Strange insects cause panic in Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Strange insects cause panic in Luxor

Post by DJKeefy »

An abundant spread of unidentified insects caused terror to the residents in the center of Luxor.

Doctor "Atef Ahmed", Deputy of Veterinary Medicine in Luxor, confirmed that the people in the area of ​​Henry Street, branching from the Mustafa Kamel area east of Luxor, reported the presence of dense and strange insects in the streets suddenly without reasons, which caused a state of panic among the street residents.

Immediately, a security group, supported by a team of veterinary medicine, moved in, and they noticed the presence of insects that resemble ticks, spreading abundantly in the street and while trying to deal with them with pesticides was no way to eliminate them was successful.

The veterinary agent added that it is strange that insects exist in a dense variety, and that this is an unrecognized species, and is located in the vicinity of rams, which caused doubts about the influx of insects from an archaeological place, and that after the failure to eliminate them with regular pesticides, it is planned to prepare a compound that will become more sophisticated to eliminate the thick spread of that insect.

Source : akhbarelbalad.org

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Strange insects cause panic in Luxor

Post by HEPZIBAH »

What a shame they did not publish any photographs of these mystery insects. It would be interesting to see them and more likely someone could identify them.

The new mixture they intend to use to exterminate these insects with sounds lethal. I just hope it will not harm humans too. I remember the awful stuff they used to spray, and possibly still do, in the streets which could take your breath away and bring tears to your eyes. That was bad enough.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX »

The cockroaches are getting ready to take over Luxor.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

Oh dear lol!!

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I came across a new caterpillar this morning in my garden and wondered if anyone has any idea what it is. It was new to me – about 6” long and about 1” wide, a greeny brown colour. At first I thought it was a small snake, but it was segmented, and where snakes slither in a sideways motion, this moved up and down a segment at a time like a caterpillar. Fascinated though I was, I relocated it over the wall. Any ideas anyone?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:58 am
I came across a new caterpillar this morning in my garden and wondered if anyone has any idea what it is. It was new to me – about 6” long and about 1” wide, a greeny brown colour. At first I thought it was a small snake, but it was segmented, and where snakes slither in a sideways motion, this moved up and down a segment at a time like a caterpillar. Fascinated though I was, I relocated it over the wall. Any ideas anyone?
Quite a whopper!

Without a picture it’s impossible to say but my guess, based on size, would be a hawk moth.....possibly the elephant hawk moth (see below) or oleander hawk moth. Both species can be found in Egypt.
38E9F460-A495-4AB2-BBD3-1A95530FD916.jpeg
The colour varies quite a lot.....green/ brown....and they often have noticeable “eye spots” and a horn- like protuberance at tail end. But not always.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Thank you Newcastle - yes the picture above does resemble the one in my garden.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:24 am
hatusu wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:58 am
Quite a whopper!

Without a picture it’s impossible to say but my guess, based on size, would be a hawk moth.....possibly the elephant hawk moth (see below) or oleander hawk moth. Both species can be found in Egypt.

38E9F460-A495-4AB2-BBD3-1A95530FD916.jpeg

The colour varies quite a lot.....green/ brown....and they often have noticeable “eye spots” and a horn- like protuberance at tail end. But not always.
These critters are very destructive to the roots of plants, I've had a few of them. One fascinating fact about them is their defensive actions when grabbed, believe it or not, they omit a high pitched "scream" I picked 3 of them off a dragon palm using two sticks as I had no idea if they secreted a poisonous reflex action. Their grip on the branches was amazingly strong, then the screaming started. Nearly crapped meself lol.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:05 pm

These critters are very destructive to the roots of plants, I've had a few of them. One fascinating fact about them is their defensive actions when grabbed, believe it or not, they omit a high pitched "scream" I picked 3 of them off a dragon palm using two sticks as I had no idea if they secreted a poisonous reflex action. Their grip on the branches was amazingly strong, then the screaming started. Nearly crapped meself lol.
Thought Dusak was having us on......then found this :

https://www.livescience.com/61868-cater ... olved.html

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy »

Seeing as the boffins are out identifying creatures, how about the following beastie? He was about 2 inches long, and I found him (dead) under a carpet on our roof a couple of years ago and haven't had any luck in identifying him ever since.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Teddyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:26 pm
Seeing as the boffins are out identifying creatures, how about the following beastie? He was about 2 inches long, and I found him (dead) under a carpet on our roof a couple of years ago and haven't had any luck in identifying him ever since.
A most strange looking beastie, alien in origin perhaps lol. If you sent the image to the natural history museum I would imagine they could identify it. It would be interesting to find out what it was.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Teddyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:26 pm
Methinks it might be a mole cricket.
54673743-EE67-45A2-8341-7334A57D3D0E.jpeg

You don’t say whether you found it in Egypt or U.K....it’s pretty rare in the latter

Here’s another picture...the long things (on the back of the critter in your photo) I assume are wings.
793BC714-95BF-4A28-80A7-823A9FE3C37D.jpeg

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy »

That could well be it, thank you, newcastle.