Christmas Day

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Christmas Day

Post by Major Thom » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:04 pm

Well Christmas Day is almost finished, thanks to friends coming from the UK we had a great dinner, they brought in for us all the food stuff to enjoy a great dinner. We were so pleased because there was no traditional fare in Luxor this year. Over the day we were disturbed 5 times by Orange Telecoms advertising rubbish, but you feel you have to get up and look it might be family, so rude sending rubbish adverts on Christmas Day. Anyway after hogging our faces we decided to get a boat from Banana Island to Luxor, we have not been to Luxor at night for months, and wanted to see the Christmas lights, we have seen more illumination down a UK dark Ally. Goodness knows what tourists think, they if there are any will be really disappointed. Just got home in. Time to watch Eastenders on the TV and then with a bit of luck will be in bed at 8pm. Oh! Forgot thank you builders at the back of me for the noise of your concrete mixer, the motorized hoist and your continual shouting. Your respect was noted.Hopefuly the water supply will come back on before we retire so we can shower before going to bed

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Christmas Day

Post by BENNU » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Major Thom wrote: Anyway after hogging our faces we decided to get a boat from Banana Island to Luxor, we have not been to Luxor at night for months, and wanted to see the Christmas lights, we have seen more illumination down a UK dark Ally.
I am sorry that complaining about the lack of Christmas lights for years has not helped and that you still get disappointed each Chistmas.
x:cry: x:n x:(
:a28:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Imagine how tourists feel Bennu, my children used to love the Christmas lights when we took them away for a Christmas Holiday. Like it says There seems to be no room at the Inn. Seeing as we had read during the year how tourism has increased to Egypt this year you would have thought that some effort would have been made, and we thought that due to the increase in tourism the lights would be on again. Really disappointed.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:18 pm

How many tourists would holiday in a Muslim county expecting Christmas lights? None, as most are more intelligent than some we know! Friends who have travelled with us in Egypt have been surprised to see recognition of New Year, Valentines Day and Easter, even allowing it's just for tourists.
Carpe diem! :le:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:31 pm

Well I am just back after having a lovely Christmas meal in good company. Apart from being cold a good time I think was had by all and I can't honestly say that anyone missed Christmas lights.
AND no one complained about Egyptians, Luxor, water shortages, power cuts, just civilized conversation.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Major Thom wrote:Imagine how tourists feel Bennu, my children used to love the Christmas lights when we took them away for a Christmas Holiday. Like it says There seems to be no room at the Inn.
I have often enjoyed the atmosphere of Christmas in different European countries. Some choose to escape Christmas and would probably be disappointed to find Christmas lights in a North African country with different faith and traditions. For some holiday makers, it may be enough to experience it at hotels.

Old Winter Palace with its garden should be worth a trip across the river.

:a52:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:28 pm

As a 'tourist' (I prefer the term visitor because of the overall nature of my being here) in Luxor, I can honestly say that I have not noticed an absence of Christmas lights, because I was not expecting to see any.

My hotel has not put on any special events or effort for Christmas, other than a few strands of tinsel that were put up last night, although they could be for the New Years Eve bash that they will be holding. Nevertheless, the warm Christmas greetings I received from the staff seemed genuinely given.

Christmas Eve, I took afternoon tea with a friend in the Old Winter Palace. The reception and stairwell area were simply but tastefully decorated. The Christmas tree feature may not be to everyone's taste because of its simplicity, but I believe it was one of a number of Christmas art installations, other examples of which I saw in the corridor leading to the Library Bar. At 6-30pm mulled wine was served to guests in the reception and the youth choir of St. Mary's presented a number of traditional, and less traditional carols and songs. Father Christmas also put in an appearance and gave out traditional gifts of oranges and sugared almonds. This took me back to happy memories of childhood when an orange was an important feature of my Christmas stocking contents as left by Father Christmas.

Later in the evening, although not a Roman Catholic, I attended the Christmas Eve Mass at the Franciscan Church. I have every reason to think I was the only 'tourist' at that service, but I was warmly welcomed and asked to take part and contribute a reading in English. I gave my thanks but declined. It was then explained to me that the service would be given in Arabic, Italian and a bit of Latin, so I may not understand it. I informed the official that this was no problem for me as I was there to remember the 'reason for the season' and to welcome in Christmas Day with other believers.

I was amused to see Father Christmas parading in with the priests and officials, but later during the service, and after short speeches (sermons) in French and German, Father Christmas proceeded to give an evangelical message in English. It is fair to say that I laughed when later, instead of giving out gifts, he came around with the offertory bag!

My Christmas Day has been spent mostly with a lovely Coptic family. They will not be celebrating Christmas until January, but were more than keen to make my Christmas Day as special as though could within their means. Nor turkey and plum pudding for us, but a lunch of home made koshery. Supper was home made falafel, salad, chips, aubergine, and flat bread. Perfect! My 'Foods I miss from Egypt and must eat' list has now been completed. Highlights of the day - a 5 year old that had gone to a Sunday School party and ringing her mummy to ask if I would like a packet of chipsy as she would buy me one; a 9 year old giving me the sweets from her party bag.

As I was on my way back to my hotel I took a phone call from a friend, concerned that I may not have had a good Christmas and been to any celebrations. Not wanting me to be alone, he and a friend invited me out for a drink and entertained me for the rest of the evening. Although I assumed we would be sharing the bill, they would not hear of it. They then ensured I safely returned to my hotel before going back to their homes.

Did I say that I hadn't noticed the lack of Christmas illuminations in a town that I would not expect to fine them?

I have had a lovely Christmas and not missed any of the traditions that it is so easy to get hung up about. x:))
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:29 pm

Major Thom wrote:Imagine how tourists feel Bennu, my children used to love the Christmas lights when we took them away for a Christmas Holiday. Like it says There seems to be no room at the Inn. Seeing as we had read during the year how tourism has increased to Egypt this year you would have thought that some effort would have been made, and we thought that due to the increase in tourism the lights would be on again. Really disappointed.
.....and NO SNOW!! :a17:

Dreadful.

No wonder winter tourism declining.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:12 am

OH DEAR!!!!!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:28 am

Major Thom wrote:OH DEAR!!!!!
What can the matter be?
-Aldous Huxley

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:40 am

It may be a surprise, but some of us - myself included - prefer to spend Xmas in countries where it's not a huge, commercial, over-hyped event dedicated to consumerism. I have no religious belief, but understand that the real Xmas message is about selflessness and helping others, not a huge orgy of excess eating and drinking. If there was a Christian church within reach of where I live, I would probably attended a Xmas service, because I believe the message is universal.

This year I'm at home in Turkey for Xmas, but instead of having Xmas treats - a bottle of Baileys for example - I went to our local market on Xmas Eve, and spent the money on boots and warm clothes for Syrian refugee children, living in dreadful conditions in a tented village near Izmir.

I don't want, or expect, any praise for this. I'm not unusual, others spend their Xmas in soup-kitchens or with the disadvantaged. I hope other people who are lucky enough to want for nothing, think about sharing rather than consuming, especially when they live in communities where there is real poverty and need.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:20 am

Cor Cor! An opinion has been posted, people that love Christmas may like to know facts, others may just not be bothered. Simple as that really. Stating the obvious that Egypt is predominately Muslim is known to everyone. I remember back in UK Mslims living there liked to enjoy Christmashas much as anyone, a beer here a wine there, but they enjoyed the spectacle of how we celebrated, keeping the religions out of the enjoyment. Most of us here respect their celebratory dates and some of us join in with them, most of us also appreciate the period of Ramadan also, most do not go home because of the period of Ramadan, it's their period and w respect it. It's the intagration or non intagration and respect between us all that needs in some respect fixing, plus the respect for each other. By that I mean respect of the good people with good hearts, not the snakes, thieves and those that have money first attitudes.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:07 am

That post makes as much sense as the rest of your posts. Read it again and then try to explain in readable English just what you are trying to say.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:18 am

Clear as a bell to me! Ok I may cut corners, people know that. But don't worry not for much longer. They say life begins at 65 lets all hope it does. (65 is the new 40) just to explain for those who think I write in Double Dutch.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:39 am

Major Thom wrote:Time to watch Eastenders on the TV and then with a bit of luck will be in bed at 8pm. Oh! Forgot thank you builders at the back of me for the noise of your concrete mixer, the motorized hoist and your continual shouting. Your respect was noted.Hopefuly the water supply will come back on before we retire so we can shower before going to bed
Major Thom wrote: I remember back in UK Mslims living there liked to enjoy Christmashas much as anyone, a beer here a wine there ...Most of us here respect their celebratory dates and some of us join in with them, most of us also appreciate the period of Ramadan also, most do not go home because of the period of Ramadan, it's their period and w respect it. It's the intagration or non intagration and respect between us all that needs in some respect fixing, plus the respect for each other.
Yes, I am sure that if an extraordinarily beautiful, quiet and peaceful part of rural UK, visible from a famous river was suddenly ruined by lots of buildings for people from North Africa, their habits would be respected and villagers would stop working during Ramadan.

That is integration and respect. x:roll:

Merry Christmas.
:a52:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:32 pm

Major Thom wrote:Well Christmas Day is almost finished, thanks to friends coming from the UK we had a great dinner, they brought in for us all the food stuff to enjoy a great dinner. We were so pleased because there was no traditional fare in Luxor this year. Over the day we were disturbed 5 times by Orange Telecoms advertising rubbish, but you feel you have to get up and look it might be family, so rude sending rubbish adverts on Christmas Day. Anyway after hogging our faces we decided to get a boat from Banana Island to Luxor, we have not been to Luxor at night for months, and wanted to see the Christmas lights, we have seen more illumination down a UK dark Ally. Goodness knows what tourists think, they if there are any will be really disappointed. Just got home in. Time to watch Eastenders on the TV and then with a bit of luck will be in bed at 8pm. Oh! Forgot thank you builders at the back of me for the noise of your concrete mixer, the motorized hoist and your continual shouting. Your respect was noted.Hopefuly the water supply will come back on before we retire so we can shower before going to bed
Hopefully your next Xmas message the record will break due to it falling off the pedestal as a result to another earth shattering exclamation! How do they build without water? I thought that no small boats were allowed to use the river in the dark? Anyway, we both had a very enjoyable mega Xmas day although I seemed to spend most of it in the kitchen. My two home grown tangerines were the icing on the cake, so to speak.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:28 pm

My two home grown tangerines were the icing on the cake, so to speak.
Some people are blessed with appreciating the simple pleasures in life. :) :up

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Horus wrote:
My two home grown tangerines were the icing on the cake, so to speak.
Some people are blessed with appreciating the simple pleasures in life. :) :up
I was on the Corniche this morning catching up with an old friend when an elderly gentleman, apparently the captain of one of the cruise boats that was berthed by Luxor Temple, came up and presented me with an large tangerine. That's the second time I've been blessed in this way in two days - the other being Christmas Eve when Father Christmas gave one to me too.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:39 pm

carrie wrote:That post makes as much sense as the rest of your posts. Read it again and then try to explain in readable English just what you are trying to say.
Perhaps it was written under the influence of the rum that couldn't go into the home made chocolate truffles because the chocolate in Luxor did not come up to standard. x:roll:
-Aldous Huxley

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:57 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:
carrie wrote:That post makes as much sense as the rest of your posts. Read it again and then try to explain in readable English just what you are trying to say.
Perhaps it was written under the influence of the rum that couldn't go into the home made chocolate truffles because the chocolate in Luxor did not come up to standard. x:roll:
Not possible Hepzibah, unless his frequently stated abstinence from alcohol is untrue? I have to say, I thought his post indicated that he was completely trollied!