Have things really changed?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Have things really changed?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Prompted by a comment on another thread, I am raising these questions here as a separate thread.

- Have things in Egypt really changed since you did your original planning to move to Egypt/Luxor? (I don't mean in regard to the obvious things like the 2011 Revolution, Presidential changes, and ongoing scenarios obviously related to that, but more in terms of the background research, access to information, paper filling etc.)

- What preparation to move to Egypt did you do?

- If you think they have changed, in what way is this?

- Are your own expectations about what should be the case overruling the reality and thus making you uncomfortable with situations?

- What practical advice would you give someone considering moving to Egypt to live in 2016?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Have things really changed?

Post by carrie »

Been on holiday loads of times, fell in love with the place and thought I would love to live here. When the opportunity arose to do so I realized that I had been wrapped in cotton wool on my previous visits. Stayed in hotels with swimming pools, room service on tap real life was bound to be different.
So I came for 10 weeks July August and part of September, if I could hack it during the hottest months then I thought I could cope.
During those 10 weeks I thought very carefully about what to do. Fortunately I had met some very nice Europeans who had lived here for some time, they advised me what to do and not to do. Things were very different then, not so much traffic, one supermarket, one restaurant.
I went home and announced that I was going to come and live here, arranged with my family regarding my home, went to see the National Insurance place, not yet entitled to my pension but wanted to know how I stood. Stamps up to date pension would be paid at the appropriate time. My company pension was already being paid due to early retirement. Health insurance was out of the question would I have enough money if something happened to me? Lots and lots of questions
Whilst here I had to go and get an extension on my visa, asked about renewal and they said no problem, which it never has been up till now. Looked at property to buy, land to build on, decided that it wasn't for me. I would rent then I could move easily if I needed to, my children wouldn't want to stay here so what would happen to my things if I did buy.
I took a short course at my local night school in Arabic, then I had a smattering of the language went to the library and read everything I could about Egypt, not the Pharonic bit but about the history, the Kings, the Presidents, and Islam.
Then packed my bags and off I went.
The mistakes I made were legion, couldn't stand the thought of living in a flat without loads of windows, what a mistake I fried. Couldn't get used to NOT saying hello to everyone who said hello to me, seemed so rude.
I decided early on that the best thing I could do was watch, I would learn more from watching how everyone behaved then anything anyone told me. Follow the Egyptian women's example. I would never be an Egyptian woman, could never pass as one, could never understand fully the culture but I could keep quiet, listen, watch and learn and I am still doing so to this day.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

With regards to information, people who moved here since 2000 have had it infinitely easier. Many of my friends had lived/spent time here before I came so I did have some idea, but when I first came here the only way you could connect with the outside world was to write a letter and send it by the post office and hope it got there in 13 days or make a very expensive international call in a booth in a noisy telephone central. If you wanted to talk to someone locally, you generally went to see them and hoped to find them as if they actually had a phone, it was a landline, and there were no mobiles whatsoever. No computers either. News was the garbage in the Egyptian Gazette or Ahram Weekly or Cairo Today magazine, which came out once a month. There was the Luxor International Women's Club, which announced its monthly meetings in Cairo Today and which were attended by usually about half a dozen. Not an ATM machine to be found anywhere until the late 90s.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote: There was the Luxor International Women's Club,
Does this still exist or is it too relegated to history?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

You could also use the Menetal Phones in the street and have every Egyptian in sight come and listen to your conversation and asking if they could have the card when you had finished with it.
Happy days.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I came before Menatel. There was only one phone company for the entire country and it belonged to the government.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote: There was the Luxor International Women's Club,
Does this still exist or is it too relegated to history?
It was long ago relegated to history I am sure. People these days don't even need to get dressed or leave their bedrooms to socialize these days so who would bother with it?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

You can't really disregard the revs 1 and 2 as these events brought with them great changes. But on the whole little or nothing has changed for me to say that I would of taken a different path with the exception of not buying. The only disappointment I have is the way we are getting treated over the visa, being herded around like cattle. I would never encourage anyone to buy anything here, but come and rent/holiday by all means. If carrie, I had taken the time to sit and watch how others behaved then it is possible that this place would not have been my final destination. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Supermarkets, tuk-tuks a bonus less or 'zilch 'kiss me-quick hatted tourists asking where the beach and pyramids are,
so all in all the place for me has improved 100% since I first came and of course the internet is vastly improved.
El Heffe President Sisi will at sometime get his flock sorted perhaps, and the sun shines so I see no problems, things have changed enormously since my first visit 30 years ago.
Business is booming you just don't observe enough and all they have to do is wipe-out all the 'beard weirdy's go back to the human voice on the mosques and all will be great in my immediate environment.
Anyhow I'm off back to Blighty to load up on prescription drugs eat some decent food and spend vast amounts of money.
Life couldn't get much better honestly speaking... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Ps: The main change I observe is the speed of life.
Ever since the demise of the donkey and the importation of cheap motorcycles life has speeded up they rush everywhere for no apparent reason except that they can,
but who I am I to moan ? ....."Not I, said the Eskimo.
If they wish to improve the quality of their lives and it will take years for them to realise that organic is better.
Hey! if I'm wrong why are you lot paying double for wholemeal bread & brown eggs.
So, stop moaning about this and that and uselessly thinking you are trying to improve their lives you are,
but their lives and lifestyle is a few thousand years older than yours.
Try adapting to thiers, So "When in Rome!... :cool:

Ps: Rocket science it ain't it's called 'having the 'common-touch a bit of cabbages & kings....
"I also don't mean your feel-good by giving an extra 5p to a poor person, 'f**ing cheapskates.
If you really cared give them a £100 quid...'that might just change their lives...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.