Me & my Plumber........

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Me & my Plumber........

Post by Who2 »

My plumber Mo Sabak popped around today.
He does occasionally when he know's I'm back. Checking what's not working in the water dept, leaks pumps new ideas!!!
We drink we chat we smoke mostly about 'water.
We both can never understand why people here don't have wells and water tanks, We both agree it's a hot Country and will get hotter every year.
Our chats revert to the Ancients and how they handled the problem.
Also that Kabagi and the Metropolitan are being rehashed by Mamoud Edris, he has been into cooling systems for years.
My in-house 'sprinkler system needs updating and one never know's when just one might even suffer a fire to extinguish.
I can remember once standing in-front of a 'mister fan (mia marwha) smoking a fag remarking, 'just how remarkable is this ?
It's all to do with 'pressure and atmospherics, Oh! and water my new system will be solared powered. inshaal!..... 8)
Ps: An old mate died 2 days ago RIP Trev...

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Re: Me & my Plumber........

Post by BBLUX »

Ah, "Mr wind up" RIP

Solar water heating...did you know the new hotel "Embrace" has solar water heating units on its roof. Worth checking them out for info maybe?

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Who2 thanks.

Allegedly the water table on the West Bank is high and encouraging locals to use it, if it can be used, would benefit everyone. The USAID people say there is a deal of salt in this water table.

Digging a well can't be expensive but a pump might be. There might also be issues about treating it versus the town system which claims to treat it. At the very least its a safe resource for garden and farm water.

I'm interested in more information when and if you have time.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I spent a very interesting train journey between London and York nearly 30 years ago in conversation with a European engineer who had been very involved in the construction of the Aswan High Dam.

He volunteered the information that shallow wells would not only be likely to be salty, but that they would harbour diseases that would be difficult to remove under primitive conditions currently available to the poor communities.

He also pointed out that the turbines installed on the dam all had the same "shelf life" and installing even one would take considerable time and resources. He was really worried about the future effects on the lives of Egyptian people.
Smile! It confuses people
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well, if one travels down The Desert road one will see feddans/acres of desert land under cultivation.
It's all down to water, out there the water is under so much pressure one doesn't even need pumps.
One just needs to dig a deep hole..
On the High Dam, those Russian turbines are well over their useful sell-by date..... 8)
Ps: I still think that the next big world war will be over Water.
Sophocles.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Absolutely agree with your PS Doctor.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

One only has to remember the plans for the Nile upstream that will affect Egypt eventually, with one quarter of it's length flowing through it. Unfortunately for Egypt, it's the last quarter.

Cape Town, South Africa is in absolutely dire crisis right now.

We have problems here with rivers flowing through more than one state, with arguments as to who should have a greater allocation of water as there's major agriculture surrounding them, and lately some users have been discovered flouting the laws big time.
Carpe diem! :le:
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Who2 no two artesian systems are the same. However the Australian system, two or three times the geographical size of Egypt, waters millions of sheep and cattle as well as families who live in remote Australia. Whilst there have been some very recent problems with certain parasites infecting children who have cooled themselves under a spray it is generally used for human consumption. Families might take steps to purify the water. In a number of cases its used as a source of agriculrural water for food production.

My pint is this. Sensible people can use artesian water for human and commercial purposes at minimal cost but subject to regulation which ensures the asset is not exhausted or contaminated. The idea that Luxor artesian water is dangerous to humans can only mean that foreign particles have got into the system and bureaucrats have failed. There should be no reason why ground water is bad unless the government is bad. If the groundwater is bad and if the level of the groundwater is high, which it is, this must mean that the plants are contaminated with the elements in the groundwater. Not a good story.

As ever we rely on the superb Nobel prize winning scientific and water skills of the Government of Egypt. Lets get some Germans in to check - note the recent poison in green-leaf food exports to the Gulf which are not the first nor the last.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well my pint [sic] of water comes from 45 meters down it still doesn't work properly even after 10 years.
We argue over filters and mud.
Any how, I will get the 'aged well-digger back and we will have a big party as they withdraw 45 meters of pipe and try again.
I once had a map of the aquifers below Luxor but lost it years ago.
I also have a 5 point Nasser / NASA filtering system that is usually serviced monthly, but I think the servicer crashed his motorbike, again!.......

Egypt the “Gift of the Nile"........'Water walter everywhere, it just don't taste like it auota!
I cannot believe that this Nation, that treats their canals and Nile as they do,
'they all need a good kick in the head to realise
'That they don't know what they've got. Till it's gone.
They paved paradise. And put up a parking lot.
They took all the trees. Put 'em in a tree museum. And they charged the people. A dollar and a
...ect..
Sounds just like Luxor.............
Museums ? more than enough. "What about our water Walter ?......... 8)
Ps: Many nice Friday afternoon tea & crumpet diners down at JJ's...........
Pss: I did not indulge as I am on a liquid only diet, tonight I'Tonya & marinated langoustines.......vegans? f***em..
Sophocles.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Apart from the vegan bit I agree with you Doctor. I know some very nice vegans, they aren't all evangelical tub thumpers. Peace man - feel the love :a31: