The Japs are coming!

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: The Japs are coming!

Post by newcastle »

A propos old posts, I was, for my amusement :urm: browsing old topics this morning
Spoiler
Show
memo to self....get a life!
Interesting to see that the occasional bish-bash was alive in those dim and distant days post the 2011 revolution and to peruse the sword play between members, some still around, some lurking under rocks and some, sadly, no longer with us

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27492&hilit=How+safe+is+Luxor

Plus ca change...

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Hells bells! That topic went on for sixteen pages! :a23:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

You give away your age by your subject line and how you started that post. Anyone under 80 just cringes at someone who talks like that because it is just not appropriate.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Dusak wrote:I see the opportunity for a good new business venture here, open a shop selling high quality disposable surgical masks. Perhaps anyone interested could try a pretty please on ST bringing over a suitcase full courtesy of the NHS. :lol:
I once asked a Japanese colleague who worked in the tourism industry here for 10 years and he told me it is the Koreans who wear the masks, not Japanese.

But of course you probably don't know the difference between Japanese and Koreans or even Chinese.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Dusak wrote:I see the opportunity for a good new business venture here, open a shop selling high quality disposable surgical masks. Perhaps anyone interested could try a pretty please on ST bringing over a suitcase full courtesy of the NHS. :lol:
I once asked a Japanese colleague who worked in the tourism industry here for 10 years and he told me it is the Koreans who wear the masks, not Japanese.

But of course you probably don't know the difference between Japanese and Koreans or even Chinese.
I'm afraid your colleague was wrong. I can assure you that Japanese people do wear surgical masks, whether they are in Japan or elsewhere. They will wear them if they have e.g a cold and hope not to spread their germs, and they will sometimes also wear them when around others who have ailments such as coughs and colds. Other reasons they will wear them is to prevent them from dust and pollen born irritations. If you see them wearing a mask in a typical city street, then it is being worn in the belief it will help protect from general traffic and city pollution.
Korean's do also wear the masks, although I have to say I rarely see them in them in my own locality, although I could check that out with my colleagues at the university who spend more time with them than I do.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I suggest that you watch the NHK channel, most of the population wear them going about their daily routine, plus that same channel covers the Japanese tourist trade world wide, again showing the vast majority wearing them in other countries. Most people cringe when reading your responses as it clearly indicates your under ten age which is quite appropriate as that age bracket knows no better.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:You give away your age by your subject line and how you started that post. Anyone under 80 just cringes at someone who talks like that because it is just not appropriate.
What can I say...... :a19:

Is that grown up enough for you?

Your problem, or rather ONE of your problems, is that you're so far up your own backside that you can't see what a miserable, humourless curmudgeon you are.

P.S. Re the Japanese & masks ....you are are totally WRONG, as the briefest of looks at any shots of Japanese at home or abroad would tell you.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

I knew a beautiful Japanese woman who would put on a perfect makeup for a galla evening in Cairo only to hide her face behind a mask to avoid the smoke. None of the Korean, Chinese or Taiwanese ladies wore one.

You can tell someone from Taiwan at a buffet dinner by the smiles on their face when they discover the familiar delight of the popular combination of Omm Ali and chicken panee. The Japanese are the ones who speak Japanese.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Glyphdoctor wrote: Anyone under 80 just cringes at someone who talks like that
Not necessarily if they are Brits.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

[quote="newcastle"]A propos old posts, I was, for my amusement :urm: browsing old topics this morning
Spoiler
Show
memo to self....get a life!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27492&hilit=How+safe+is+Luxor

Interesting to see that the occasional bish-bash was alive in those dim and distant days post the 2011 revolution and to peruse the sword play between members, some still around, some lurking under rocks and some, sadly, no longer with us

"That was really great fun, I gave up after 8 pages, I must say we talked some great sh*t back then, one has to agree we could talk the talk back then...
'Now we have all matured somewhat at 3,30am after a good night out at the Marsam and We 'don't talk sh*t now do we ?...8)
with Klaus Barbie!
'sorry that should read BarB & Klaus avec cigaars....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Who2 wrote: 'Now we have all matured somewhat at 3,30am after a good night out at the Marsam and We 'don't talk sh*t now do we ?...8)..
At least not offline!

:eat :wi It was a beautiful evening at Marsam. :br

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

At the end of the day, it does not matter really where the tourists come from, just as long as they help with the work situation, and their presence creates jobs for local people.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I often wonder what the mindset is behind the wearing of these masks. I can understand outside with all the pollutants, but again on the NHK channel the showed them wearing the odd one or two in the cinema. How do they manage to eat their popcorn? :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Well my family have just arrived in Tokyo and on Skype my SIL remarked on the number wearing masks and pondered if it was because of the pollution. She is Chinese and was surprised when I said I remembered wondering the same thing when I arrived in Beijing in 1988. We were told it was a mixture of ill health or pollution, especially for those who worked outside in cities (with no emission controls then the air was like soup).
Carpe diem! :le:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:

I'm afraid your colleague was wrong. I can assure you that Japanese people do wear surgical masks, whether they are in Japan or elsewhere. They will wear them if they have e.g a cold and hope not to spread their germs, and they will sometimes also wear them when around others who have ailments such as coughs and colds. Other reasons they will wear them is to prevent them from dust and pollen born irritations. If you see them wearing a mask in a typical city street, then it is being worn in the belief it will help protect from general traffic and city pollution.
Korean's do also wear the masks, although I have to say I rarely see them in them in my own locality, although I could check that out with my colleagues at the university who spend more time with them than I do.
My colleague is Japanese and worked as an interpreter for Japanese tour groups for 10 years back when there were not enough Japanese language tour guides and he even interpreted for the Japanese prime minister when he visited Egypt. Of course, Japanese wear face masks for the reasons you give, but he was talking about tourists in Egypt, which I think he probably has a little more experience with than you.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:

My colleague is Japanese and worked as an interpreter for Japanese tour groups for 10 years back when there were not enough Japanese language tour guides and he even interpreted for the Japanese prime minister when he visited Egypt. Of course, Japanese wear face masks for the reasons you give, but he was talking about tourists in Egypt, which I think he probably has a little more experience with than you.
Your statement made no reference to Japanese tourists in Egypt. It came across a very categorical Japanese people do not wear face masks.
You colleagues credentials do not impress me.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

You're wasting your time, Hepzibah, bandying words with GD. She's got a PhD in "reconstructing previous posts".

She could NEVER concede that she may have been a teensy bit wrong.

It would stick in her throat and choke her :a8:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt