Great Day

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Great Day

Post by carrie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:17 am

What's your definition of "really living on the west bank" you either live there or don't surely?
As for all native Luxorians being stupid well I beg to differ, they may not have the same ideas or views as the ex pats but what's wrong with that? They have lived with the climate and conditions in Egypt for a lot longer than you or I, give them some credit.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:15 am

carrie wrote: As for all native Luxorians being stupid well I beg to differ.

........and so would I, I did not say that, I said most, but please don't take my word for that ask anyone in Quinna, Essna or even Asswan.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:18 am

carrie wrote:What's your definition of "really living on the west bank" you either live there or don't surely? .
Gezira, is an area of the WB where most Europeans tend to live these days if it is their desire to live on that side, either short or long term. The name itself give a good indication of what that place is. Ask any Egyptian from over in the city to join you for a meal at a restaurant in Gezira, you find they would like to avoid this at all cost, in fact most are rather reluctant to even cross over to the WB.

Believe it or not, up until recently, Gezira was a sort of 'closed shop', even with regards to other villages on the WB, and no one in these such places were allowed to ply their 'business' in Gazira,..........it was all held in the control of 'the families'.

As to your comment above Carrie, to be truly involved in Egyptian life on the WB I think you certainly have to be away from the port where there you are seen initially as $ on every encounter with most people, no matter how long you have lived there. Then there are those who call out to you each and every encounter, they are the ones who hope for 'the chance' that one day you will let down your guard.

I know from people who lived on the edge of Gazira, that life is much easier and enjoyable, but for those who lived on the Ramla, it was a nightmare, but these are my findings and my opinion and others are invited to have their own.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:53 pm

I wouldn't live on the Ramla rent free.
As for Egyptians from the east bank not wanting to come over here, I think it has more to do with their not having any family to back them up here if they get into trouble. Egyptians say exactly the same about the East.
West bank about East bank, all stupid, gigolos, robbers.
East Bank about West all stupid, gigolos and robbers.
Those from Cairo say upper Egyptians are backward, Upper Egyptians say the Nubians are thick. Rather like us saying the Irish are a sandwich short of a picnic and the Scots are all mean.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:58 pm

Carrie I was just about to make the same English comparison about our near neighbours, everyone stereotypes other groups regardless of where they live and Egypt is no different, but like you say, it doesn’t mean that it is true.