The vaccine info/ what to expect

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: The vaccine info/ what to expect

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Blacksheep wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 am Why are you so interested in my advice/ post about the Covid vaccine,where to go,what to do if you have had your vaccines in the UK.
I'm not specifically interested in 'your' post. I have always had a general interest in all posts. Sometimes there arethings that are of soecific interest to me, sometimes not. Sometimes there are posts that are of no particular interest to me but I can share useful infirmation with others who do not use this forum.

My interest in this thread was held by, and my comments sparked by, the 'them and us attitude' which is still so often shown by expats.

I'm not quite sure why I am explaining myself, but a question was asked of me and I have answered.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

On my first jab I got there at 8.20am, only 2 people in front of me, going the same time on Friday. To be honest I'm not tempted to jump the Q, but when sat down I observed quite a few Egyptians pushing their way through to the front waving reams of paperwork. Q's in Egypt do tend to be every man for himself at times. Once sat down I seemed to be a curiosity to those Egyptians waiting and even then on 2 separate occasions 2 men attempted to follow those shouted into the jab lab out of turn, but the guy in charge soon turned them back to their seats. Even Allah can not interfere in a who's next system lol.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Blacksheep
Egypt

Post by Blacksheep »

Dusak wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:35 am On my first jab I got there at 8.20am, only 2 people in front of me, going the same time on Friday. To be honest I'm not tempted to jump the Q, but when sat down I observed quite a few Egyptians pushing their way through to the front waving reams of paperwork. Q's in Egypt do tend to be every man for himself at times. Once sat down I seemed to be a curiosity to those Egyptians waiting and even then on 2 separate occasions 2 men attempted to follow those shouted into the jab lab out of turn, but the guy in charge soon turned them back to their seats. Even Allah can not interfere in a who's next system lol.
Exactly.
" Every man for himself" this is the way here,you are right.Despite how people " outside" want to sugar coat it.
After years here you become homed in on every trick in the book.
The statement of " them and us" does not wash with me.
I AM one of THEM! Not one of US.
I follow the Egyptian culture,sit with THEM day in/ day out and practice THEIR religion as well as communicating in THEIR language.I would never think that I was above these lovely people or demean THEM in anyway by queue jumping. However, I know I will always be the white European that will SOMETIMES be put first in many situations.IE.In my family home,I am given the best piece of lean meat,saved by Mother to one side,I am the one that receives a footah to put on my lap around the sofra.This isn't me,this is THEM showing their kindness and making me feel part of THEM.
I live as an Egyptian would,with my family, in the home for many many years.Living and breathing the Egyptian culture ,I do not do the expat meet up thing,havnt met up with one in years,prefer it that way.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Hepzibah may not live here but I know she has many friends both Egyptian and Ex pats who do.
I for one find her questions very helpful saves me quite often having to ask them myself and she has many times surprised me by her offering up useful information which I had missed.
As for preferential treatment, yes, we all often receive it often unwanted and unasked for, I hate it. Usually comes with a price though.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I think there is a big difference between being offered the courtesies that many Egyptians show Europeans, and taking advantage of them, in the way that many Europeans do.

Edit: For Europeans, read Europeans/foreigners/non Egyptians.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:32 pm Hepzibah may not live here but I know she has many friends both Egyptian and Ex pats who do.
I for one find her questions very helpful saves me quite often having to ask them myself and she has many times surprised me by her offering up useful information which I had missed.
As for preferential treatment, yes, we all often receive it often unwanted and unasked for, I hate it. Usually comes with a price though.
Thanks Carrie,
My contact with ExPats in Egypt has always been very limited, although I have known quite a few virtually to a greater or lesser degree, and still do, because initially of Luxor4U. Certainly my visits to Egypt have always been predominantly to spend time with my Egyptian friends, and adopted families. Sadly, so many of my older friends have passed on and the younger ones moved on with their work or families, the internet making it so much easier to keep in touch as and when we want to. The older I get the less I feel the need to return - but never say never. ;)
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Number 2 jab didn't go as well as the first. Straight in as there was no one at check in, but many inside waiting. The clinic is supposed to start at 9am, first time it was half an hour late, today was 1 hour twenty minutes late, plus the place was full of flies. At 11.30 my friend noted that many that had come in after me were on their way out having had their jabs so she went to see why I was still waiting. She told me that they had put my passport to one side without explanation, but a few sharp words off her got me in the cue. When sat down there was a lot of chatter between her and the guy that was recording the names. She only tells me what was said when back in the taxi. They had no record of me even though I recieved an email off them 2 days before the appointment reminding me of my appointment time. They asked her when I was last there, even though it was on the appointment card, but the worst of it is, they asked her what had I had the first time, instead of asking me she just told them she didn't know, so I was jabbed with I don't know what.
I went to pay for the travel document but was told that it was only valid for 6 months and as i had already mentioned i intended to travel in February they advised me to leave it until i knew what date i was travelling so it would still be in date. About the only good part of this visit. Only about half had a mask on and the place was really packed. I asked about a future booster but they couldn't give me an answer.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Dusak, re: Booster Jab
I understand there are changes again in the England regarding booster vaccine, and that people who already had appointments for the booster have had them cancelled.
I've not seen much news this week so missed any information there may have been on it.
As England doesn't know what it's doing regarding the boosters, I'm not surprised you haven't been given information about them yet.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

The present situation with regards the future booster injection which will be available from the end of September is to be available to acute chronic patients of all ages ONLY. Therefore as the position stands at the moment, the most elderly will not get the required further protection yet. I believe it is a matter of wait and see the strength of E and perhaps how serious F will be with the combination of the flu virus at maximum effect, usually at the beginning of January each year in the U.K.

With regards what I can only call the crazy carry on in Egypt, I will write more on here tomorrow, unless someone there brings it to our attention first.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

But Prof Anthony Harnden, the deputy chairman of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), said careful consideration was going into the timing of a third dose. He said the independent body would hand its advice to the government in the next few weeks.

Speaking on the Today programme on BBC Radio 4, Harnden said: “I think it’s highly likely that there will be a booster programme. It’s just a question of how we frame it. This will be decided over the next few weeks. I can’t definitively say that there will be, because we have not made that decision yet, but it is highly likely.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... third-dose

Back in August the JCVI were recommending that all over -50s should be given a booster jab....but, as Prof Harnden says, no decision on who, or when, has yet been made.

Not to be confused ( which A-Four seems to be) with the booster program is a decision to offer third doses to those with compromised immune systems.
Half a million people with severely weakened immune systems are to be offered third Covid vaccine shots in a move that will increase debate over the rollout of booster jabs for the wider population.

The NHS will provide third doses for those aged 12 and up who have severely compromised or suppressed immune systems at a time decided by their clinicians. It follows a recommendation on Wednesday from the government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).

Health officials said the shots were not boosters, which are given to prolong people’s protection, but instead form part of the primary vaccination schedule for 400,000 to 500,000 vulnerable UK patients. Among people with impaired immune systems, these are the estimated 40% who cannot mount a strong response even after two shots of vaccine, according to the recent Octave study.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -covid-jab
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I finally got to see my Dr, 'face to face, he's an Egypt nut.
They emailed me 'out of the blue, he said "What can I do for you ?
I said "You called me, but as it just happens, I luckily have a list here"

We ran through my list of ailments and I mentioned the "new cholesterol busting drug, he said "What! 'I suffer from that"
I said "I know, you have told me, that I have suffered from it for years"

We agreed to try it when he can get supplies, and he added he hopes, I can get back to Luxor soon.
I always used to bring him the odd bits and pieces of ancient art.
That's because, he used to supply me with at least 6 months of prescriptions before winging it back to the West Bank.

I said "don't forget I'm also up for the 3rd jab anytime your offering.

And if you think it's all over, think again ! It's not even started yet especially in Egypt,
when the government stop lying to you all.
The problem for all expats is, when in Egypt one tends to forget about the troubles around this World.
Another reason why I long to return..... 8)

Ps: As JC said in St Luke, "Physician heal thyself,"

Pss: My nutty acting pal from Edinburgh has been 'crashing here for 5 days:
He doing voiceovers for adverts...."He's very Scottish! 'enjoy.....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Before you go head on requesting this 'new cholesterol busting drug', which I assume is the one injected every six months, do be careful the atorvastatin tablet you take each day has other protecting properties, for example, the drug Lipitor by Pfizer is excellent at reducing cholesterol, but also reduces the risk of heart disease, even when cholesterol levels are low. (Read the package leaflet carefully.)

I'm not sure of your age my dear Dr, but if you are over 70 years old, make your G.P. aware of this with regards to the future supply of cholesterol reducing tablets that may have to be changed.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

The revolutionary new treatment, Inclisiran, is delivered as an injection twice a year and can be used alongside statins, adding to the options available to patients to help control their cholesterol levels.

Read more: https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/09/nhs- ... -of-lives/
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

What to expect ? one ask's......

I expect a huge rise in deaths..they say it's all over, So, 'get out there, go clubbing, 20,000 football fans, have a laugh!
Well as Mr covid seems to be clever than us lot and his death rate is climbing and infection rates are climbing,
'a measly 35,000 today here in sunny England.

So, it's all over have a laugh, and one on me.
Remember all those people migrating around the world ? all those thousands of refugee camps around the world ?
that lot over in france just 'dying to come to our 'sceptered isle....well you would wouldn't you ?

Personally my favorite film for the coming of days is.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I can remember crying in this at the end of Edward G Robinson's' life. He died 2 months after making this film.

One of my favorites.... 8)

Ps: "If you don't cry at Sol's death, you need a brain transplant.....
Also got me into Beethoven or was that A Clockwork Orange..?

And just where are all those 35'000 covid victims today ? just asking....
Sophocles.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Morocco

Post by John Landon »

Despite all that doom and gloom dear Doctor, the death rate flattened out in the UK back in May this year and so far that line is still pretty flat. Covid cases does not necessarily mean illness.
So far 10% of the UK seems to have been infected at some stage during the pandemic.

Put that into perspective, there's still 460 people a day dying from cancer in the UK.

Cancer has still claimed many more victims than covid has since it came to our attention back in March 2020.

Dementia and Alzheimer's score pretty high too, far outweighs covid, even at its peak.

The vaccines do seem to be working.

Anyway, remember that it's not the water surrounding the boat that sinks it, it's the water that enters the boat that causes it to sink.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@John Landon

First sensible comment I’ve seen for a while.

If you’ve had both jabs, the chances of you being seriously inconvenienced by covid is on a par with the risks one faces on a daily basis going about one’s life.....probably less so.

At some point...next year I think.....we’ll do away with all restrictions ( including foreign travel) for the vaccinated and very young. There may be continuing restrictions for the anti- vaxxers....which serves them right 8) .

The very small number who cannot, for medical reasons, be vaccinated may be burdened with some form of testing.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

5 years I drove Ambulances for 'the man, great job. Blood sweat and tears and more blood...
One thing that sticks in one's mind was learned early on, just how ignorant the masses can be.

Things haven't changed over the years, I see...
'Except that Ambulance men are now called Paramedics. 'How cool is that ?... 8)

Ps: I offset the daily dramas by enjoying the entonox, "always made me look on the bright side of life...
Oh! And no PSTD ssssyndrome....
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

A friend of mine has just spent three weeks in hospital in London with Covid. He had been vaccinated but at 87 years of age he also had other health issues.
Now back home and planning his next foreign journey, no keeping him down.
Life is for living he says whilst he still can.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I think it's fair to say that Covid19 pretty much took the world by surprise and, had not severe measures - lock down, isolation, quarantine - been taken early on (although not as early or as stringent as it could, or should have been done in many situations), the already horrific number of deaths worldwide would have been far greater.

The lockdowns etc. bought time. Time to get a better understanding of the virus, and time to prepare, test, distribute, and administer vaccines. Some would say that that time wasn't enough, and actually only time will tell tbe truth on that.

The fact is that at the moment we are seeing positive outcomes and benefits of the vaccine. Yes, the number of people infected by the virus is still way too high. The numbers are likely to fluctuate for a long time to come. We hope they will decrease, but like flu it is never likely to go away. We now have to trust our experts, and by experts I don't mean politicians, to continue studying this virus and developing/tweaking vaccines that can safely be administered and reduce the severity of the illness and/or death.

In the meantime, I'll continue in my semi hibernation, mask wearing when having to share breathing space with too many others, and continue to carry hand sanitiser with me even if I forget to use it.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

One of the main focal points that the anti jabbers latch onto in their continual fight attempting to convince us all that this is all made up is by constantly posting death rate comparisons ie:- cancer, traffic accidents ect. kill more than this scamdemic, none of which are transmissible. This time next year we will see a light at the end of the tunnel and the crematorium, grave yards and ICU beds will be very busy with what remains of the unbelievers.