One fine Morning

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

One fine Morning

Post by BENNU »

What a nice cool morning this is, the air smells like summer rain at sunrise these days. Rows of burning sugarcane in the distance, a blood orange sundisc reflected in the temporary lake where they are preparing for a new crop. Farmers have been up before the sun to work rhythmically in the fields, surrounded by birds - I know, I am not supposed to describe this fine moment, appreciating beauty means not living in reality. Sharing something nice would be like denying that there are serious problems in the country, no direct flights, no tourist entertainment etc. Admitting to enjoy life, even for a moment now and then and what is worse, learn from life, is like saying that you know nothing about life. :roll:

I shall spare you the number of balloons, how low or far they go, do not worry! After some cloudy mornings with a pale yellow sun appearing high on the sky from behind the clouds long after sunrise, they have been hanging still in one long line up there, letting the passengers witness a perfect Theban sunrise as if taken from a travel brochure and they deserve it. They have worked hard for it and paid good money :urm: for the pleasure, all the while I am guilty of not having slept.

:a65: A morning like this is the benefit of insomnia. :a11:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: One fine Morning

Post by BENNU »

phpBB [video]

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Liked post1 - because I appreciate the scene that is being shared. I cannot experience it for myself but the words come to me as pictures and I see all that is set before me.
You say you are not supposed to describe these scenes, I disagree. You have been given the gift of being able to see and share so eloquently through your writing, and I have no doubt it brings pleasure to many. Never give up on sharing that which is beautiful and good. There is more than one reality.

Liked post 2 - because it fits the scene you have described so well, and because it brings back happy childhood memories for me.

Bennu, thank you for being you.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Bennu, it's alway a great pleasure to read your posts - brings Luxor to life for me, even though I'm not there. Please ignore the ignorant and vindictive comments made by a certain spiteful person - our Luxor is VERY different from the one she experiences. :rs :rs :rs

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

:a28: :a28: Thank you.

But, Yildez, all the discos are closed!

Here in my parallel universe, a bird was singing in my right ear. I turned, but then the song was in my left ear and when I tried to see it, the bird was on my right again, very close, then on the left. They were two beautiful spur winged plovers circling around me, managing to make me dance round and round between them to their song in my attempt to get a photo. I gave up, just like they had to give up the date they seemed to have on my terrasse this morning. I often hear them at dawn, but this is the closest that I have been to them.

Scherren, Henry (1906). Popular Natural History. Cassell. p. 268. Mr. J.M. Cook, of the celebrated tourist agency, when in Egypt in 1876, "watched one of these birds, and saw it deliberately go up to a crocodile, apparently asleep, which opened its jaws. The bird hopped in, and the crocodile closed its jaws. in what appeared to be a very short time, probably not more than a minute or two, the crocodile opened its jaws, and we saw the bird go down to the water's edge." There were several of these birds about, and Mr. Cook shot two of them, which Dr. Sclater identified as Spur-winged Plovers; so that the question as to what bird enters the mouth of the crocodile is now set at rest.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Love your posts Bennu keep up the good work, I often look at things in a new light here after reading your posts.
My morning has been taken up with watching the kitten try to kill the mop. He hates that thing, it chases him round everywhere he goes the mop seems to follow so today he must have decided enough, it must go.
First method of approach direct just leap on it, didn't work so be sneaky creep up so it doesn't see me then leap. No good. Sit in a corner then have a little meow and a think, one giant leap and got it! Only thing it fell over with a bang and scared the poor little thing half to death. I think the mop will survive for a little while yet till someone plucks up enough courage to attack again.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

When Alfie was a kitten he used to floor surf on top of the mop. Now he gives it a wide berth as soon as it appears.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Aah, that's different to the ones we get here. Very different! Ours have a loud annoying call, especially when two males argue over a female at one in the morning right outside your bedroom window, and they are often aggressive, especially when they dive-bomb you when they are nesting. I'm afraid you'll have to google to see and hear one, as that's not within my skill range to post.

PS: Keep up the beautiful word images. Those of us not fortunate enough to be there at the moment are always very grateful.
Carpe diem! :le:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Winged Isis wrote: Aah, that's different to the ones we get here. Very different! I'm afraid you'll have to google to see and hear one...
Now that I was posting from my iPad, I tried to get a photo, but I was confused until I realised, too late, that there were two of them so closely cirkling around me. Instead I googled to share a link and I saw the New Zealand masked variety, which was indeed different.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Winged Isis wrote:
Aah, that's different to the ones we get here. Very different! Ours have a loud annoying call,[ especially when two males argue over a female at one in the morning right outside your bedroom window,] and they are often aggressive, especially when they dive-bomb you when they are nesting. I'm afraid you'll have to google to see and hear one, as that's not within my skill range to post.

PS: Keep up the beautiful word images. Those of us not fortunate enough to be there at the moment are always very grateful.
This public kerfuffle is common here as soon as a new female ''white breast'' is spotted. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

On such a cold, grey morning, I should be asleep rather than freezing on the roof with bare arms and legs. The mountains are several shades of grey, Karnak Temple a big grey box in a grey landscape. The balloons do not move at all, just sit in the sky like an audience on the balconies at the theatre before the conductor arrives, and the promising chaos of tuning of instruments, scales and little warm up pieces give away exactly which opera is about to begin before one by one, the musicians are prepared and the the air thick with anticipation.

Yesterday's performance was spectacular, now I wonder how far above the clouds the sun will be hiding before and if the curtains open. The pigeons have become more quiet, letting all the other birds join each other in the perfect ouverture. There it is! A vibrant red sun appears on the horizon in the desert. The balloons start moving in the golden space, slowly as there is little wind on this peaceful morning. It is as if the birds know that today is Friday and they can take it easy after a busy week. Most of the balloons have given up and are collapsing in the fields around me, while two are very high above the valleys. I can already feel the sunrays on my skin on this bright morning, ready to embrace another sunny day.

:ct

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

What a lovely morning this is.

I wake from a dreamless sleep upon the slightly damp sheet of my bed to face a new day. Yes....no electricity again and the room temperature is already creeping up to 30°......it's 4am. The first tendrils of light are permeating the gap between my window and the wall built recently by my neighbour 15cms away. I never did like that view of the river.

Gently, I swing my leg off the bed and skid slightly on the glistening brown pool left by my nocturnal cat...the remnants of last night's hunt, partly digested and then regurgitated. The bathroom beckons....but a turn of the tap produces no more than a deep rattle of distant pipes. The water is off......again.

The neighbour's donkey greets the dawn with a tuneless bray, his ten minute aria scattering the flock of hige and ominous crows picking at the corpse of a dog lying in the ditch running by my kitchen window. The sweet aroma of decomposing flesh and untreated sewage (the septic tank needs emptyng) caresses my nostrils as I rummage in the cupboard to find the coffee. A crumpled empty bag mocks me from the shelf .
Spoiler
Show
with apologies to BENNU

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

MT will be PMing you over this. Probably got his infrastructural juices running. :lol: Two mornings ago I flattened the remnants of a lizard that had been deposited on the lounge carpet.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

HEPZIBAH wrote: There is more than one reality.
:a11: Apparently. :a11: