Christmas Day

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Christmas Day

Post by Dusak » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:34 pm

Horus wrote:
My two home grown tangerines were the icing on the cake, so to speak.
Some people are blessed with appreciating the simple pleasures in life. :) :up
I've had apple trees and one pear tree in the UK over the years, but never once did I ever expect to be growing, and reaping, a home grown tangerine crop, albeit a small one, and enjoying that small pleasure of eating one. I also have two lemon trees that have had a few fruit and a lime tree that has produced flowers but no fruit, also a pomegranate that I've had a few fruits off, bit tarty to the taste. But its early days as I only replanted them directly into the earth last year and they are growing very well.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:12 pm

Here's an interesting fact for you Dusak having grown the fruits myself in sunnier climes. The leaves of Orange, Lemon and Grapefruit trees look the same, but if you crush a leaf it actually smells of the fruit that grows on it. :up
Not sure how your Tangerine works out though :tk

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:18 pm

I tend to stay clear of the leaves as the thorns on the fruit trees here are deadly.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Kymmy

Post by Kymmy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Years ago Luxor DID put up Christmas lights lest we forget people went for Christmas to enjoy and see the lights etc hotels street iv been years ago at Christmas times have changed no tourists shame but true but Luxor DId used have the festive feel nothing to do with being Muslim duh

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:08 am

Kymmy wrote:Years ago Luxor DID put up Christmas lights lest we forget people went for Christmas to enjoy and see the lights etc hotels street iv been years ago at Christmas times have changed no tourists shame but true but Luxor DId used have the festive feel nothing to do with being Muslim duh
I think you will find that a number of people on here are in 'de-nile' of what the situation is in Luxor these days. Quite honestly, I believe nothing will change in Luxor for another five years, but even then it will never be what it once was, because in truth Luxor never was this. Luxor will return to being that,......three day event'.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:04 am

I don't think anyone is in denial, those that live here have often commented on the lack of tourists and the closure of various venues. If hotels are empty during the festive period then you can't expect them to put up decorations to the same extent, most of the hotels had very festive decorations inside the hotels, the Winter Palace was lovely as was the Sonesta.
Visitors should have visited my building and the one round the corner, I think the owners had a thing going competing with each other as to who had the nicest decorations. Bit off the beaten track I admit but we all enjoyed it.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:15 am

I don't think anyone on here is in denial of what Luxor is now or continuously harps back to the past (with the exception of you A Four).
We have all adjusted along with the locals that's why we are still here.
Many have moved on.
There were some Christmas lights this year but who cares it's not Regent Street.
With many struggling to make ends meet over recent years I think the lights have slipped down the list of priorities.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:40 am

To some of us who've chosen to live here, the absence of the western-style Christmas hullabaloo is a positive plus point!

It is a predominantly muslim country - why would one expect extensive Christmas lighting?

Personally, I find the Ramadan decorations and lights much more appealing.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:48 am

Luxor a three day event, yes indeed little behind the times A Four we been saying that for some time. Or even a one day event with more and more day trippers coming from Hurghada.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:37 am

My guests feel I should take down my Christmas decorations, I say...
"I decide when Xmas finishes in my home not dictated by some ethereal dictate... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:13 am

Traditionally Christmas decorations are taken down on or before twelfth night. So in the Julian calendar you still have a couple of days left.

But do your own thing. Some people seem to keep them up all year! :a18:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:44 pm

:bar3: :bar3: :bar3:

I enjoy travelling in Europe around Christmas, seeing the lights in other European cities than my own and sense what the tradition means to others. When I was a child, my mother told me that in her childhood, decorations would not come up in the streets and shops until the fifteenth of December, and it would be taken down as soon as Christmas was over. I could not imagine that. One winter on a Greek island, the locals arranged the municipal Christmas lights on the night of the fifteenth and I envied them, thinking that was the way that it was supposed to be.

My first years in Luxor, I would leave for Christmas and be back in the beginning of January. Coming from the station, I saw some awful coloured lights from the trees and around the fountains and asked the driver what on earth that was. He told me that it was Christmas lights for tourists and that they would be there until after the Coptic holiday. I could not associate those sharp white and artificial colours with Christmas, it was just a mess that I dreaded each year.

I do look forward to the Ramadan lights, though, in villages and narrow streets where people live and celebrate what is important to them - even though I am just an outsider looking in.

:bar3: :bar3: :bar3: