A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7328 times
Gender:
Thailand

A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Dusak » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:43 pm

I met up with my friends from the UK last night at the Italian pizza only to discover that they had opened a new restaurant next door. Unfortunately can't remember the name. I was told that it serves American style pizza, sandwiches and quality burgers, a completely different menu from Roma Pizza. looked nice inside and had a few tourists in. So wish them well and just hope their investment eventually pays off. The food we had was excellent.


Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3182
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:31 pm
Has thanked: 969 times
Been thanked: 3446 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by BENNU » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:25 pm

Dusak wrote:Unfortunately can't remember the name.
It is called Mama Mia.

User avatar
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:45 am
Has thanked: 266 times
Been thanked: 539 times
Gender:
Cyprus

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Major Thom » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:04 am

Here we go again!! :lol:

User avatar
crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:54 am
Location: Birmingham UK
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 252 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by crewmeal » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:17 am

MT why do you have to 'pour scorn' on something positive that happens in Luxor? I've noticed that you are so negative about comments folk raise on here.

May be it's the nature of the beast!

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2136
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:19 am
Location: Luxor/UK/Ibiza
Has thanked: 4714 times
Been thanked: 2357 times
Spain

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Mad Dilys » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:49 pm

It's hard for Major Thom. He had visited Luxor before he decided to move here and willingly gave advice to visitors and residents about Living in Luxor. He moved on to be excited about where he was going to erect his Ideal Home, at first being very discrete and then enthusiastic about it.

I don't know why that idea was ditched but suddenly he built a house in Djorf. The primary boasting, which is natural was soon replaced by dismay about quite a few things, fortunately he could let off steam on this forum, which I hope helped him before he decided to go to Australia

Again his enthusiasm ran away with him and in the middle of telling us about all things Australian he suddenly turned up in Cyprus full of even more enthusiasm!

I think the fact that so many of us love Luxor and the people here, living amongst the local people successfully he finds really hard to take. It's only a failure because he won't let go and move on, really enjoying his pastures new.


I wish him well and hope that he has at last found a place to be happy without any lingering resentment.
Smile! It confuses people

User avatar
Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 6689
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Snitzel
Has thanked: 1475 times
Been thanked: 5301 times
Gender:
Vietnam

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Who2 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:07 pm

As soon as MT starting explaining to us just how he was going to build his villa and he was going to employ Polish builders.
We already knew he was on a road to no-where, would he listen ? would he f*ck.
So we watched, we laughed, we saw his downfall.
Nothing quite like an expert extrapolating on how to suck eggs... 8)
Next!
Ps: Quote:I wish him well and hope that he has at last found a place to be happy without any lingering resentment.
'Having already made the big mistake by relocating to the wrong bit of Cyprus.....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

User avatar
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:45 am
Has thanked: 266 times
Been thanked: 539 times
Gender:
Cyprus

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Major Thom » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:37 am

Mama Mia
Here we go Again
Ha Ha
Through from the day we started
Leaving us broken hearted.

God you lot are so far behind in music now you probably would not do well at all in the real world. It seems so much sadness has broken out, that a little bit of light hearted banter now gets condemned. Just goes to show a warren could write on here and get rave reviews....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have said so many times but will repeat it again, I do not resent Luxor at all, it was an adventure, and maybe if it was not for the 2 revolutions we may not have left. But at our ages medicare is very important, the sight of poverty makes people sick, the fact you can not get most things anymore is a shambles, the visa situation etc etc, there are so many things wrong with the place now, that not living there far out stripped the reasons for living there for us. We were lucky and could escape once we had sold our property, we also had enough cash to leave and go where we wanted, and not have to wait until the time came where family aid would be required to leave.

Gopha75
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:19 am
Has thanked: 933 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Gopha75 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:23 am

"the sight of poverty makes people sick",.. well, well, well.
Enjoy your boy bands, you deserve them !

User avatar
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3182
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:31 pm
Has thanked: 969 times
Been thanked: 3446 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by BENNU » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:54 am

Major Thom wrote:Mama Mia
Here we go Again
Ha Ha
Through from the day we started
Leaving us broken hearted.

God you lot are so far behind in music now you probably would not do well at all in the real world.
It is: Mamma Mia, here I go again (1975)

Yes, I've been broken hearted
blue since the day we parted

We may be far behind in music, but in the real world, there is a new restaurant.

User avatar
crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:54 am
Location: Birmingham UK
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 252 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by crewmeal » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:03 am

But at our ages medicare is very important, the sight of poverty makes people sick, the fact you can not get most things anymore is a shambles, the visa situation etc etc, there are so many things wrong with the place now, that not living there far out stripped the reasons for living there for us.
But surely you knew that before you moved here? Were you hoping for an International Boots on Television Street? An M & S? (yes there are International ones) Poundland? yes there's a branch everywhere you go under different disguises.

'I'm leaving on a jet plane' comes to mind!

Enjoy your day.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2136
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:19 am
Location: Luxor/UK/Ibiza
Has thanked: 4714 times
Been thanked: 2357 times
Spain

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Mad Dilys » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:28 am

Boy Bands? Think Adele, Taylor Swift. Ed Sheeran. There's only two boy bands in the Top 10 current artists and they are BTS at number 6 and Maroon 5 at number 7.


There's a very broad spectrum of popular music at the moment Adele of course, Southern Soul. Taylor Swift Country Pop and Rock. Ed Sheeran Hip Hop. My favourites are Ed Sheeran and Adele according to my mood of the moment.


Never much liked Boy Bands after the '90s but again there is a difference between the two current popular boy bands BTS is Hip Hop and Maroon Jazz rap which I prefer.


Welcome to the real music scene MT.
Smile! It confuses people

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7042
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am
Has thanked: 2030 times
Been thanked: 5942 times
Egypt

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by newcastle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 am

crewmeal wrote:
But at our ages medicare is very important, the sight of poverty makes people sick, the fact you can not get most things anymore is a shambles, the visa situation etc etc, there are so many things wrong with the place now, that not living there far out stripped the reasons for living there for us.
But surely you knew that before you moved here? Were you hoping for an International Boots on Television Street? An M & S? (yes there are International ones) Poundland? yes there's a branch everywhere you go under different disguises.

'I'm leaving on a jet plane' comes to mind!

Enjoy your day.
The fact that MT didn't notice the poverty, lack of medical facilities - indeed all the other negative aspects of life in Egypt/Luxor - before he upped sticks and moved here defies rational explanation. He'd holidayed here regularly. Maybe he didn't realise there'd be a difference between swanning around in a 5 star hotel and fending for yourself on the West Bank.

"But that would be monumentally stupid!" I hear you say. Could anyone be that thick ??

Apparently so...at least in MT's case.

So, perhaps to cover his embarrassment, he tries to paint the picture that , somehow, it's Luxor which has changed, and anyone staying here is either too poor to move or in denial.

Then again, maybe the feelings of guilt in having destroyed his perfectly healthy dog, when taking it to Cyprus would have been quite simple, have twisted his mind.

User avatar
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:45 am
Has thanked: 266 times
Been thanked: 539 times
Gender:
Cyprus

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Major Thom » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:20 pm

It was not too bad when I moved to Luxor, the new Medical Centre in St. Joseph Street, where you could get insurance to cover your treatment until a spoke was put into the works. (Shot in the foot comes to mind) Loads of different food and brands available, plenty of English entertainment for those that wanted it, loads of work for the locals, (Boatmen, Caleshe Drivers, Taxi Drivers, Bars, and Good Restaurants) even the English run business's employed locals. According to some of the people living there now nothing has changed, all is Hunky Dory, plenty of variety, the price increases not too bad, medical facilities have improved, (In which case no one needs to go back to UK for treatment) I appreciate those that live there are under the hammer, under suspicion of all sorts, got no freedom of speech and therefore cannot really express what they really feel, I have heard it from friends who have come here on holiday so I understand. It must be hard for those who still have a business there, and are struggling to keep afloat, it must be hard for those unable to sell their homes due to the fact no one wants them, and without a sale they cannot move. But harder still is the Luxor Lovers who for some reason cannot return to the Luxor bubble that they love so much.... What will happen if there is another uprising and you are made to leave, what will happen to your homes, business's etc, or are you not bothered, more to the fact if you lost these would you want to return? Some life!!

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2136
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:19 am
Location: Luxor/UK/Ibiza
Has thanked: 4714 times
Been thanked: 2357 times
Spain

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Mad Dilys » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:22 pm

:a17: :a84: :58: :58:
Smile! It confuses people

User avatar
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member
Posts: 753
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Datca, Turkey
Has thanked: 5295 times
Been thanked: 863 times
Gender:
Turkey

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Yildez » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:39 pm

Mad Dilys wrote::a17: :a84: :58: :58:
Ad ifinitum!

User avatar
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
Posts: 11339
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 3059 times
Been thanked: 4283 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Hmm... I seem to remember that once upon a time, when an LP kept playing the same tune over and over again because the needle had got stuck in a groove, the treatment was to change the needle first to see if that would improve the situation but, when that failed, the only cure was to melt the record down and turn it into a plant pot or an ash tray.

Can't think why that would suddenly spring to mind!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7328 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Dusak » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Major Thom wrote:It was not too bad when I moved to Luxor, the new Medical Centre in St. Joseph Street, where you could get insurance to cover your treatment until a spoke was put into the works. (Shot in the foot comes to mind) Loads of different food and brands available, plenty of English entertainment for those that wanted it, loads of work for the locals, (Boatmen, Caleshe Drivers, Taxi Drivers, Bars, and Good Restaurants) even the English run business's employed locals. According to some of the people living there now nothing has changed, all is Hunky Dory, plenty of variety, the price increases not too bad, medical facilities have improved, (In which case no one needs to go back to UK for treatment) I appreciate those that live there are under the hammer, under suspicion of all sorts, got no freedom of speech and therefore cannot really express what they really feel, I have heard it from friends who have come here on holiday so I understand. It must be hard for those who still have a business there, and are struggling to keep afloat, it must be hard for those unable to sell their homes due to the fact no one wants them, and without a sale they cannot move. But harder still is the Luxor Lovers who for some reason cannot return to the Luxor bubble that they love so much.... What will happen if there is another uprising and you are made to leave, what will happen to your homes, business's etc, or are you not bothered, more to the fact if you lost these would you want to return? Some life!!
Non of use that live here on a permanent basis need reminding that its better not to comment on what your true thoughts are, but that's the case in a lot of countries, and you would be a fool to cut off your nose just to spite your face as the saying goes. We that have property here also know that it would be difficult to sell, but as you demonstrated, anything can sell if the price is right for the buyer, so if anyone wanted to escape this ''miserable existence,'' then its there for the taking, there being many other lands you could settle offering a far better life than this country if you came to that conclusion. And let us not forget, mainly because you will not allow it to be forgotten, you lost your first property money before the first brick was laid and you were forced to sell your villa for half its true value, so in fact, you can give your property away over here, cos you did, adding both losses up.

In my case, all that I own here with a start purchase price of £110,000 + an estimated extra spend of £20,000 over the ten or so years, I could quite happily walk away with £35,000 for the lot. I would survive, be comfortable until I drop dead. But at the moment I do not want to do so. As you constantly state, there is zero entertainment here now, but who needs entertainment to live a comfortable life? Not I, nor do I think many others need it as they have a social circle, a thing that you and your wife did not enjoy here, as you yourself stated then, and still do now, ''you didn't mix with the likes of us.'' But now you suddenly do. And do not dismiss the chance that in the coming years, the political attitudes towards expats, inflamed by locals that may consider them leaches because they themselves are struggling to cope, could quite easily burst your bubble.

Healthcare here has improved, especially for us as we can afford it, a sad fact in regards to many locals, but still a fact, and some of us here do help our Egyptian friends out when we see a genuine need.

In regards to the expat owned businesses here, they know the time of 'land of plenty' has almost gone forever, but they still cling on, not because they have to, but they understand that their Egyptian staff, Egyptian staff that they are legally obliged to employ, that many have employed for years, need their support via the wages that still get paid customers or not, my friend Russell always found his staff wages even when he went for long periods without any custom.

But one thing that is indisputable, is evidence of fact. The periods of your complaints that you are constantly bombarding us with now, your negative observations, past and how you see it presently, are all within the same time frame when you made your now infamous YT vlogg bestowing the virtues of living here, imploring tourists to give it a shot and how happy you and your wife were living here. But what you were really pleading for was that someone please buy my house so we can leave this s*** hole of a place. So lies easily ran from your lips, but of course, you could only speak the real truth as you ''saw'' it when you were safely living in another country.

In conclusion, we all know, and expect, that you will carry on regardless with your nonsensical tirades of doom and gloom, attempting to persuade us how to relearn how to suck eggs, but it will all be to no avail, we all saw the light as you unpacked your very first suitcase in good old Luxor and suddenly realized that you had forgotten to pack you much needed chocolate digestives.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:45 am
Has thanked: 266 times
Been thanked: 539 times
Gender:
Cyprus

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Major Thom » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:08 am

I like most of you fell for it then "D", if you know your not there permanently why invest in property, keep your cash in the bank and enjoy your life. My biggest mistake was not realising this.

I also realised that I had no intentions of loosing more money by having purchased property there and therefore cold not speak what I thought until sold, just like most people!! The pressure of having sold and not owning property in Luxor is like having the hangmans noose released. Yes in 8 years I learned more than in the previous 56 put together.

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7328 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Dusak » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:54 am

We were no different than all the others that invested in property here al those years back, certain that this was our final destination, but who could of foreseen two revolutions in the pipeline. And I've stated a number if times it is now something I've come to regret doing, but it was hard to shake off the old adage of an English mans home is his castle. But at least, by choice, I'm not going to be 'stuck' with it if I choose not to be. So I still sleep easily at nights.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2659
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:45 am
Has thanked: 266 times
Been thanked: 539 times
Gender:
Cyprus

Re: A bit of new tourist investment for Luxor

Post by Major Thom » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:46 pm

I know it can be worrying though "D" there are so many hoping to sell and there are even some getting depressed by not being able to sell. We were ourselves, in fact I have mentioned we became prisoners in our villa not wanting to go out or do anything. A lot depends on ones take on things, I too used to have the attitude an English Mans home is his castle, now all that thinking has gone, our family is grown up and like they say enjoy what you have while you can. That's what we do. I know full well I will not be around too much longer, but while I can enjoy life I will.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Tourist Murdered in Luxor
    by Glyphdoctor » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:15 am » in Visiting Luxor
    13 Replies
    808 Views
    Last post by Brian Yare
    Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:10 am
  • Price cut for Luxor Tourist Pass
    by HEPZIBAH » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:46 pm » in Visiting Luxor
    11 Replies
    199 Views
    Last post by HEPZIBAH
    Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:31 am
  • US tourist arrested over stabbing Luxor resident
    by newcastle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:54 am » in Living in Luxor
    0 Replies
    104 Views
    Last post by newcastle
    Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:54 am
  • New investment law
    by Brian Yare » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:21 am » in Know Egypt
    0 Replies
    128 Views
    Last post by Brian Yare
    Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:21 am
  • British Tourist Accuses 3 of Molesting Her in Luxor Temple
    by HEPZIBAH » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:30 pm » in Visiting Luxor
    21 Replies
    361 Views
    Last post by Dusak
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:06 pm