Oh what a night

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Oh what a night

Post by Major Thom »

Could not believe how quiet Luxor was last night, a few of us sat around freezing cold in a coffee shop while a group of locals grabbed the fire pit to keep warm, what ever happened to customer comes first? Then we were disturbed by some Dutch People shouting Mother F-----s at the top of their head, totally p----d out of their minds lovely!!!

Anyhow, apart from these incidents every where was quiet in fact you could hear a pin drop on the West Bank, we are not used to the East Bank being so quiet either normally its the wedding fireworks, music and noises from the East Bank that keep us awake at night, but last night deadly silence. We started off having a meal, the same place has we did last year except this year the place had maybe only 10 to 20 people in, no entertainment was on offer like last year. We had thought about turning in early and getting an early night, but we stuck it out, you never know what may happen, but it just did not.

Because we do not go out much at all now, it was noticeable just how things have changed for the worse, when you do go out, I think you have to take some time out and then go back after a while to realise the changes. I can appreciate that there are no tourists, I can appreciate there is no money, but find it hard to believe that for one night of the year an effort cannot be made. We even noticed about 5 or 6 tourists leaving what was supposed to have been a party, all had long face and looked bored stiff, has they boarded themselves up against the cold. The people we were with were just pleased to get the night over and go to bed.

I know this is an invitation for my kickers, but I don't mind go ahead, I find you has boring as last night was.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Oh what a night

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Guess I'm missing something here:
a few of us sat around freezing cold in a coffee shop while a group of locals grabbed the fire pit to keep warm, what ever happened to customer comes first?
Were you expecting the locals to DO something for you?
I can appreciate there is no money, but find it hard to believe that for one night of the year an effort cannot be made.
Who did you want to make an effort and to do what?
I know this is an invitation for my kickers, but I don't mind go ahead, I find you has boring as last night was.
Who are you referring to and do you have an expectation that somebody is to do something so you're not bored?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Major Thom wrote:
-`
Could not believe how quiet Luxor was last night, a few of us sat around freezing cold in a coffee shop while a group of locals grabbed the fire pit to keep warm, what ever happened to customer comes first?
Did it ever occur to you even for one moment that the locals are CUSTOMERS too? And that perhaps they patronize this cafe and use this fire pit every night, not just the one day of the year you decided to venture out? And although it falls on Friday this year New Year's is not a holiday in Egypt so normally people have to get up and go to work the next day, and the Copts go to church anyway so a large portion of the population is not going to be hanging out in cafes New Year's Eve or even opening their businesses.

It's quite odd how many expats seem clueless about the holidays here. I couldn't believe how many who are Muslim converts were posting Christmas greetings and pictures of the themselves celebrating Christmas but not a word from any of them about Moulid al-Nabi, which came two days before Christmas last year. It's not a major holiday, but if you are going to post about the former then for sure you would post about the latter, don't you think, especially when they are 2 days apart?

It's like you all float around in a hermetically sealed bubble you brought with you from England.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Congratulations to MT for the first whinge of 2016 on this forum.

And a consolation prize to GD for an early enslaught on English ex-pats.

Plus ca change...

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

"Anyhow, apart from these incidents every where was quiet in fact you could hear a pin drop on the West Bank"

I dont think we can have been on the same West Bank. We had a great party - about 80% Egyptians, and 20% tourists and expats, and there were several other parties in the same area.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

I spent NYE up at the Rest. Much quieter than usual and, no entertainment. This may have been due to it being less than a year after the death of Mohamed's father, Mahmoud.

I like it quiet and prefer the company of Egyptians when in Egypt, so it suited me fine. It was warm enough to sit in the garden with only a thin pullover on all evening (apart from my normal daytime clothes before someone accuses me of being underdressed). No braziers there. No shisha. Enough space to keep away from the smokers. Food, drink, conversation. Good view. Suits me. My days of partying are long past. :st :st :st

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

What type of music was it Hatusu? Sounds great to me. Too much of one thing gets boring. Has anyone been to a Jolie Ville New Years Eve? that's what letting your hair down is all about.

Regarding the locals being customers, they were not customers, just people that slipped in for a warm, in one hour they ordered nothing. Mind you on saying that there is no such thing as Customer Care.

No one seems to mention the 2 Dutch people shouting and calling everyone a mother F----r, so it seems like this type of behavior is common practice, that being the case I am pleased we do not go out in the evenings anymore, so you can all swear and blind at each other. Don't tell me you do not because that is the only thing you failed to pick up on in the original post. It stands out a mile!!!

Hafla's going on until early hours of the morning normally does not stop people going to whatever, or if they have got work in the morning, so a party until midnight would surely be an early night to most.

I posted new year greetings and Christmas Greeting on the forum aimed at those that celebrate these two events, and see nothing wrong in that, so I have to presume you mean these stupid Facebook Posts, good job I do not see them they would make my blood boil, cats and dogs are enough for me or even old pictures of Luxor that did not tell the true story of the blight in tourism.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

For 'security ? some bright spark decided to close off the Corniche, not the bit that 'some bright spark decided to close years ago but the whole of it to Karnack, just following the lines of traffic in both directions for over half an hour on unmade roads all around the houses, that's the Coptic Houses.
Buses, taxi's, motorbikes and not a policeman in site except at all the blocked off roads.
Traffic jams coming from all directions. So I understand why Luxor was quite, because every car was locked up in a senseless and totally useless traffic jam.
I don't usually let off steam but last night was the 'high-end of stupidity in anyones book.
And I thought I had become immune some of the inane ideas that sprout-up here.
Munich syndrome methinks.... :cool:
Ps: Other than that I had a whale of a time..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

From reading the OP it could look as though it was a case of (adapting an old expression) 'I took my pipes to a party and nobody asked me to play'. Having done your recent (routine ?) maintenance on your pipes, did you not get to pipe in the New Year this year. Perhaps you saved that treat as an early wake up call for your neighbours who were sleeping off their New Year Eve festivities. ;)

So Major Thom, how could your New Year Eve have been improved? What would be your perfect way to see the New Year in?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Major Thom wrote:could not believe how quiet Luxor was last night, a few of us sat around freezing cold in a coffee shop while a group of locals grabbed the fire pit to keep warm, what ever happened to customer comes first?
Major Thom wrote: Has anyone been to a Jolie Ville New Years Eve? that's what letting your hair down is all about.
So, after visiting and living in Luxor for so many years, you knew where the party was, but chose to sit at a coffee shop New Year's Eve.

Wishing you better luck this year.
:d1:

Happy New Year

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:What type of music was it Hatusu? Sounds great to me. Too much of one thing gets boring. Has anyone been to a Jolie Ville New Years Eve? that's what letting your hair down is all about.

Regarding the locals being customers, they were not customers, just people that slipped in for a warm, in one hour they ordered nothing. Mind you on saying that there is no such thing as Customer Care.

No one seems to mention the 2 Dutch people shouting and calling everyone a mother F----r, so it seems like this type of behavior is common practice, that being the case I am pleased we do not go out in the evenings anymore, so you can all swear and blind at each other. Don't tell me you do not because that is the only thing you failed to pick up on in the original post. It stands out a mile!!!

Hafla's going on until early hours of the morning normally does not stop people going to whatever, or if they have got work in the morning, so a party until midnight would surely be an early night to most.

I posted new year greetings and Christmas Greeting on the forum aimed at those that celebrate these two events, and see nothing wrong in that, so I have to presume you mean these stupid Facebook Posts, good job I do not see them they would make my blood boil, cats and dogs are enough for me or even old pictures of Luxor that did not tell the true story of the blight in tourism.
I somehow missed reading this post when I made my last comment.
Major Thom wrote:... so you can all swear and blind at each other. Don't tell me you do not because that is the only thing you failed to pick up on in the original post. It stands out a mile!!!
What a ridiculous comment! I think you need to readjust your measuring tool for people assessment. Your mileage one is not working well.
Major Thom wrote:'... so I have to presume you mean these stupid Facebook Posts, good job I do not see them they would make my blood boil, ...'
Me thinks you doth protest too much - again! If you haven't used Facebook for as long as you claim then how do you know what are, and are not, 'these stupid Facebook Posts' these days?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

What I intended doing on NYE I cancelled there were only 2 people involved, and after putting things in prospective and a 40 a day habit found I did not have the lung power required. That is why today you will no doubt have gathered what my NY resolution is. I also have a second NYR which will start at 2400 hours tonight, I needed a bit of a countdown for this resolution though.
Last edited by Major Thom on Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Major Thom wrote: a 40 a day habit found I did not have the lung power required. That is why today you will no doubt have gathered what my NY resolution is.
:up Good Luck with it! :up

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I have done it before B and stopped for 26 years, only really started again when I moved to Luxor, first shisha and then the preparation of shisha got too much that I found it easier to put my hand in my pocket and pull out a ciggie, today substituted by fruit it has been quite easy really.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

:up Reach for the bagpipe instead of the shisha and enjoy the progress.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Best of luck giving up the ciggies. Let us know how you progress

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Three local lads celebrating the coming even summed it up as they noticed me in my taxi, shouting ''Happy New Sad Year friend.''

You must be like GD MT, she can can tell a Europeans nationality from just looking at them, so how do you do it, knowing they were Dutch types just by looking?

It took me 35 minute to get from Karnak to Arkwright's on my way out that night. Slightly quicker on my way back.

Still, glad to see that 2015 is at an end, although it wasn't too bad a year for me personally, start afresh and wait for what new will come my way. Although I doubt very much that the forums posts will alter from the bemusing to the abusing.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Quitting,

Day 1 Good day, plenty of fruit, not pulverised in the juicer, but whole to save sugar content, not one cough. Got the practice chanter out and started learning the Star Wars Theme, and Thunderstuck, Yes Thunderstruck!!!

Day 2 good night, again not one cough, starting to feel better.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MT - it all takes time to clear out of the system. Hang in and in the long run you'll feel lots better :)

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I don't remember 26 years ago but this morning got up with a runny nose that i have just manged to clear, but my soar throat has gone thank goodness, and on waking my mouth and throat were not dry like per normal. Definitely feeling more energetic though.