The Japs are coming!

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

The Japs are coming!

Post by newcastle » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Aaaah so!!

Direct Flights Between Luxor and Japan Resume After Five Years

Following a five-year halt of direct flights between Egyptian tourist hot-spot Luxor and Japan, direct flights are now recommencing with the first batch of Japanese tourists landing in Luxor on Saturday evening, the Cairo Post reports.

The 230 tourists, who took off from Japan’s Kansai Airport located near Osaka, are scheduled to visit Luxor’s archaeological sites and other locations of interest for foreigners during their three-day visit.

Luxor airport will receive weekly flights from Japan during one month, with that number doubling in October to two flights a week, according to the head of public relations at Luxor Airport Bekhit Khairi.

Direct flights between Japan and Egypt were halted following the 2011 uprising that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak and caused widespread instability in the country.

http://egyptianstreets.com/2016/04/24/d ... ive-years/

Every little helps.......and, let's face it, the Japanese are generally pretty small :lol:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: The Japs are coming!

Post by Major Thom » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:18 am

3 days? That's not a long holiday, and not long enough to see all the Historic Sites. Are these tourists a forward party to check things out, or are they apart of a multi point visit?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:35 am

Perhaps it is a trial run.

The Japanese are known for certain characteristics and Luxor might turn out to be a baptism of fire!

Cleanliness:

Japanese cities tend to be very clean. It’s rare to see trash lying around.

The air quality also tends to be great. No holding your nose up when you exit a building (how's the horse manure in Luxor these days).

Strangely enough there are also very few public trash cans (They'l feel at home then! :lol: ). Consider this when you buy a coffee from a vending machine: it might be a while until you can dispose of the empty can. Look for can bins next to vending machines itself, or ask a convenience store or restaurant to put your trash in their “gomi bakku” (trashcan).

Politeness:

The Japanese tend to be very polite - service is their highest order. When you enter a store you will be bombarded with welcomes (Irasshaimase!); when you buy something in a shop there’s a flurry of pleases and thank you's (Again....they'll feel they're on familiar territory...until they try and leave without buying something :xx )

http://jpgui.de/culture/

They don't like "hassle".....but will presumably be chaperoned closely.

And don't get me started on their propensity to photograph anything and everything (Let's hope the police et al make allowances :stp ).

Could be velly intelesting :bs:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:01 am

Japanese do not tend to get long holidays, thus do take long distance short breaks. They also tend to take package tours, although that is changing and many are becoming more independent and adventurous in their travels.

I noticed the other day the announcement that direct flights between Japan and Luxor had started. I thought it interesting because, on official warnings that go to Japanese people living in the UK, Egypt is often stated as being an unsafe place to visit, and that has been the situation since well before 2011. My boss, a Japanese gentleman, blanches every time I mention I'm going to Egypt and warns me of the dangers.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:41 am

I see the opportunity for a good new business venture here, open a shop selling high quality disposable surgical masks. Perhaps anyone interested could try a pretty please on ST bringing over a suitcase full courtesy of the NHS. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:50 am

Dusak wrote:I see the opportunity for a good new business venture here, open a shop selling high quality disposable surgical masks. Perhaps anyone interested could try a pretty please on ST bringing over a suitcase full courtesy of the NHS. :lol:
Ohh... Now there's and idea. No need to defraud the ailing NHS. I could pack a case full of authentic Japanese ones, and a load of the heat/cold packs that are used for pain relief. Perhaps I could make myself some spending money this way the next time I'm in Luxor.
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:56 pm

I must admit the Japanese must have some guts spending 2 days in the air for a three day break. I remember going to Prague on a stag night (never again) and that was 2 hours flying each way, by the time the three days were over and my wallet empty it didn't half seem a long way for a short time.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Major Thom wrote:I must admit the Japanese must have some guts spending 2 days in the air for a three day break. I remember going to Prague on a stag night (never again) and that was 2 hours flying each way, by the time the three days were over and my wallet empty it didn't half seem a long way for a short time.
I would imagine that they are also fitting in a visit to Cairo or the Red Sea. I doubt it will be just a 3 day stop over in total. As I say, a package tour.

I have visitors that fly from Japan to the UK and am always amazed at how much they can fit in during a 5-7 day break, although they come as independent travellers.
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Must be hectic Hepzi.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Newcastle and Hepzipah are not inaccurate in their racial profiling of the Japanese. We have 20 years experience of them. What they fail to mention is that the Japanese, unlike the English, are big spenders albeit highly organized, obsessed with quality and very polite (as mentioned). A small number can have a big financial effect.

Given local filth and chaos I can't see much future in the Japanese trade although their backpacking grandchildren might be a market if you can offer them danger and exotica.

Given Luxor's current touristic problems filth/danger/exotica/rock bottom prices could be opportunities for low rent/low expectation backpacking tourism. Cheap alcohol and recreational drugs won't be a drawback.
Last edited by Hafiz on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:09 pm

Hafiz wrote:We have 20 years experience of them.
I can beat that by at least 5 years! I'm sure our experiences will be different though.

Hafiz wrote:What they fail to mention is that the Japanese, unlike the English, are big spenders albeit highly organized. A small number can have a big financial effect.
What you say is correct, but only to a point. The Japanese economy has not been good for many years, even though it does not always look that way. Their travel destinations will also be based very much on how far their yen will go vs any other currency. They are also very good at being herded when in a group, not daring to stray (un-like us pesky Brits) so will only be led to specific places (as per the tour guides instructions) for their souvenirs. They can spend big, generally like named products e.g with clothing and accessories Burburry, Kath Kidston etc. can even be very generous, but also know well the value of the yen vs the dollar and other currencies.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:17 pm

I think maybe there's a "Harrods" in Luxor (there certainly is in Hurghada)......and, if the Japs maintain their interest, I expect we'll see "Burberry". "Yves St Laurent" and a few other designer shops sprouting :)))

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Hepzibah all that you say is true, although we are dealing in cheap racial stereotypes, but my point is that the Japanese are fastidious and big spenders and (and this is a point of others) the filth of Luxor would be a big negative.

Does my memory serve me and were there Japanese killed at Haptseut (sic) terrorist killing.

Luxor should aim for undiscriminating backpackers whose personal hygiene and general morals match that of the city.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Hafiz wrote:Hepzibah all that you say is true, although we are dealing in cheap racial stereotypes, but my point is that the Japanese are fastidious and big spenders and (and this is a point of others) the filth of Luxor would be a big negative.

Does my memory serve me and were there Japanese killed at Haptseut (sic) terrorist killing.

Luxor should aim for undiscriminating backpackers whose personal hygiene and general morals match that of the city.

How very dare you! :lol:

I'll have you know backpackers have perfectly acceptable morals and do their best to maintain personal hygiene in the most trying of circumstances!

Just a bit short of the :mo
Spoiler
Show
Then again....Australians can be a bit 'rough' :lol:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:32 pm

Hafiz wrote:Hepzibah all that you say is true, although we are dealing in cheap racial stereotypes, but my point is that the Japanese are fastidious and big spenders and (and this is a point of others) the filth of Luxor would be a big negative.

Oh, if only mine were fastidious! I've seen standards drop over the years, although there are still some traits that remain.

Being more serious, I do understand what you are saying, but how much of Luxor do package tourists really see. They arrive at a clean airport, are rushed through to their coach, get off at a relatively sterile hotel, back out to the coach, whistle stop tour of the sites, back to hotel a few times in between and then back to airport. They are probably spending their Japanese agents a small fortune for the trip but are unlikely to spend much locally.
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:03 am

newcastle wrote:
Hafiz wrote: Luxor should aim for undiscriminating backpackers whose personal hygiene and general morals match that of the city.
backpackers have perfectly acceptable morals and do their best to maintain personal hygiene in the most trying of circumstances!
So their personal hygiene and general moral do match that of the city!
newcastle wrote: Just a bit short of the :mo
I backpacked for one month in Egypt - did not want it any other way. I did spend good money and had more to spend. Beside gold, one of the things that I bought before leaving Luxor was a ticket back the following month. It took me some years of living here to realise that I did not have to live like a backpacker, that was just a habit. Since then, I have travelled in style, but mainly airlines and hotels have gotten more out of me.
HEPZIBAH wrote: how much of Luxor do package tourists really see. They arrive at a clean airport, are rushed through to their coach, get off at a relatively sterile hotel, back out to the coach, whistle stop tour of the sites, back to hotel a few times in between and then back to airport. They are probably spending their Japanese agents a small fortune for the trip but are unlikely to spend much locally.
Unlike the backpacker who sees where their money goes.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:53 am

I wonder who first said on here years ago now, that Luxor, like it or not, would become a three day event. No longer would tourist be encouraged to stay there for a week or more. :wi .

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:44 am

Who was it?

I can't imagine. Probably someone who fancies themselves as some kind of know-it-all forecaster of the future who simply cannot resist reminding us, interminably, of the occasions when their guess manifests itself......in this instance, in an article relating to one group of tourists coming to Luxor for the first time .

Perhaps they keep a record - dates , times. etc. - of every post they ever made on L4U. A pastime not unlike trainspotting. :urm:

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:02 am

Got up extra early this morning to get my 'like' in, but failed, the resident fly got there first. :wi .

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:52 am

Early to bed, early to rise.......then you'll always beat the flies :wi