Claiming State Pension

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

AladdinSane

Claiming State Pension

Post by AladdinSane »

Is it possible to claim a British State Pension whilst living in Egypt?

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Claiming State Pension

Post by Horus »

Please be more precise, do you mean can you claim your UK State Pension even though you are living full time in Egypt?
Or are you asking if it is possible to make the actual claim (i.e. dealing with any paperwork) whilst living in Egypt?
AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane »

To claim a UK State Pension whilst living full time in Egypt.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Yes it is, I see your post was from UK, make sure you get your settled before you go to Egypt. You realise you will not get any yearly increases I suppose, because your pension payment becomes frozen.

My wife claimed state pension for all the 8 years we lived there but the payment never altered until we moved to where we live now. She then received a 90GBP increase and gets all the yearly increases and Christmas bonus. I am in receipt of my state pension here and again get yearly increases and Christmas bonus.

If you have a works pension as well and the amount of income comes to more than your tax free limit you will be entitled to pay tax in UK at the going rate has so to speak.

You can also make a State Pension claim while living in Egypt but for some reason it takes longer, for a start don't trust the Postal service to get your information to the UK, that can take up to 6 weeks, and if you use a courier such as DHL its quick but very expensive, I posted a mail with DHL to the tax Man and it cost the equivalent of 32GBP
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote: You can also make a State Pension claim while living in Egypt but for some reason it takes longer.
You should make your claim for State Pension at least SIX MONTHS before the actual official date of retirement. Remember the date of official retirement time has now changed for both male and female.

There is an official government calculator on the website to help, also a aged persons bus pass depending on where your official home (it benefits to always have an official U.K. home) is within England and Wales.
AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane »

Thanks for the info.

I didn't realise the pension 'froze'. This must explain why some UK pensioners live in Egypt during the winter months and return home during the summer - I guess this would allow them to receive the annual increases and bonuses?

I suppose one could live in Egypt without declaring it - this would allow the continuation of the annual increases and bonuses. The UK pension could be withdrawn from an ATM with nobody any the wiser.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Just started to receive mine. Two things to consider, they will deduct 20 percent of your payable pension if you state you live here, plus they only pay your pension in Le, so I, at the moment am loosing between £10/£15 per four week cycle because they do not give the official exchange rates quoted at the time of payment. Plus they will not allow you to have your money paid into a friends or relatives account so they can arrange to get it transferred over here to you in Stirling, they suggested that it could be seen as money laundering, even though their forms clearly state that you can do this. At the moment I'm waiting on my appeal to be answered regarding these points. If you have an active UK bank account, use it, not one here, you may even get away with not loosing the 20 percent as I and two friends are suffering.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

As people can see from Dusak's above statement with regards entitlement to the full State Pension, H.M. Government have over some years now have seen right to change the rules as they call them , in most case they are being, shall we say 'economical with the truth'. The sad truth here is that the wealthy know full well what their entitlement is, and claim in full. There is a way of general 'avoidance' to ensure any person can get FULL entitlement of their State Pension no matter where they live in the world. I find it very sad that in the U.K. there is one law for the rich, and a bad one for the economical poor, who are actually told they are evading the law, which would be in the sight of the law, illegal.

It is really very sad that many people see the State Pension today as a benefit rather than something that they have paid for all their lives, therefore one should be careful of declaring too much to H.M.Government.

Most of my life I have lived out of the U.K., but when there I did charity work for the old soldiers of WW1, and WW2. in one particular case I remember being able to get a gentleman's pension increased almost five fold, the excuse given by the government official that the applicant had not filled the form in correctly five years earlier. In the end his claim was fully back dated, that certainly would not happen today.

Today, unemployed people are deliberately given no advise what so ever, that is probably why we have so many homelessness people throughout the U. K. At the moment we have record employment, God only knows what a recession will bring.

Anyone who will soon retire and live in the likes of Egypt, should seek professional economical advice before informing Her Britannic Majesty's Government of their future plans.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I think you are correct A4 leaving the EU Countries, and going to live in Egypt, professional help should be sought.
AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane »

Thanks for everyone's advice.

With regard to Dusak's advice; I do have an active UK bank account and that's the acccount I would wish my state pension to be paid into.

With regard to A-Four's advice; that I should seek professional economical advice before informing Her Britannic Majesty's Government of my future plans - that brings me back to the point I made earlier in this thread: What if a person didn't declare to the British gov that he/she had retired to Egypt? Surely a UK pension could be withdrawn from an ATM in Egypt (UK bank account) with the British gov being none the wiser that that person was living in Egypt.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

They cannot deny you your state pension however if you did not tell them where you live they may well do so. I always banked in UK and had my pensions paid into the UK bank if you had it paid to an Egyptian Bank it takes a few days longer to reach your account. Then used my UK Debit card to get money in Egypt. Definitely a NO NO not to tell the pension service your real address. They have recently been checking on pensioners real address's, and every now and then you have to fill in a life certificate so they will know where you live.
AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane »

It's not as if they're giving me anything - I've worked most of my life and have paid NI contributions and taxes. Mmmm...looks like I'll be missing out on the annual increases if I do decide to leave Blighty...I'll probably have to find some part-time work to boost my income. I believe, in the UK, a person can claim a British state pension but continue to work after he/she reaches retirement age - would this be the case in Egypt too?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

AladdinSane, to work in Egypt you will require a Work Permit. This is usually organised by the employer, however many employers do not want to go to the trouble of doing this, especially for part time employees. At least that is the impression I have been given over the years. Of course, I cannot state this is 100% the case, it would depend on very much on the type of employment and your skills ability to meet the need.

You really do need to keep on doing your research before you commit yourself to too much. You don't want to have to take on the UK and Egyptian governments just for the sake of a dream. :a80:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

AladdinSane wrote:Thanks for everyone's advice.

With regard to Dusak's advice; I do have an active UK bank account and that's the acccount I would wish my state pension to be paid into.

With regard to A-Four's advice; that I should seek professional economical advice before informing Her Britannic Majesty's Government of my future plans - that brings me back to the point I made earlier in this thread: What if a person didn't declare to the British gov that he/she had retired to Egypt? Surely a UK pension could be withdrawn from an ATM in Egypt (UK bank account) with the British gov being none the wiser that that person was living in Egypt.
I used the online forms to claim, posting them by registered post, [700Le] If you use a bank card to withdraw money from an ATM here, it is only paid out in Le. If you still have an address in the UK then you can use that as your main residence, but presumably you would then still have to pay your utility bills attached to that property unless you stated you where living with family, not a home you owned. If you state that you live in Egypt you will loose entitlement to any increases or bonuses. If you leave Egypt for over a week and go to any EU country, then you can claim your full entitlement for that period, don't know what evidence they require to prove this as it was one of my questions on my appeal letter. I do not know what questions you have to answer if in the UK, but they did want to know my main place of residence. Also do not know if they take you out at dawn and shoot you if they discover you have told a couple of porkies concerning this point. :lol: I've just discovered that I will have to prove that I'm still alive and well and still living in Egypt once every 12/18 months, don't know how they are going to do this unless its just a phone call with a password or personal details.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Typical Luxor resident "D" You have lived there too long among cheats and scroungers....You should not be leading people on by telling them the illegal ways. :lol: It is simple really you either live in Egypt on a tourist visa or live in the UK be a resident of the UK. People always get caught out in the end.

At least you said that cheats get hung drawn and quartered if caught, and now the departments are reeling in these people. :lol: :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I think its an illegal act to deduct an ex working mans pension to the tune of £150 every four weeks. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the UK pensioners that currently reside in EU countries will all so fall victim to this when the UK finally leaves. After all, what's good for the goose is good for the gander as the saying goes.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Unless there is a hard Brexit "D" we have already been told our pensions and increases still stand, by the British Consulate here. Where we live though is just inside British Territory so if that will effect things I do not know. What I do know is there will be hell to play if the British Services here get different treatment. They already get tax free vehicles, and that is a huge amount of cash, when they return home they sell them and the new buyer is charged the tax. Regarding tax we like I have said before get a tax free allowance of 17,500 GBP and anything more than that is taxed at 5% So big benefits if you become a Cypriot Tax Payer, of course the other benefit if you are a pensioner you have access to free and excellent European Health Care. I know it will be hot in Luxor now but, for the last month it has been 40C-42C most days.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

Dusak proof that your still alive and kicking was form that was certified by a solicitor on proof of identity. Talking 5 years ago now perhaps your form is still on its way to :tk or returned back as they couldn't find your letterbox :lol:
It is what it is.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I believe that "Life Certificate's" have been sent out to Pensioners living overseas over the past 3 weeks giving you 16 weeks to return the form, we have received ours. The Accountant who owns our small complex usually signs them free of charge. He is pretty good like that and very helpful.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

dsaxelby wrote:Dusak proof that your still alive and kicking was form that was certified by a solicitor on proof of identity. Talking 5 years ago now perhaps your form is still on its way to :tk or returned back as they couldn't find your letterbox :lol:
I've done that much polite 'effing and blinding over the phone, including my friend in the UK concerning the loss of my personal papers, unlawful deductions and incorrect exchange rates, they probably wish that I was dead. :lol: