Foxes

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Foxes

Post by Major Thom »

Was woken this morning when the alarms triggered, to my surprise when I got outside there were three foxes happily playing around, a mother and two cubs. They are the first foxes I have seen since leaving the UK.
Recently though the Desert Dogs have been coming to the village, one lady had three lambs ripped apart during the evening yesterday, and we often hear them howling during the night. I wonder if food is getting scarce during this cold snap, making them wonder into the villages in search of something to eat. If they are they must think people have left a feast for them with all the dead animals laid to rest in bins and thrown on waste ground.
Some of these dogs howl like wolves!

Anyway back to bed now its just turned 4 am, and will be up again at 5 am to begin another day. Hopefully not so cloudy today.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Foxes

Post by newcastle »

Dogs, domestic or feral, are basically wolves and, particularly the feral ones, soon revert to type........hunting in packs amd howling!

Foxes are fairly common around Hurghada and I've seen a few around Luxor.

Foxes adapt quickly to living near humans, finding a ready source of food.

It doesn't seem to be an Egyptian custom to bury dead animals . Dead cats and dogs are everywhere. I remember horse riding around the pyramids a few years ago and coming upon the stinking corpse of a horse .
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

I was on the roof at Panorama yesterday. I spotted a fox in the distance. It then came down, through the Tuthmosis III temple, crossed the road towards the cultivation and nosed round a couple of houses before being chased off by a black dog. Mohamed tells me that the fox comes every day.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

newcastle wrote: It doesn't seem to be an Egyptian custom to bury dead animals .
There is a German woman married to an Egyptian in one of the villages on the West Bank who recently held a funeral for a dead rabbit. Someone made a video of the funeral and it has gone viral even in the neighboring villages and the locals are getting a good laugh about it sharing it on their phones.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

That is truly appalling!

Is nothing sacred? Videoing a funeral???

I'm shocked :snig:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

There was a bizarre post on a Hurghada forum a while back of a lady seeking a suitable "partner " for her dog who needed to get "married ".

The consensus of the comments on the thread was that she needed to "get a life".
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

I have seen a few foxes in Egypt.

Here in the city of Copenhagen, they are all over the place. We are known :angel: to always wait for green light before crossing the street, even in the middle of night when there is zero traffic and no children to influence.

One morning at two o'clock :wi , two foxes and I were the only three pedestrians at an otherwise busy junction in my old neighbourhood. Though there were no cars, bicycles or police in sight and I of course crossed the street, walahi, they were urbanised enough to wait for green light before going home to the park.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Therein, Bennu, is the explanation why we rule the world and are now the most populous mammal on the planet.

We have the ability to think, predict and act beyond basic instincts and programming.

Usually......
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

12396...... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

There used to be a lovely fox meandering round the winter palace gardens at night. Used to wait by the pool for any left over food to be put out for him, and then after dinner would take a stroll round the grounds. He was a big healthy looking lad, and not that wary of the people around him
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:Therein, Bennu, is the explanation why we rule the world and are now the most populous mammal on the planet.

We have the ability to think, predict and act beyond basic instincts and programming.

Usually......
It may well also become part of our downfall.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Brian Yare wrote:I was on the roof at Panorama yesterday. I spotted a fox in the distance. It then came down, through the Tuthmosis III temple, crossed the road towards the cultivation and nosed round a couple of houses before being chased off by a black dog. Mohamed tells me that the fox comes every day.

Here he is.