Common Sense

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Egypt

Common Sense

Post by hatusu »

Ive just been visiting my sister in Dubai . Whilst walking on the beach I came across a notice, in both English and Arabic, with a list of safety rules and regulations for the various sporting activities that took place on the beach or in the water. I was more than a little surprised to read the comment after the list of rules – “Please use common sense at all times”. Now if only that could catch on in Egypt.
Talking of which – on re-entering the country just after midnight, so rather tired and frazzled (WAY past my bedtime for those who know me) I was first in the queue for the re-entry visa at the bank kiosk (the only one open). I asked how much in LE. He told me I couldn’t pay in LE I had to pay in dollars. He showed me the sign on the visa showing $25. I said yes, I knew the price was twenty five dollars but what is the equivalent at the moment in LE? There followed a long and fraught argument in which I pointed out I didn’t have any dollars as I had not been on holiday in America. The queue behind me was getting longer and longer but luckily sympathising with me as I was nearly in tears, and getting louder and louder with someone who was akin to a robot who just kept repeating that I had to pay in dollars. Eventually I think the animosity of the crowd made him give in when he realised that perhaps I really didn’t have any $, and he asked me for 210LE. Oh for some common sense in officialdom.
(I should point out that when I came back from England in the summer through Cairo I had no problem paying in LE)

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Common Sense

Post by Horus »

I sympathise with you Hatusu, I used to return to a certain African country after only being allowed to take out the equivalent of £25 in their local currency by law. I would return after a holiday or whatever to be charged money by customs on items in my case, payable in local currency and guess what? Yes it was always more than I was legally allowed to take out in the first place. Like you, after much arguing to and fro I would hand over my £25 worth of local currency to cover the duty, it happened every time. :urm:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Often depends on whether you get a sensible person or complete knob at the counter.

I wonder what he'd have said if you'd asked to buy $25?

Probably "We don't have any!"

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

We had the same problem last September, but he had already stuck the visa's in our passports. So asked him what he was going to do about it, he asked for our passports back, I told him the passports were our property. He relented and we paid in LE. But our arguement about dollars was the same.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote:Often depends on whether you get a sensible person or complete knob at the counter.

I wonder what he'd have said if you'd asked to buy $25?

Probably "We don't have any!"
:tk I was under the assumption that it was a legal requirement that all counters had to be manned by knobs? I've never come across one that hasn't stuck rigorously to this rule. :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

210LE Is very good, 25 dollars is about 445LE right now, was this before they floated the Egyptian pound Hatusu?

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

No this was 4 December. I gave him a 200LE note and a 10LE note. I didnt think about the exchange rate at the time I was just so relieved he'd seen sense, but you're right it is very good. Strange............

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

hatusu wrote:No this was 4 December. I gave him a 200LE note and a 10LE note. I didnt think about the exchange rate at the time I was just so relieved he'd seen sense, but you're right it is very good. Strange............
I just extended my Visa until next summer for Le75. Took about 3 hours, but no hassle.