Great Day

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Great Day

Post by Major Thom » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:07 am

Yesterday we spent 9 hours cleaning the floors outside, sweeping, vacuuming, washing. Then up to the roof to clean the ceramics repeating the ground floor process, every where looked beautiful, shining and sparkling. Up early today to do the washing, all crisp and clean hanging from the lines. Just had a lovely shower, S and S.

Went outside and they have started burning the fields, all the bedding is black, yesterday's work ruined, so mad!!
Makes you feel like packing up, the only thing to do is either keep on cleaning or live in shyte and don't bother anymore. It's absolutely soul destroying. Burning fields in Europe is illegal, it causes air pollution, filth, and for those with respiritory problems irritation and poor health. Get absolutely sick of it, why can't they plough the old into the fields, it rots and feeds the soil like compost.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Great Day

Post by Who2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:06 am

My pal always complains about Egyptians farming habits,
I always say 'well it's worked fairly well for a few thousand years.

He then pipes up with facts & figures on tonnage per acre.
Anyhow cleaning the dust is normally a daily chore unless of course one doesn't have any visitors for a few days.

He just informed me, as he does that, part of the IMF loan insists on farming practices have to increase their yields... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:26 am

So I'm told, the burning of the harvested sugar cane crops here is also illegal, but the laws are never put into action. I have to say that this last twelve months have seen a dramatic decrease in the black rain over my property, a fact that I'm regretful for as it does tend to create a mess. Luckily I have an internal laundry room so don't suffer from spotted washing.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:16 pm

Isn't it the traditional way in most sugar cane growing areas of the world to burn the crop as it removes the debrise and makes it easier to cut the cane?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:33 pm

That's what I thought too Horus.
I would have thought the field burning was less of an issue in more recent years as so much land seems to have been turned over to banana plants.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:55 pm

It's just. The fact you work so hard to keep things clean, only to have it destroyed in a matter of minutes.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Major Thom wrote:It's just. The fact you work so hard to keep things clean, only to have it destroyed in a matter of minutes.
Such is life! It was a not personal act against you, just something that has been happening in your (now semi) rural location for generations.
-Aldous Huxley

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Like people from the cities in the UK buying a house in a rural village then complaining about a cockerel crowing in a morning. :urm:

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Horus wrote:Like people from the cities in the UK buying a house in a rural village then complaining about a cockerel crowing in a morning. :urm:

I am a little syprised that others who live in the rural areas of Luxor have not commented, although I agree with the general comment by Horus here, though country life in Luxor is somewhat rather different than the N.F.U. and perhaps Fur and Feather would have us believe about the U.K. Way back in the 1920's Carter wrote as to how, oh so often the constant barking of dogs prevented him from sleeping at night, in reality it was rare that he ever slept at this 'house', it was more used as a 'shop'.

During my last few years in Luxor I rented a home away from the port, having given up my hillside home, veery peaceful, but often I was frustrated by the daily fires, either early in a morning just before sun rise, or at sun set, when different homes burnt their weekly rubbish. All this was fine I suppose, but the real problem was the field burnings after harvest.

During the Winter of 2009 several such fires on the WB, proved uncontrolable in fact one such fire seriously damaged two homes on the edge of an agricultural area. The owner of the land in Essna, and not the local tennent farmer, was fined heavily under a then new local government law introduced by it's infamous first governor. If I remember rightly, it was the same week that central government in Cairo introduced a new law banning excessive use of a motorised vehicle horn,............. in other words, like Cairo, nothing really changes in Luxor, and never really will. :wi :wi :wi .

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:43 am

The practice has all but died out here. Previously, apart from fertilising and clearing extraneous parts of the plant, it also got rid of pests such as snakes and rodents.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-07/f ... rm/4870852
Carpe diem! :le:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:20 am

Again its not the fact we live ruraly its the fact of all the hard work that gets destroyed in minutes and burning is really not necassary, when the stubble can be ploughed into the ground where it will rot and fertilize the soil.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:02 am

Major Thom wrote:Again its not the fact we live ruraly its the fact of all the hard work that gets destroyed in minutes and burning is really not necassary, when the stubble can be ploughed into the ground where it will rot and fertilize the soil.
So, in other words, everyone in your locality should change their traditional ways in order to make life easier for you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:41 am

Traditional. ....and cheaper and easier.

Which is why they do it. :roll:

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:17 pm

newcastle wrote:Traditional. ....and cheaper and easier.

Which is why they do it. :roll:
And it kills a lot of nasty bugs. :up

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:30 pm

Much the same with the burning of the rice stubble around Cairo. It is illegal but no one has the ****s to fully enforce the law.

To be honest the pyromania around here (particularly palm logs) is one of the driving reasons for our desire to spend far more time away. We had a conversation about this with Egyptians in El Gouna and they could not believe it was still going on in Luxor as it has been illegal for years!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:20 am

I am finding it even harder to understand posts on here, its not a very friendly place to be at the moment.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:49 am

Major Thom wrote:I am finding it even harder to understand posts on here, its not a very friendly place to be at the moment.
The rest of us have suffered this problem since you first started posting. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:27 am

Why is it being unfriendly to post an opposite view to your own? You started this thread to have a moan about farmers burning the fields, others like myself pointed out that it is common practice in many places in the world and you do live in an agricultural area. But surely they must have been burning the fields during your many visits to Luxor and also while you were researching the rural area where you live, I can't see that they only started doing this after you moved in? but there again maybe they did. :tk

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:42 pm

Research what's research? :?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:39 pm

BBLUX wrote:Much the same with the burning of the rice stubble around Cairo. It is illegal but no one has the ****s to fully enforce the law.

To be honest the pyromania around here (particularly palm logs) is one of the driving reasons for our desire to spend far more time away. We had a conversation about this with Egyptians in El Gouna and they could not believe it was still going on in Luxor as it has been illegal for years!
I am really grateful to BBLUX Here for his comment, and anyone who has really lived on Luxor's WB can not fail to understand his meaning here. No matter how anyone complained, things remained the same, with such reactions as being either archaic, or down right stupid practice.

I remember so often the locals attempting to 'burn' fallen palm trees, which rather than do so, simply smouldered away for upto ten days simply to break the damn things in half. The trouble with the average European in Luxor, is that they fail to realise that most of the population of Luxor and the WB are stupid. If you do not believe me ask any other Egyptian away from there, either North or South. I have always been surprised how the average European associates foreign language skills as being educational, in Luxor it was regarded as a vital tool to ones future. As of around 1990 the population of Luxor exploded, in similar fashion as to that of Hurgarda a few years later. The likes of Television Street extended little further than the Shady Hotel, and there was certainly nothing either before or after the Hilton Hotel in Karnack.

As I read here above with regards to agriculture in Luxor, it seems few have ground knowledge of such profitable produce. Banana certainly is a great gamble, it requires great amounts of fertilisers and a vast amount of pumped water throughout the year, profit is calculated over the third to fifth year process, dependant on a crazy unseen future market price. Sugar has always been a rough balanced price, though the greed of the Luxor tenant farmer has always been so, never satisfied. As some one above points out the I.M.F. are to guarantee wheat price in Egypt, though we have heard that before a couple of years ago, which failed to materialise, when Sisi 'guaranteed' the international market price to local farmers for local wheat production.

When living in the rural side of Luxor and having to deal with your average local farmer when problems occur, it is best to be as sly as they are, and often when thus required to act as stupidly as they are, their expression is wonderful and most satisfying, especially when they do not know what your next move will be. My last home on the WB was surrounded by fields, the tenant farmer there thought he was clever, with in a very short time he did not know whether I would greet him with a hand shake or a knife, and I'm not joking, but that is how the 'law' was there .........but we both understood each other, very clearly.