid for (5) renewable years and granted to the following categories :
• Foreign investors as well as their wives and children.
• Egyptian citizens who waived their Egyptian nationality due to acquiring another nationality as well as their children.
• Sons & daughters of:
o Egyptian mothers/fathers who have been granted Egyptian nationality & adults whose mothers - granted aSpecial Regular / Five Year Residence - are their guardian because of the death of their fathers.
• Those who are over 60 years of age who had resided in Egypt for (10) years and have a source of income in Egypt.
• Foreigners who have been granted 5 Year Residence Permit according to international conventions.
• Wives and widows of Egyptian husbands.
• Wives of foreigners who are granted Regular Residence Permits.
• Wives and children of foreigners who are granted 5 Year Residence Permits in the abovementioned cases.
• The 5 Year Residence Permit costs L.E. 203.10.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Thank you Chris.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:35 pm

No wonder so many are leaving, I have never seen such a depleted, ex pat community in my life. Those that have not gone are making plans has we speak.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:53 pm

A useful information post from Chris...thank you.
However I could not see anywhere the corrollary that all the above was inapplicable in Luxor. It certainly seems to be the case.

Having said that I am happy with my newly renewed 6 month visa. Life will continue as it does 8)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:55 pm

And so say all of us Bblux :lol:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:09 pm

There are 3 and 1 year visas available that aren't in the above list.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:44 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:There are 3 and 1 year visas available that aren't in the above list.
Then you should post them as Chris did. Unless you truly insist that we should hunt them out for ourselves. Not interested personally, but some may be.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Dusak wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:There are 3 and 1 year visas available that aren't in the above list.
Then you should post them as Chris did. Unless you truly insist that we should hunt them out for ourselves. Not interested personally, but some may be.
I don't wish answer for Glyph here, as I am certain she is capable of answering for herself.

For my part on rare occasions when I came into contact with the Europeans, when I LIVED there, I came across people who actually spent £250,000 for a small villa, (and yes I do mean sterling). Do you honestly think their partner ever wanted them to get residency ? NO. Do you think the Egyptian person in this matter may appreciate any advise I would give to their European partner ? No, and neither would his mates. Do you honestly believe, in your wildest dreams that any European would believe me rather than 'their' Mohammid ? NO.

..........and you would more than likely get the same thanks for your help, that in most cases as on this form, which I shall leave for others to answer.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:34 pm

And do you remember A Four when a European couldn't open a bank account in their own name, it had to be in the name of an Egyptian. That's probably why the villa cost 250,000 sterling.
Bless their little cotton socks.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:55 pm

carrie wrote:And do you remember A Four when a European couldn't open a bank account in their own name, it had to be in the name of an Egyptian. That's probably why the villa cost 250,000 sterling.
Bless their little cotton socks.
Yer You're right Carrie, and I'm sure you'll agree with me, it was best to keep a wide berth of most of them, then. Sad really because for my last three year I lived there only for six months in the Winter, it was then that I came into contact with a group of ex-pats who didn't talk the usual crap, and life with them on regular basis was always fun, and very supportive. Although they knew I had lived there a long time, if anyone joined our group for a short time and they asked me anything, I would always say,..........'What do I know, I'm only a two week tourist'. My friends never let on either,...........it worked every time,......and no come backs,.........simple. :wi .

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:07 am

You still cannot have a proper Bank Account, only one that you put money in and take money out, the full banking services are only available to those with a residents visa.
There still seems to be many discrepancies with visa's some who have not left the Country for 5 or more years are getting renewals, but some who have been away from the Country in the past 4 years are being told they must leave and come back and renew, (If they are allowed back in).

"At a meeting a few days ago the governor agreed to expedite the publication of comprehensive details pertaining to the issuing of tourist visas". This statement was issued by Newcastle on the 25th November 2015, maybe Newcastle would like to come back and tell the forum where people can get a copy of this publication by the Luxor Governor. When people read this publication it will be easier to understand.

Sorry to bring this subject up again, but like I said there seems to be too many discrepancies when you listen to people who have renewed visa's. At one time I thought that if you had not left the Country for a few years, then you had to leave and return, and when you return you had to reapply all over again. It would be interesting to hear from those that have been made leave the Country and how they got on when returning. Its still a confusing issue that really needs clearing up. Maybe this publication by the Governor, like Newcastle refers to may go some way in doing so.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:52 am

I was refrrring to the situation in Hurghada MT, and the governor there (Red Sea ). There's been no publication yet as far as I'm aware.

The situation remains that each case is treated independently and apparently identical cases end up with different results.

By and large it's just a cause for frustration rather than insuperable difficulty .

I heard of a case yesterday where a lady was given 12 months at Luxor, as a tourist, and without any investigation .

Seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Everyone asked to leave seems to get back in without difficulty and , generally, is then given 6 months, although I've heard that in Sharm, 3 months is the norm.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:46 am

Sent you a PM Newcastle.... Sorry I took it that you were talking about the Luxor Governor.

I agree though that its a lottery and a big cause of frustration. Maybe the lady involved was married to a local, or maybe she took her lawyer with her.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:57 am

Just thinking out loud here...

I wonder if people knew the various visa stipulations of their own home countries, and the banking restrictions too, they would find the requirements in another country so frustrating.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:53 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:Just thinking out loud here...

I wonder if people knew the various visa stipulations of their own home countries, and the banking restrictions too, they would find the requirements in another country so frustrating.
Anyone from outside the EU would undoubtedly find the visa requirements in UK restrictive....probably more so than UK citizens coming to Egypt.

HOWEVER, what they would also find is that the requirements are clearly set out and are applied uniformly to people whose circumstances are identical.

And that there are clear procedures to follow for anyone who is dissatisfied with the ruling in their particular case .

It is the lack of clarity and consistency in Egypt, as is apparent from the experience of many, which people find frustrating. Not that there ARE rules and regulations.