Taxi to Shop

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Taxi to Shop

Post by Major Thom » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:17 am

I suppose people have noticed the double whammy going on in Luxor, regarding food prices, I am not talking about the sook food because I would not touch it. I am talking about food from supermarkets. If it keeps on going up in price it will soon be cheaper to get a taxi to Spinneys in Hurghada do a weekly shop and return to Luxor. Last week our food shop, which took in 3 supermarkets was 1600LE, above the price of food you would pay for in England. Purina Dog biscuits now 260LE more than double the cost in UK, chicken fillets, again double the cost almost in UK, and basically on their last legs for freshness. We got 12 litres of milk to find that when we got home, the boxes had been broken down while crushing them onto shelves and 4 litres had to be thrown away. Similar cereal boxes. We found item on shelves that were over a week out of sell by date, it made us wonder how many people know there's even a sell by date for food. How many of us buy biscuits to find half the packet is broken, or potato crisps to find many of them crushed, what about UK chocolate bars to find when you open them the chocolate has at sometime melted and is now crystallised, or it is so hot in the shop the chocolate has melted to the wrapper, or another good one, your chocolate digestives come has one big lump of mess, were the chocolate has melted the whole packet together.
Don't tell me you have never come across this at all, because I would never believe you. Have you noticed recently the warmth of supermarkets, and the fact there is basically a refrigeration engineer working full time outside supermarkets. A great one is purchasing supposedly frozen food, that is thawed out. Could it be that the rise in Electricity pointed out in another post is effecting the time freezers are run, could it be the low electric supplies are not allowing fridges and freezers to do the work properly.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Taxi to Shop

Post by carrie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:19 am

Have you tried looking at the sell by dates before you purchase rather than waiting till you get home? But not to worry you'll soon be gone to the land of Oz where you wont have any of these things to complain about. What a dull life you will have.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:15 am

The date on products in Egypt are usually not sell by, but production dates!

Jayway

Post by Jayway » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:37 am

Thankyou MT for another very funny post. you do enliven my mornings ! I only used one supermarket to get New Zealand lamb legs, I certainly never ate the rubbish you seem to survive on. Purina Dog Food ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: more money than sense. As for the melted chocolate digestives, cut into bite size pieces, cover with cream and eat. Chicken fillets ? Why ? Get a freshly killed chicken from the butcher, far better than dubious meat in packets. I did enjoy the fresh vegetables from the market. I suppose you like your veg in tins? - - -

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:55 am

Is that a rehashed post from an earlier date. I read it and knew what was coming next, especially about the chocolate digestives. This was not a case of deja vu but a very real sense of I've read this before. I even had to check the date to make sure I wasn't reading an old thread.

Surely by now Major Thom, you have learnt that when living abroad you must never compare prices with those you may have paid in your own country. If you insist on living on products that have labels known to you, you have to expect to pay the price.

If I was shocked by your post, it was by the amount you spend on dog food. I can think of many Luxor families that would like that amount of money to spend on their normal basic living - but for human food.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:59 am

Moan, moan, moan, at least you have the sun. Here in sunny London yesterday was the hottest day of the year a chilly 32oC.
And at least you have a stable government, oh! well I'm off to a pub for a glass of excellent beer...
"be lucky.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:22 pm

All I have to say is they who laugh First laughs last, I cannot wait. Dont understand well we will have to wait and see what happens.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Major Thom wrote:Last week our food shop, which took in 3 supermarkets was 1600LE, above the price of food you would pay for in England. Purina Dog biscuits now 260LE more than double the cost in UK, chicken fillets, again double the cost almost in UK

... boxes had been broken down while crushing them onto shelves and 4 litres had to be thrown away. Similar cereal boxes.

How many of us buy biscuits to find half the packet is broken, or potato crisps to find many of them crushed, what about UK chocolate bars to find when you open them the chocolate has at sometime melted and is now crystallised, or it is so hot in the shop the chocolate has melted to the wrapper, or another good one, your chocolate digestives come has one big lump of mess, were the chocolate has melted the whole packet together.

Don't tell me you have never come across this at all, because I would never believe you. A great one is purchasing supposedly frozen food, that is thawed out.
1600LE above prices in England! Jolie Ville have lowered their prices on food and the quality is better than ever. The two of you could eat a delicious buffet dinner daily for one week there for 1600LE including tips. You could sail there and back for what you would save on a taxi to Spinneys and remember the good old days when you were tourists in an exotic, beautiful country.

I do not have a dog to feed, so have no idea about the cost of dog biscuits. I do not eat chicken or cereals, do not like milk, but keep a carton for cooking or if a guest wants milk in their coffee; if it was broken, I would not buy it, and if I had bad experience, I would make it a habit to check it before leaving the shop. Crisps are usually fresh and good because Egyptians eat them a lot and they sell very fast. If you let someone pack your bags, you may have to save your crisps from getting under something heavier and get crushed on your way home.

If I were tempted to buy chocolate on East Bank, it would melt before I got home most of the year, but I really need to have a craving to buy chocolate in Luxor in the first place. I did find some good ones, but forgot all about it. If I want to buy something sweet, I would rather get myself some nice fresh - and cheap - pastry. There are some Egyptian digestive type butter biscuits with chocolate that I like. I have never seen them on the West Bank, but used to enjoy them when I lived on the other side, now I eat them occasionally for sentimental reasons. They are good and the fact that they stick together is part of the experience. They remind me of my first years in North Africa and I would love one with my coffee right now here in my European city where quality is always available. (I did bring one that survived the journey from Luxor in my rucksack.)

Eleven years ago, I decided not to buy frozen food in Egypt, as far as I am concerned, it is simply not an option, so I do not care about it! The same goes for imported cheese in most East Bank or Cairo supermarkets because too often, I have had to throw it away as soon as I opened it, which would provoke anyone going through he rubbish. Fresh food is available, so I simply ignore the frozen. My freezer here in Copenhagen is full of nice quality products and in the fridge I have wonderful and expensive Spanish, Swedish and French cheeses, but I would die for a slice of Rumi, freshly picked herbs and local, sunripe fruit, but I am not complaining.

@Who2: :br

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:44 pm

Just as well some of us can still afford to live here. :)

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:39 pm

I used to know the general melting point of chocolate, bearing in mind that I was taught this in England, understanding that there were temperature variations depending on the quality of chocolate used and what type of chocolate e.g milk or plain, how much fat, sugar, milk solids etc it contained. What I have learnt, memory and experience, is that chocolate does not always travel well. Its recipe is very much dependant on the local market, not just for flavour but for stability in various temperatures. (This is where Cadbury's have gone wrong since being taken over by Kraft and changing the UK recipe, but that is a topic for another day.) It's so long since I've given the melting point of chocolate a thought that I decided to look it up and I think I have found the ideal chocolate for Major Thom.

This is an old article so perhaps there has been progress made since it was written.

Scientists Concoct Chocolate That Won't Melt
By Ker Than | July 14, 2006 04:30am ET

Chocolate is not widely consumed in the tropics, even though that's where most of the world's cocoa is produced.

The reason: It's too hot.

High temperatures in countries like Nigeria reduce chocolate into a sticky, gooey mess.

Food scientists have been trying to remedy this situation for decades, and now researchers in Nigeria believe they are close to achieving the holy grail among chocolate manufacturers: a heat-resistant chocolate that actually tastes like chocolate.

Melting point

Most brands of chocolate melt at temperatures between 77 to about 91 degrees Fahrenheit.

S.O. Ogunwolu and C.O. Jayeola, food scientists at the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, have mixed cornstarch with cocoa to produce a heat-resistant chocolate that they say compares "favorably with conventional milk chocolate in terms of color, taste, smoothness and overall acceptability."

The starch acts as a chocolate thickener and prevents the outflow of cocoa butter—the natural fat of the cocoa bean—when the heat is on. The researchers found that using 10 percent starch was ideal and produced a product that was comparable to milk chocolate in taste tests.

The new concoction stays firm up to 122 degrees.

The recipe is outlined in the current issue of the British Food Journal.

Guns and chocolate

The battle to prevent chocolate meltdown has been a long one.

One of the earliest of these culinary offensives occurred in the midst of World War II, when the U.S. Army commissioned research into the creation of a chocolate that soldiers could eat on the go. The bar wasn't set very high, though, and the army captain who oversaw the project had only four requirements for the military chocolate: that it weigh only about four ounces, be able to withstand high temperatures, have high food energy and taste "just a little better than a boiled potato."

Since the 1970's, there have been about nine patents plus numerous research articles on the development of heat-resistant chocolate.

"People have been working on it for a long time and are still working on it now," said Richard Hartel, a food engineer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, who was not involved in the Nigerian study.

During Operation Desert Storm, Hershey's Chocolate tested a high-temperature chocolate capable of withstanding 140-degree temperatures. It was dubbed the "Desert Bar," but troop reactions to its taste were mixed.

Taste tests

Hartel has not tried the new cornstarch chocolate himself, but he points out the one major problem that previous heat-resistant chocolate products have run into.

"They don't melt in your mouth," Hartel told LiveScience. "You have to chew it, and that's what leads to a waxy or chewy characteristic."

The corn starch chocolate doesn't seem to have this problem, however. In taste tests conducted by the Nigerian researchers, people rated the new chocolate as being similar to milk chocolate in color, taste, smoothness and overall acceptability. It was found to be slightly less sweet than milk chocolate, however.

The researchers hope their new confection will "allow the wide distribution, display and consumption of chocolate in the tropics, especially Nigeria."
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:20 am

Major Thom wrote:I suppose people have noticed the double whammy going on in Luxor, regarding food prices, I am not talking about the sook food because I would not touch it. IF YOU WANT GOOD QUALITY AND FRESH FRUIT AND VEGETABLES YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG ON THE LOCAL FOOD SOUK AND EVERYTHING IS PRICED] I am talking about food from supermarkets. If it keeps on going up in price it will soon be cheaper to get a taxi to Spinneys in Hurghada do a weekly shop and return to Luxor. Last week our food shop, which took in 3 supermarkets was 1600LE, above the price of food you would pay for in England. Purina Dog biscuits now 260LE [ARKWRIGHT'S SELL THE MOST EXPENSIVE DOG BISCUITS, KZ THE CHEAPEST AT THE MOMENT. more than double the cost in UK, chicken fillets, again double the cost almost in UK, and basically on their last legs for freshness. [OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE COST OF THINGS, SO BUY YOUR FROZEN CHICKEN FILLETS FROM ARKWRIGHT'S, SIX GOOD SIZED FILLETS FOR 63Le.] We got 12 litres of milk to find that when we got home, I BUY MY MILK BY THE BOX, NOW AND AGIN I HAVE HAD A SLIGHTLY CRUSHED TOP, BUT NEVER A LEAK, AND IF FOUR OF YOURS WERE SO BADLY DAMAGED WHEN YOU GOT HOME, SURLY YOU NOTICED THAT YOU WERE TRAILING MILK THROUGH THE SHOP] the boxes had been broken down while crushing them onto shelves and 4 litres had to be thrown away. Similar cereal boxes. We found item on shelves that were over a week out of sell by date, ONLY ARKWRIGHT'S SELL IMPORTED CEREALS AT THE MOMENT TO MY KNOWLEDGE, SO YOU MUST BE BUYING TAMMYS, WHICH ARE ONLY FIT FOR ANIMAL FOOD, SO SAVE ON THE PET FOOD BY GIVING YOUR MUTS THESE. it made us wonder how many people know there's even a sell by date for food. How many of us buy biscuits to find half the packet is broken,COMMON PROBLEM IN EVERY COUNTRY, CRUSHED AND BROKEN BISCUITS, I BUY THEM EVERY WEEK, SAME WITH THE CRISPS.] or potato crisps to find many of them crushed, what about UK chocolate bars to find when you open them the chocolate has at sometime melted and is now crystallised, THE CHOCOLATE YOU BUY NOW IS IN A FAR SUPERIOR CONDITION THAT IT USED TO BE. VERY RARE IS IT THAT I BUY A WHITENED OR MELTED BAR. I MUST BE JUST LUCKY BUT I DO TRANSPORT THEM FROM A-B IN A COOL-BAG WITH ICE BLOCK INSIDE. COMMON SENSE REALLY..] or it is so hot in the shop the chocolate has melted to the wrapper, or another good one, your chocolate digestives come has one big lump of mess, were the chocolate has melted the whole packet together. COMMON FAULT, BUT A STEAK KNIFE SOON SEPARATES THEM, GIVING YOU THE CHOICE OF THICKNESS, DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE ORIFICE.]
Don't tell me you have never come across this at all, because I would never believe you. Have you noticed recently the warmth of supermarkets, and the fact there is basically a refrigeration engineer working full time outside supermarkets. A great one is purchasing supposedly frozen food, that is thawed out.I BUY A LOT OF FROZEN FOOD, ALWAYS TAKEN FROM THE FAR REAR OF THE DISPLAY. YOU CAN TELL IF ITS NOT FROZEN BY GIVING IT A SLIGHT SQUEEZE, SO IF SOFT TO THE TOUCH, DON'T BUY, ALTHOUGH RE-FROZEN VEGETABLES GIVE NO PROBLEMS, JUST A FROZEN BALL THAT EASILY SEPARATES WHEN PLACED IN WATER TO COOK] Could it be that the rise in Electricity pointed out in another post is effecting the time freezers are run, could it be the low electric supplies are not allowing fridges and freezers to do the work properly.
If, when shopping for anything, it is up to the buyer to inspect each item before parting with your cash. That leads to a complaint free life. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:31 pm

I am not going to waste time commenting on that post D.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:01 pm

You just have.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:08 am

As the Borg say, resistance is useless. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Jayway wrote:Chicken fillets ? Why ? Get a freshly killed chicken from the butcher, far better than dubious meat in packets. I did enjoy the fresh vegetables from the market. I suppose you like your veg in tins? - - -
Better still, get a live chicken, duck, rabbit or whatever from the market and keep it alive until you are ready to cook it. But I guess that some folk are more squeamish than I am.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:11 am

Then you or the kids give it a name, then it becomes a member of the family, or playmate for the cats. That would be a choking, cold blooded murder. :stp

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:06 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
Jayway wrote:Chicken fillets ? Why ? Get a freshly killed chicken from the butcher, far better than dubious meat in packets.
Better still, get a live chicken,
Dusak wrote: That would be a choking, cold blooded murder. :stp
Jayway wrote:Chicken fillets ? Why ?
That's why!

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:13 pm

As they say....you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

And you can't get a chicken fillet without killing a chicken.

Go vegan!! You know it makes sense :cg

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:19 pm

A friend of mine used to keep chickens we used to scour the souk looking for a new acquisition. Quite often the stall holder would ask if we wanted him to kill it couldn't understand that we were buying it as a pet. Couldn't eat anything that I actually "know".

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 pm

I once ate a squirrel, but I didn't know him...8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.