Visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Visa

Post by Bombay » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:12 am

I was told last week by the assistant Gov in Luxor it's now a 12 month Visa again.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:30 am

Bombay wrote:I was told last week by the assistant Gov in Luxor it's now a 12 month Visa again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I rest my case !

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:49 am

Major Thom wrote:
I agree though that its a lottery and a big cause of frustration. Maybe the lady involved was married to a local, or maybe she took her lawyer with her.
What lady? No lady was being discussed as far as I can tell.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:25 am

8.52am January 3rd 2016 post by Newcastle, part of the post reads " I know of a lady who got a 12 month visa without having to go for an interview" That's what I was referring to when I said, maybe she was married to a local.
I really do not have an opinion on the visa situation apart from the fact, it maybe all down to security. It was reported on UK television about the ongoing problems in North Sinai yesterday, and stated that there seems to be a loosing battle going on with insurgents. Not a good thing for would be visitors.
Also the ongoing frustration of not knowing my right hand from my left regarding this, it's very unclear, and seems to be in a state of flux. Now we hear that 12 months visas are available again, even though no one else knows about them, and no one else seems to have been awarded one, apart from this mystery woman.
I would think anyone with a bit of intelligence will be looking to the future and making contingency plans, regarding this and also if they have assets such as property here, making plans to have it managed and looked after, until further information becomes more fluent.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:46 am

Newcastle hit it on the head, no one can really object to rules, as without them we would live in anarchy. Its the implementation and the none existent 'rule to fit all' that gets the blood boiling. When I had my fast tracked interview they had lost my paperwork, but at least carried on with it, taking the copies of my documents. Like Who2, I was told to go to the visa office in ten days, presumably, so I thought, to collect my visa. First of all we go there at 8.50 as the counters open for business at nine. They suddenly decided for reasons only known to them, to open them at 10am. Very cold standing around with a then full bladder with no loo facilities. The guy behind the counter came over to me and stated that there is no sign of my documents, so I should return in another two weeks. A woman who had pushed in front of me to request a visa form asked could she have a year long one, to be told that he would see what could be done. :ni: The signs on the wall clearly state that the one year residents visa is available, the signs on the counter pillars clearly state that there is no smoking allowed, but all male counter staff are puffing away behind the glass. Rules? Who needs them.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:46 am

Maybe some clarification of my earlier post will help.

The lady in question posted on another FB page her particular experience. Towards the end of 2015 she applied for a visa extension and was given the usual waiting stamp. She left Egypt to spend new year with her family in UK and on return to Luxor, via Cairo, bought a $25 visa.

On returning to the office in Luxor she was told her original application was cancelled, and she was then given a 12 month extension.

I have no further information as to her status but my impression (from her FB page) is that she isn't married to an Egyptian - she made no mention of any related facts regarding her application .

Maybe Bombay can expand on what he was told by the assisstant governor , which is at variance with the general experience in Hurghada and Sharm, but which seems in line with the experience of the lady I referred to.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:58 am

The assistant Gov told me that in LUXOR it's now 12 months I did not ask for any other details as it does not affect me.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:04 am

When people go on about rules and regulations, what are the clear rules, they are so hazy, and what applies to one does not apply to another, so you can understand frustration. Even when the Government rules are pasted on the forum, you go into the Luxor Visa Office with them in hand and things have changed or they say they do not know of these, or even when you point to the board they say No! that does not apply. So what are the rules for Luxor and its bubble?

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:52 am

I think they come under the heading : "Unknown unknowns " :lol:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:29 am

Quote: I would think anyone with a bit of intelligence will be looking to the future and making contingency plans, regarding this and also if they have assets such as property here, making plans to have it managed and looked after, until further information becomes more fluent.

Anyone with a bit of intelligence should have done their homework before they ever left Margate, Morecome or Manchester.... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Thank God I do not come from Margate, Manchester or Morcambe, at least the good Doctor has declared that these areas are not wised up like those from other areas. What he fails to mention though is that no one 5 years ago would have predicted the outcome of Luxor, and there is nothing on the internet apart from gossip, to let people know that the "Luxor Bubble" comes under is apart from many other areas, or even that the TARDIS is a separate entity. So doing what is called homework would only work for people wanting to come here now, and not those who came here before the Revolution when things were at their hay day.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Major Thom wrote:Thank God I do not come from Margate, Manchester or Morcambe, at least the good Doctor has declared that these areas are not wised up like those from other areas. What he fails to mention though is that no one 5 years ago would have predicted the outcome of Luxor, and there is nothing on the internet apart from gossip, to let people know that the "Luxor Bubble" comes under is apart from many other areas, or even that the TARDIS is a separate entity. So doing what is called homework would only work for people wanting to come here now, and not those who came here before the Revolution when things were at their hay day.
So, by reading the above I am given to understand that clear and easily available information on the subject of visas, living in luxor, etc, was readily available before the revolution. And here was me, after all these years (from way before the revolution) of reading posts with questions about various visas, thinking it was all a bit hit and miss even then.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:43 pm

We were fortunate, a good friend of ours sent us all the details on visa's etc before we came and explained the situation, he even went with us when we applied for our very first yearly visa in 2009. Following that and like he said he came with us to Egypt Telecom for a phone line, dealt with our mobiles, just wish we had taken notice of the report he gave us of a certain Dutch person. But we knew quite a lot of things before we came. In the Passport Office what it said on the board was what you got. We had been Skyping for a year before we came to get to know most things, but its impossible to know everything until you live here. It's a bit like photo's on social media taken years ago and showing the City at it's peak, tourists seeing these and being attracted by them are being conned, when they get here they will see the real thing, a City devoid of visitors, hotels devoid of guests, and Tour Operators ripping them off. The best thing is to admit, the City is not doing well at the moment, and show up to date pictures, people may then feel sorry and come rather than be told in pictures the City is great and when they get here its empty, business's closed, traffic problems beyond repair, and clusters of half built shells of buildings that have been started and are now blighting the City and surrounds making it look like a building site.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:44 pm

What he seems to be suggesting to me is that there was no way to prepare for what things are like now, because no one could see it coming and therefore they are to be excused for their lack of preparation. But that is exactly what one should prepare for, the plan B if plan A doesn't work out for whatever reason.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Major Thom wrote:The best thing is to admit, the City is not doing well at the moment, and show up to date pictures, people may then feel sorry and come rather than be told in pictures the City is great and when they get here its empty, business's closed, traffic problems beyond repair, and clusters of half built shells of buildings that have been started and are now blighting the City and surrounds making it look like a building site.
:lol:

One of my comments to my travelling companions when I first visited Luxor, as we drove from the airport to the river for our cruise was 'I'm sure it's a lovely place and it will be fantastic when they finish building it'. It was said very much tongue in cheek and was exactly what I said on my first visit (and subsequent visits) to parts of Algeria, Tunisia, and Morocco.

As for seeing pictures of the sites heaving with tourists and then arriving to find the sites empty... many would, and do, see this as pure joy.

Hmm...as for people feeling sorry for the city...I doubt many, if any, people travel to a country because they've heard things aren't going so well at the moment and so they visit because they feel sorry. (Personally, all the posts around the internet expressing things such as 'You must come to Luxor because we have no tourists and we need your support [and money]' just make me cringe and put me off. )
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Well Simon Calder reckons now is the best time to visit Egypt, and I agree with him no ruddy tours or tour guides as one wonders around the tombs & temples and probably most 'travellers would agree.. :cool:
Ps: They should make it clear there is no sea or pyramids around Luxor....or Watneys Red Barrel or fish & chips for that matter.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:49 pm

Who2 wrote:Well Simon Calder reckons now is the best time to visit Egypt, and I agree with him no ruddy tours or tour guides as one wonders around the tombs & temples and probably most 'travellers would agree.. :cool:
Ps: They should make it clear there is no sea or pyramids around Luxor....or Watneys Red Barrel or fish & chips for that matter.
You missed out the all important swimming with dolphins! ;)
-Aldous Huxley

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:05 pm

newcastle wrote:
Anyone from outside the EU would undoubtedly find the visa requirements in UK restrictive....probably more so than UK citizens coming to Egypt.

HOWEVER, what they would also find is that the requirements are clearly set out and are applied uniformly to people whose circumstances are identical.

And that there are clear procedures to follow for anyone who is dissatisfied with the ruling in their particular case .
Not strictly true Newcastle. Yes they are all labelled quite clearly in theory, but when you go to Cairo, having taken everything that is required, the nice chaps in the visa office tell you that they don't want half of the stuff you took as its not necessary. Now I told Omar to insist they took the lot whether they wanted them or not. Another Egyptian from Luxor took their advice. His visa was then returned to him stating information and documents were missing. Not refused, but pending so he had to get all that information back to Cairo to carry on with the application. Having an Egyptian office deal with UK visa paperwork does not inspire confidence. They in turn send it to Abu Dhabi for processing so there can be no risk of favouritism or help.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:29 pm

I was thinking more in terms of applicants dealing direct with the UK authorities. ..having got in via a holiday or student application and wishing to stay on ( a mirror image of the situation faced by ex-pats here)

I daresay the procedure ( for getting to UK) at some overseas embassies can be problematic and I have heard that Cairo can be singularly unhelpful......to put it mildly :lol:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:54 am

Bombay wrote:The assistant Gov told me that in LUXOR it's now 12 months I did not ask for any other details as it does not affect me.
That was very selfish of you, if you had it could of stayed off several 'coming soon' heart attacks. Bad Bombay Boy.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.