Question?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Question?

Post by newcastle » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:58 am

I've now lost count of the contradictions in your posts.

No doubt you'll be more content when you've found, and relocated to, wherever you think will provide a better experience.

Happy hunting.....and good luck :wi

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:01 am

I was sat out on the balcony this morning at 6am. Looking out towards the Nile, which I can not see directly from my vantage point, noting that the only sound was the birds flying and fluttering about, a cat fight in the distance suddenly disturbing this, then a dog barking, again in the distance. These creatures have probably never noted change, lack of infrastructure, drop in tourist numbers, revolutions or anything else negative us humans seem to dwell on. I'm invisible to the outside world, yet I'm in plain sight. Why? Because I show very little or no interest in what is going on around me in this topsy turvy country. I could stand up and shout as loud as I could manage, but no one would listen to my complaints because those complaints are the belongings of the Egyptian people, not us foreigners to continually harp on about. We are unable to move a small pile of dirt, let alone a mountain of problems.

The problems that the Egyptian population struggle to live with on a day to day basis, will, hopefully, eventually get better. Probably not in most of our lifetimes, but it will happen. As foreigners, living here on our temporary existence visa year to year, are we affected in any way with the lack of services, infrastructure or anything else that you could attach to the Egyptian persons life in general? The answer has to be no, we have the luxury of being able to stand back and just wonder ''how do they manage to do it day after day''? And some of the foreigners living here seen to struggle with the basic meaning of 'having to put up with it.' They manage because its the way of things and for the greater number of them, the same for past decades.

The best thing a foreigner can do that has the honer of living in such a wonderful country, and I use that term as a foreigner, should just live their affluent style lives and think but not speak about what should be done. At the end of the day, it does not help matters, nor our permission to live here. IMHO.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:19 am

Do we live here "D" or are we tourists, non of us know. I do know of 3 couples that have just ended a 6 month stay here and have decided not to return next Winter. 1 couple is upset and thinks we are no longer welcome in Egypt at all, I listened to why the wife felt that way, and since that have heard the same story from two other people, (The old Visa humbug) Another couple feel the tension level is riding, and the final pair say that they felt they were being spied upon everywhere they went. I will never know these answers because I am not at all interested, my only interest is the wellbeing of my wife and self. Our Luxor experience has been great, and by that I mean the things we have done and seen, and again I would not have missed it at all, the good and the bad. But I will say this again I do not think this is a place to live by yourself with no family, and no welfare facilities. If you are local you have family to help you in your twilight years, if you are here by yourself you will have no one, u less of course you pay.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:59 pm

A Question ?......
Quote: "Does anyone ever think of their future, we are all getting older by the day ?

Firstly this is not a new phenomena, getting older.
One should have looked at all the variables before relocating to luxor,
"be prepared, and old adage drilled into me by our Scoutmaster who incidentally ended up in prison for fraud,
We never told anyone and continued to run our scout troupe the 7th Westbridge, for a few years, awarding ourselves badges for spitting, knife throwing and raiding other scout HQ's.

The turn of events in Egypt is a minor part of this most ancient of countries lengthy history, live with it and love it.
"You are after all, standing on the threshold of history.
Australia ? Why bother just sort out your own minor problems look for future problems on the horizon, and "Be Prepared !
Life is all about solving problems.

Take her 'next door for instance, Aida I've been 'grooming her for years to become my carer when the rot sets in.
Iv'e been doing the same with my transilvanian bas**rd back here, explaing things like her having to wipe my arse when I'm 80
Or even carry me down the pub.
We've even checked out how much she could earn whilst continuing her architectural practice.

Daft I'm not, although I failed my 11 plus exams, I wasn't going to play their games ever.

So chin-up, get a water tank on your roof, a solar powered pump, and go back on the booze and ciggies and just chill out.

Why ? because as a pyramid gets tighter at its apex so does the speed of ones' life, you'll be dead before you know it... 8)

Ps: I forgot to say I'm a Dr of Psychology and not to be confused with Psychiatry. 'peace & love!

Pss: Doctor's advice! Tune into http://www.camglenradio.org right now and I'll get the DJ to play you a happy tune..'no charge..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:49 pm

I think MT has the evil eye, because lo and behold, I got to witness the work of the fire department today. Some neighbors down the street have several extremely tall trees in front of their house and a week or two ago they trimmed the branches and leaves off the tree and left them sitting in a giant pile in front of their house. I'm not sure how, but the branches caught fire this afternoon and it was quite a large menacing looking fire that if it spread could have caused quite a disaster. The people put out the fire with their hoses before the fire truck arrive, but it did arrive maybe 15-20 minutes after the fire started. I do not know when they were called though but it is likely they left the station as soon as they got the call knowing the distance and condition of the route they took. They were using their sirens as they came. I couldn't actually see the firemen well from our location but they did make sure the fire was out by hosing things for a further 10-15 minutes including up the tree just to make sure nothing would reignite.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:05 am

What gets my goat - you've noticed :lol: - is that some people come to Egypt and expect the conditions, services etc. to be on a par with wherever they originated.

You could forgive the tourist who hasn't been here before and had done no research. But for regular visitors, and those who've lived here for years, it beggars belief that they still bang on and on about what they perceive as shortcomings.

Hurghada suffers from more than its fair share of potholes, road obstacles caused by all the construction going on etc. They get dealt with.....eventually.

I live in a nice upmarket area where the residents campaigned, and finally got, skips for rubbish. It doesn't stop people chucking their garbage all round the skip, rather than in it. A call to HEPCA results in a team appearing to clear up.....eventually.

We get power cuts, not as bad as last year ( I already regret saying that) but have learned to expect them as part of life. The power will return.....eventually.

I don't expect Egypt to change for MY benefit and comfort. And I'm damn sure they don't want lectures from me on what I think is wrong and how it should be corrected.

Living in Egypt is not like living in Milton Keynes. I don't expect it to be and the compensations of spending my twilight years here FAR outweigh the irritations......for me.

If they didn't, I wouldn't be here.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:54 am

So are things going to get better or not, will things improve or not, I think these are the the things people are mainly concerned about. I don't think many people are interested in the big projects planned, they are more interested in improving their lves and the lives of their families. I may be wrong though. I saw there were demonstrations in Cairo about the islands being given to Saudi for their control, are they inhabited by Egyptian people? How often do Egyptian people visit them? Did many people know about these islands before it was made public? I appreciate people may be concerned about giving land up, but if it is sparse or uninhabited does it really matter?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:02 am

If you bothered to read anything, look up anything, or even watch anything, you wouldn't need to have made that post.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:43 am

Think I've now read this whole thread through, although I did need to have a couple of naps as I did so. :zz

The initial post brought back memories of the UM ambulance service. Not so many years ago (in real terms) the men in the white vans did little more than 'scoop up and remove' the victim. Things have come a long way in more recent years when they truly have become very skilled in various levels of first response medical aid. This took time, investment, and a different understanding and approach in understanding and accepting the needs and ability of first response. It didn't happen overnight.

It is too easy to expect what you have become used to to be the accepted normality elsewhere. I dare say.visitors to the UK may find us still living in the past by their own observations and comparisions.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:53 am

Uninhabited by people yes, but the marine life in the reefs is supposedly incredible. 40% of divers who visit Sharm go to those two islands and they were considered one of the main attractions. Now they are off limits.

Not to mention there may now be offshore oil drilling, which I can tell you when it came to California there was a huge outcry about its impact on beach tourism. Just from a visual perspective an oil rig offshore can ruin the view, not to mention the risks of oil spills. Saudi would not be interested in the islands if they were just piles of rock.

Imagine if we handed over the pyramids to the Israelis and they wouldn't let anyone visit them anymore. What would the impact of that be?