Avenue of the Sphynx

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Sdo
Egypt

Avenue of the Sphynx

Post by Sdo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Why oh why is there no security during the renovations of the Avenue of the Sphynx. My balcony overlooks this area and parts of the Sphynxes which have been recovered are laid out on the plinths. Daily I see children jumping over the wall and throwing these 3000 year old stones around like they are rubbish. Arghhhhh....so angry.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Avenue of the Sphynx

Post by A-Four » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:45 pm

I don't know if you noticed Sdo, under a subject by Dusak called ' A few signs of improvements in Luxor' he informed us of a new road bridge that is being built over the Avenue. May I assure you that there will rapid changes to the Western side of the Avenue, once this bridge has been completed. It will become a closed area with similar restrictions as those that apply in Karnack Temple, rental prices in this 'closed area' will be high, and a cup of coffee will reflect that, dare I say it even ex-pats will avoid this area.

I am certain that in the very near future the children climbing over the wall, will be ruthlessly discouraged as history will show you of other now closed sites, including Dendera, Edfu, and Kom Ombo. This policy avoids contact with the hassle, and also improves security at these sites.

Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:59 pm

One can only hope, but at the moment the Avenue is easily accessible along its length particularly from the the Churches to the Library and, with only a low wall, has very quickly become a children's playground and rubbish dump. Does anyone know the expected completion/opening date?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Completion date? I very much doubt that god himself could answer that one.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 pm

The reason I ask is because there is a lot of work going on and progress IS being made despite uncertainty about its completion. It was a reasonable question to ask!!!!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Sdo wrote:. Does anyone know the expected completion/opening date?
:urm: :ni: October 2009!

Ooops! Missed it! Never mind. Tomorrow, next week, next month, one day, Insh'allah! :rs
Meanwhile, as is the way with work men all around the world we'll just have a cuppa and ponder. :ct
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm

There's been at least two official openings already....of "bits" presumably :ni:

They'll probably officially open another "bit" when some local bigwig has nothing better to do.

Weren't they going to cover part of it and have some kind of train running along its length?

Guess I'll be long dead before that happens :lol:

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 pm

Some four or so years ago, the last time I was in Luxor, I wrote on here of the then progress, i remember writing that it would be a great opportunity to 'green' both sides of the Avenue, those trees would have matured by now, and certainly at little cost. The area would not look so stark, and would have certainly added much beauty to the Avenue.

I believe it was a person on here years ago, with the initials J.A. who came up with the ridiculous idea that they were to run a 'noddy' train similar to those in the Kings Valley on the actual stone road of the Avenue,.............that told me how often she had actually worked on that avenue. :wi .

Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:01 pm

"Meanwhile, as is the way with work men all around the world we'll just have a cuppa and ponder".

I watch these men hard at work every day...never see them with a cuppa or pondering!! Most of the work seems to be unskilled labouring which gives these men an opportunity to put food on the table and shoes on the feet. Work much needed in Luxor at the moment. (No doubt someone will come up with a sarcastic comment, as is usual on his site).

Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:02 pm

I watch these men hard at work every day...never see them with a cuppa or pondering!! Most of the work seems to be unskilled labouring which gives these men an opportunity to put food on the table and shoes on the feet. Work much needed in Luxor at the moment. (No doubt someone will come up with a sarcastic comment, as is usual on his site).

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:28 pm

Sdo wrote:"Meanwhile, as is the way with work men all around the world we'll just have a cuppa and ponder".

I am sorry that my sense of humour did not meet your own sense of humour. I do know that many Egyptian workmen are in fact that, workmen.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:37 pm

A-Four wrote:Some four or so years ago, the last time I was in Luxor, I wrote on here of the then progress, i remember writing that it would be a great opportunity to 'green' both sides of the Avenue, those trees would have matured by now, and certainly at little cost. The area would not look so stark, and would have certainly added much beauty to the Avenue.

I believe it was a person on here years ago, with the initials J.A. who came up with the ridiculous idea that they were to run ,.............that told me how often she had actually worked on that avenue. :wi .
Is it really four years since you were last in Luxor? How time flies!

I think that if you were to trawl back through posts you would find that Stan/LivinginLuxor mentioned the use of 'a 'noddy' train similar to those in the Kings Valley on the actual stone road of the Avenue' more than once. Although I took a little time out of the L4U forums at one point, the person I believe you are referring to with the initials JA, has not been that much of a prolific poster and I can't recall them mentioning such information. Do you have a link to this so that I can look back to see what else they had to say about the Sphinx Avenue and East Bank developments please?
-Aldous Huxley

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:44 am

HEPZIBAH wrote: Do you have a link to this so that I can look back to see what else they had to say about the Sphinx Avenue and East Bank developments please?
Unfortunately I can not find the link, but I do know it was widely suggested a 'noddy' train would operate along the Avenue, and yes I think you are right even Stan suggested this too. We have to understand that most tourist and ex-pats have walked along the short length of the Avenue within the Luxor Temple complex, which is quite smooth. I suspect though that most have only viewed the rest from a raised position, had they actually walk the whole length, they would certainly realise such an idea would be impossible, especially on the worst uneven part, being from near the old Susan Mubarak Cultural Centre up towards Karnack.

As a matter of interest, there are quite a few iRoman remains littered along the western side of the Avenue, North of the cultural centre, that have almost been ignored by archeologist.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:44 am

Sdo wrote:One can only hope, but at the moment the Avenue is easily accessible along its length particularly from the the Churches to the Library and, with only a low wall, has very quickly become a children's playground and rubbish dump. Does anyone know the expected completion/opening date?
According to some reports the Kebash Road project is now 85% completed.

It was announced last September that the inauguration ceremony would take place at the beginning of 2018.

"The place: Kebash Road in Luxor, the event: a grand inauguration ceremony, the timing: the beginning of next year, attendees: world’s leading archaeologists, intellectuals, local and international media, and Pharaonic civilization fans."

http://www.egyptindependent.com/kebash- ... ning-2018/

Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:22 am

I think they are doing their best but hard to estimate the completion date. All looks a bit of a mess at the moment but palm trees are planted and areas for resting have been erected. Hope I'm around when its finished!! It will be fabulous and I am so lucky to have this view.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Well walked along there today and at the moment I wouldn't be enjoying the view but as you say sdo when it's finished it should look great. An awful lot of people seem to be working on it so I think something must be in the wind for a grand opening.

Sdo
Egypt

Post by Sdo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Depends on your interpretation of 'the view'. It is very interesting watching it develop.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Sdo wrote: All looks a bit of a mess at the moment but palm trees are planted and areas for resting have been erected.
I am really pleased to read what you have written here Sdo, it seems there is only you and Dusak who go around Luxor with eyes open these days. Like I wrote yesterday, it cost so little to plant trees, they develop so quickly there. I remembered when five years ago they planted trees all along Station Street,........I was so hopeful then.

I feel certain true progress will now made, as it is direct money from central government that is going in to this closed project, and therefore we shall see none of the crap projects dreamt up by Luxor City Council, that I am sure most of us could list throughout the past 25 years that failed, some quite spectacularly.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Well like you say it looks a bit of a mess at the moment.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:50 am

Sdo wrote:The reason I ask is because there is a lot of work going on and progress IS being made despite uncertainty about its completion. It was a reasonable question to ask!!!!
And a reasonable reply was given to my mind. There is no 'official'' completion date, unlike the several we have been given over the past decade. It will finish when it is finished and not before. Going off how long it took to complete the first two bridges, the second one had workers on it yesterday putting stone facers on the external flyover walls, this third and last one will be at least another five months until completion, so the Avenue, finished or not, will not be walkable for safety reasons. A lot of these workers, or so I was told, come from outside the Luxor area. Have you noticed how many young boys are doing this hazardous work? With no shoes on? I saw quite a few yesterday, just as the local bus we were on nearly slipped off the now narrow road to join the workers at the bottom. I was also told that this recent delay was due mainly to the fact that they could not produce the mountains of stone they require from Aswan quick enough. I'm looking forwards to 'doing the walk'from Karnak end to Luxor when its finally open to the paying public.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.