Opera Aida - 2019

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Opera Aida - 2019

Post by A-Four » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Just a quick message to let those who are interested, the opera Aida will be performed on the 22nd to 24th October at Luxor's Hatshepsuit Temple, West Bank. Unfortunately, according to the Minister for Tourisum ALL tickets are sold out.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:30 am

I would be highly surprised if all tickets have been sold for this event. It sounds more like the typical Egyptian bluff and bluster to me. That being said, I hope it is a sell out event and enjoyed by all who attend.

Fairly recently, I again started thinking about attending it - having been put off earlier in the year by the overall poor publicity/ advertising, and communication...not to mention the prices. I also again talked myself out of it.

I hope that the reviews are favourable.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Moonstone
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Moonstone » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 am

A-Four - According to the website and local information, the dates are 26th and 28th October. Where did you get your information?
Nil desperandum

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 am

Moonstone wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 am
A-Four - According to the website and local information, the dates are 26th and 28th October. Where did you get your information?
Beat me to it!! :)))

Certainly 26th-28th October according to everything I can find on the dreaded internet.

I suspect A-Four got his information from Al Ahram.....that well known bastion of accuracy. :lol:

Always pays to cross-check with that particular rag.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:22 pm

I also looked up the official web site and also found that plenty of tickets are still available in all price ranges.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:38 pm

newcastle wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 am

Certainly 26th-28th October according to everything I can find on the dreaded internet.
AH but did you check Wikipedia :lol:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm

DJKeefy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:38 pm
newcastle wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 am

AH but did you check Wikipedia :lol:
I did as it happens!

That’s where I found the link to Al Ahram....and its erroneous article. :lol:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Moonstone wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 am
Well spotted. I was so bamboozled by the declaration that the event was a sell out that I missed the dates.

Under the circumstances, I think it would be true to say that there are no tickets available - for the dates as given by A-Four. ;)
-Aldous Huxley

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:23 pm

A-Four wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:53 pm
Just a quick message to let those who are interested, the opera Aida will be performed on the 22nd to 24th October at Luxor's Hatshepsuit Temple, West Bank. Unfortunately, according to the Minister for Tourisum ALL tickets are sold out.
Sorry about the delay in answering the above statement, but I am sure you will understand that I do not make my life revolve around this forum, that I am informed certain people do, having said that, when I did post on here, I was first informed by a friend who lives in Asswan.

Apparently, the information came via two media outlets in Egypt, both being Egyptian government organs,..........so, in the future if and when the next major revolution s*^t hits the fan, you best be aware of the BBC or CNN,........oh and just to make sure, you must have hard currency for your Scheduled flight out of Egypt, no Mickey Mouse LE, or credit or debit cards,..........funny you only know this after the fan gets hit.

Is it the case these days that the Egyptian government control EVERYTHING.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:48 pm

A-Four wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:23 pm
.....oh and just to make sure, you must have hard currency for your Scheduled flight out of Egypt, no Mickey Mouse LE, or credit or debit cards,..........funny you only know this after the fan gets hit.
Oh gawd....what’s he on about now?? :ni:

Any ideas anyone?

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:06 pm

Not really sure, maybe there is some confusion between "being logged on" and actually spending all ones time on a foruum. I switch on my PC most mornings and I am automatically Logged On because I rarely ever Log Out, in the same way that I may have a web page search engine open such as Yahoo or Google. I could also be logged into other sites or forums that I may have an interest in. However it does not translate as me being online all day long, many who are computer illiterate seem to confuse being 'logged on' with actually being active on that particular forum. I may be doing many other things during the day, even when on holiday as I was all of last week, but I can still drop in to read or moderate the latest posts and that may take just a few minutes. My PC is never really off unless I leave the house and I suspect that many other people will do the same, during the day it just sits there ready for action as and when I require it to do some work because it is a tool and like many others I suspect that they are also using their computer to perform a multitude of tasks and that browsing one particular forum is only a minor part of their daily lives or computer usage. Seeing a name at the bottom of the index page only means that person has not logged out, it does not as some believe mean they are actively browsing the forum. Just for fun over on the Gold side I used to run a teaching course on photography and photo manipulation which I believe was very popular with those involved, maybe we could run a similar one on here for basic computer literacy to help those who struggle to understand how stuff works. :up

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:32 pm

What about when someone on here posts up to THIRTEEN TIMES a days, or in most cases, often with just enough time to check wiki, before posting. :wi .

Sure you know what I mean there Horus. :wi .

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:38 am

newcastle wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:48 pm
A-Four wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:23 pm
.....oh and just to make sure, you must have hard currency for your Scheduled flight out of Egypt, no Mickey Mouse LE, or credit or debit cards,..........funny you only know this after the fan gets hit.
Oh gawd....what’s he on about now?? :ni:

Any ideas anyone?
Sorry Horus

This is the post that puzzled me....well ....a little.

I suppose I should be used to nonsense posts from A-Four, and ignore them (same goes for MT).

Your previous post concerning being “logged on” seems to be in response to a post (from A-Four I’m guessing)....but I cannot see any such post.
Last edited by newcastle on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:51 am

A-Four wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:32 pm
What about when someone on here posts up to THIRTEEN TIMES a days, or in most cases, often with just enough time to check wiki, before posting. :wi .

I’d be more concerned - from a mental health point of view - about someone who regularly counts the number of times a member posts , or checks every day whether that member is “logged on”. :)))

I’d be even more concerned when it’s someone who adamantly maintains they don’t read the said member’s posts.

Stalkers have been locked up for less !!

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 am

A-Four wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:32 pm

Actually A4 I don't.
Why should a member not comment on another post or thread if they wish? Granted there are occasions when someone will deliberately try to start an argument by saying black is white, but to hold an opposite opinion is not wrong provided you can back it up. There are some that feel the need to comment on every thread regardless of the subject, but providing they are making a contribution then they keep the forum active, better that than just reading and making no contribution at all. You can and do write some interesting posts about your time in Egypt, if those stories are true then no amount of searching on sites such as Wiki can argue with you, but if you make a particular statement and others feel it is incorrect then what is the problem in pointing that out? In order to have an opinion about any subject you must first of all know something about it, so if for example you were to claim that the Great Sphinx belonged to Khafre you may well be correct. However many other theories abound from Khufu to Djedefre being the builders and each one has its merits. Do yourself a favour and read the Wiki entry for ‘The Great Sphinx’ and tell me that it is not a good source of information regarding the currently known facts, therefore anyone could use that information to support their own pet theory. Of course the big caveat is that not everything found on the internet is fact, but providing you know enough about the subject yourself then it can be a good research tool.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:15 am

Well, there is a more up to date version of Aida, Written by Elton John and Tim Rice.

Some great songs in there even if you dont like all the Artists who sing them.
Easily availabe on Youtube to watch and listen to. I bought the album a while back..

"Another Pyramid" – Sting
"Written in the Stars" – Elton John/LeAnn Rimes
"Easy as Life" – Tina Turner featuring Angelique Kidjo
"My Strongest Suit" – Spice Girls
"I Know the Truth" – Elton John/Janet Jackson
"Not Me" – Boyz II Men
"Amneris' Letter" – Shania Twain
"A Step Too Far" – Elton John/Heather Headley/Sherie Scott
"Like Father Like Son" – Lenny Kravitz
"Elaborate Lives" – Heather Headley
"How I Know You" – James Taylor
"The Messenger" – Elton John/Lulu
"The Gods Love Nubia" – Kelly Price
"Enchantment Passing Through" – Dru Hill
"Orchestral Finale" – Elton John

It was them modified and truned into a succesful Broadway musical, again, worth listening to..

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Back to Opera Aida in Luxor... (I know there are more recent threads but as I started this thread at the time of the opera's announcement I thought I'd resurrect it.)

So, tonight's the night. The first of the two performances of Aida at the Temple of Hatsheput. I really do hope that it goes well, and is well attended. I also hope that the audience behave appropriately. When I think of video's I've seen of various performances taking place in Egypt over the years, with members of the audience roaming around; taking photographs; chatting loudly on their phones or together; etc. I shudder slightly at the thought of how some could well behave at a performance of opera - no matter how much the seat price.

All that being said, I am reflecting on my own decision not to be there right now. A large part of me wanted to attend from the moment I first saw it advertised. Unfortunately, the initial set up and communication process really put me off. I kept my options open. I checked flights at one point and I wasn't sure then if was the opera ticket price or the flight price that put me off. I was also mindful of personal and work commitments and the difficulty of getting enough time of work to make it all possible. Ironically, although funds are available and, at the 11th hour, with a bit of juggling, I might have been able to make it, but I'm not prepared to spend the increased costs of a last minute flight.
I may well have missed the performance of a lifetime - I'll never really know.

I look forward to reading the reviews.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:37 pm

I once asked Sting when he played the Pyramids 'did you go inside ?
'No, he said 'but we got loads of our kit stolen. Me: 'Yeh well it's Egypt you had crap roadies.. 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:30 pm

Here 'tis:

Carpe diem! :le: