Work Visa's

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Work Visa's

Post by carrie »

As far as I know or understand a work visa has to be applied for by the employer not the prospective employee, does anyone know if that is right.
A friend has been told by a lawyer that he can get him a work visa even though my friend is not employed by anyone.
Said friend was somewhat horrified to think that I didn't completely trust members of the legal profession here. His response was "Oh but he's a lawyer!"
Any advise gratefully received.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Work Visa's

Post by A-Four »

Unless the person is an important part of an international company working in Egypt under contract, or employed by an Egyptian company who has to prove that position or skill is not (after exhaustive) measures locally available, then the application would fail. There are also special requirement any applicant has to go though, a thorough health check is one of them. It is well known that the Egyptian authorities discourage any company from employing foreigners.

I believe, Carrie and I are fully aware how a number of lawyers in Luxor will offer their services knowing full well the client has not a dogs chance of ever possibly fulfilling the task, and this one will certainly do so, simply because if the application for employment is correct, and is passed through the right channels, which the employer will be aware of, then there is no need for a solicitor what so ever.

You can lead a donkey to water,........but leave them there and have no worries. :py .
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I have two friends who have work visas in Egypt.
The husband loves to 'dot the i's and cross the t's. They jumped all the various hurdles and after
a couple of years received their work permits. They haven't left Egypt for many years.
If you want contact details PM me.

Good Luck but I know obtaining W.P. is not easy...but then nothing in Egypt is.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

It's not something I have first hand knowledge of, but my understanding was much the same yours is Carrie.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Although the application for a work permit is normally carried out by the employer ( via their inhouse lawyers presumably), this is not an essential part of the process. However, it is necessary to have a prospective employer and job offer! An application would not be considered “ in vacuo”.

Numerous lawyers then offer to handle the matter on the part of the employer/employee.

I would be wary of getting involved in such a process where the prospective employer has not offered to deal with the work permit application, or confirmed that they will meet any lawyer costs in doing so.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

There is no employer, no job, still this lawyer says he can get him a work permit.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Carrie, I cannot verify the authenticity of this site, but it is one of a number that I had a link for in my files. I thought I had others related to working in Egypt but I may have cleared them.

These are the first three points in the article:

-Expats may look for a job on a tourist visa but need to exit and re-enter Egypt with a work permit to work in the country.
-A work permit for Egypt is granted for 1 year and may be extended for 5 years.
-The number of work permits issued each year is limited by a quota.

https://www.immigrationworld.com/egypt/ ... for-egypt/
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:43 pm There is no employer, no job, still this lawyer says he can get him a work permit.
If I was you, I'd give this crack-pot a very wide berth, the WB was full of these type of nut nut people in the early years around 2000. I was only asked once to give some one sound advise, the sister of a dear old friend was buying a 'villa' on the WB. I asked her what was the price of a pint of milk, she did not know, cause her Mahmoud bought it,.........a quick exit, stage left.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Thank you Hepzibah that's very useful I will give him that web site address.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:39 am Thank you Hepzibah that's very useful I will give him that web site address.
There are quite a few websites online that give information on such things as visas, work permits, etc. A simple search, using something like 'Can I work in Egypt?' or 'Egypt - work permit' should give results.

I did have a link once to an Egyptian government site - think it was for Ministry of Interior (or something like that) - J think that had Working in Egypt infirmation on it too. I just don't seem to have the link in the folder I thought it was in.
-Aldous Huxley