Chocolate

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Chocolate

Post by Major Thom »

Does any forum member know where I can get a few boxes of Lindt Chocolates? Also wanting some 70% dark chocolate bars, preferably Swiss, to make Truffles. In Luxor of course! This year there seems to be nothing on the shelves compared to Christmas's past, just loads of rubbish. Even the tins of biscuits seem to be the type you give to dogs. Come on wake your ideas up you shop keepers!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Chocolate

Post by BENNU »

What do you suggest that the shop keepers should do?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

As I am one of Santa's little helpers and provide a distribution centre for him, I currently have, 30 bags of Chocolate Coins, a rather large supply of Lindt Chocolates, an even larger supply of Montezuma's 58% Dark Chocolate Buttons ( trust me they taste much stronger and richer), and an even larger supply than both put together of Green a Blacks Darkest Chocolate. Every piece is accounted for, down to the last chocolate button.

Oh to be in England, now that Chocolate's here!

:a52: :a18: :snig:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

And its falling off every supermarket shelf in the UK at the moment, you cant move for chocolate of all description. :lol:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Thanks all but I did ask where to purchase in Luxor. Regarding what shop keepers should do, well they should offers far better selection, it's no good saying we can't, because they always used to. Last year tins of Quality Street, 70% Chocolate Bars, good quality biscuits, etc. etc.
Now the only thing I have seen are Jewels, I have had to buy 4 big packs, some variety, but better than the crystallized chocolate found in the Simca Chocolate Boxes. I normally make rum truffles but this year there is no 70% chocolate for sale so had to buy extra Jewels.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Like a fool I purchased a box of Quality Street chocolates here last year.
Quality they were not and tasted like 10 year old stock, one doubts one will find any decent imported chocolates anywhere in Luxor due to importation tax ect.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

MT wrote:
Thanks all but I did ask where to purchase in Luxor
I know you did, I'm just rubbing it in, mmm........... Yummy :D

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:Does any forum member know where I can get a few boxes of Lindt Chocolates? Also wanting some 70% dark chocolate bars, preferably Swiss, to make Truffles. In Luxor of course! This year there seems to be nothing on the shelves compared to Christmas's past, just loads of rubbish. Even the tins of biscuits seem to be the type you give to dogs. Come on wake your ideas up you shop keepers!
Well good news the problem with people getting diabetes has been solved after all this time. SUGAR IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE IN LUXOR!!! :lol:
No chocs either...even the diet kind....available in Luxor.

You'd think MT would be grateful. :urm:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Major Thom wrote: Regarding what shop keepers should do, well they should offers far better selection, it's no good saying we can't, because they always used to.
Yes, they used to.

Egypt raises import duties by up to 60 percent to cut deficit

The price rises will affect fruit and chocolate, among other products (Reuters)

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/egypt ... -692827788

Sunday 4 December 2016

Egypt is raising tariffs on some imported goods to up to 60 percent following a decree by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the finance ministry said Sunday.

The ministry said the measure was introduced to "reduce imports," which have seen Egypt's trade deficit soar to more than $49bn.

Sisi's list of hundreds of imported goods set for a tariff rise includes electronic devices, fridges, soaps, cosmetics, various types of shoes, chocolate, and fruit, it said in a statement.

"The amendments ... aim to create the necessary climate to attract investment ... and give a strong boost toward increasing productivity, which is the basis of economic growth, as well as cutting imports, which... have widened the trade deficit to over $49bn."

Most duties were raised by half, the ministry said, with many products having their tariffs increase by up to 60 percent.

Importers criticised the increases, saying Egyptian suppliers did not produce enough of any of the goods included.

The move was likely to boost local monopolies rather than encouraging competition, they said.

"We cannot bear the increased prices. The dollar has already increased costs by 110 percent and then we put another 60 percent on at customs? People who don't have money, where will they buy?" said Ahmed Shiha, head of the importers division at the Cairo Chamber of Commerce.

"We do not have a single factory that makes a bottle of perfume ... So how are we protecting Egyptian industries?"

The move comes as Egyptians are struggling to cope with a wave of higher prices, including for imported goods, following six years of political and economic turmoil in the aftermath of the 2011 uprising which toppled longtime president Hosni Mubarak.

The International Monetary Fund last month approved a $12bn loan for Egypt, which has seen its foreign currency reserves plunge in recent years.

The IMF approval came after Cairo took crucial steps to meet its loan requirements, including slashing fuel subsidies, announcing a value-added tax, and floating the Egyptian pound.

But even before these steps, a dollar crunch over the past year had already driven up prices for imports including medicine and other basic goods, causing shortages.

Local manufacturers' production was also affected, with them needing to import parts or raw materials to make their finished goods locally.

The authorities are already implementing the new tariff system, which is expected to increase annual tariff revenues by $337m, the ministry said.

Egypt will abide by the free trade agreements it has signed with other countries, it said.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Can't understand anyone getting into such a flap over chockies. Just do without and moan moan moan.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Arkwright's have the dark chocolate buttons in bags in the cooler, quite strong. 40's have a selection of imported chocolates. I noticed the other week that KZ had some in on the top shelf of the chocolate shelves but didn't look at them closely. Not much use to you but my local supermarket has a load of dark cooking chocolate bars in their fridge.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:Does any forum member know where I can get a few boxes of Lindt Chocolates? Also wanting some 70% dark chocolate bars, preferably Swiss, to make Truffles. In Luxor of course! This year there seems to be nothing on the shelves compared to Christmas's past, just loads of rubbish. Even the tins of biscuits seem to be the type you give to dogs. Come on wake your ideas up you shop keepers!
Major Thom wrote:Thanks all but I did ask where to purchase in Luxor. Regarding what shop keepers should do, well they should offers far better selection, it's no good saying we can't, because they always used to. Last year tins of Quality Street, 70% Chocolate Bars, good quality biscuits, etc. etc.
Now the only thing I have seen are Jewels, I have had to buy 4 big packs, some variety, but better than the crystallized chocolate found in the Simca Chocolate Boxes. I normally make rum truffles but this year there is no 70% chocolate for sale so had to buy extra Jewels.
Ermm... actually you didn't ask where, in Luxor, you could purchase your chocolate. You did say you wanted to make truffles in Luxor though!

As for the shopkeepers in Luxor being able to stock, or not, good quality chocolate, I would have thought that. with the increase in prices for everything these days, they would be having to consider what they can afford to outlay money in advance on stocking luxury items when an increasing number of the population are struggling to buy basics.

(Just to add insult to injury, today I've received a box of chocolates from Chococo. You probably have not heard of either Montezumas or Chococo, but they are both small producers of award winning chocolates. Both, although different styles, are very good and to be recommended.)
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A question for Major Thom.
Why do you prefer to have Swiss 70% cocoa chocolate? Swiss are most famed for their milk chocolate. As someone who much prefers high cocoa content chocolate, I don't associate Swiss chocolates in this category. Am I missing out on something? If so, what?
-Aldous Huxley

Glory

Post by Glory »

Been in Forty this afternoon MT and they have lots of Lindtt chocolate bars, didnt check prices though.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Thanks Glory for your answer, nice to know someone from Luxor takes notice of what's on the shelves.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

Well you took note of "what was on the shelves" and declared it was "all rubbish" :urm:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

60% increase means not much really, it's been said on here that the new exchange rate effects local and not so much Europeans. Enquirer about laptops yesterday and was told they had doubled in price, sore all you inEuropen money they are the same price, they have only increased to local people.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

... but he didn't take notice of me when I gave the same information a few days ago. :(
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX »

Just to make the point, while you have been moaning about the lack of decent chocolate I have been out and somewhat reduced the stocks of Lindt chocolate in 40's. Orange, mint and of course the 85% cocoa variety. Seek and ye shall find, moan and be left behind.
Merry Christmas :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Got someone bringing in what I want from UK tomorrow, thanks everyone.