'Knock knock' " who's there"? It's......

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

'Knock knock' " who's there"? It's......

Post by Dusak »

....me from the government, I've come to knock your house down".

This was the situation at my friend's house here in karnak two days ago. Her house is situated around 1,000 meters past the Hilton hotel, same side.
The men from the council were measuring the road, informing her that a new Express way was in the planning from the airport and crossing the Nile by a new suspension bridge. This would mean that 20 meters of her frontage would have to be taken for this project, as for most of the properties in her street. This will change her home from a three bed roomed one to a one bedroom, half a kitchen and a narrow strip of a lounge. They stated that it would be highly unlikely that compensation would be paid as the property would still be livable. She owns the property, but her sister lives on the ground floor, her other sister the second floor, both large family units.
Although this doesn't affect me, it pee's me off a tad as I bought the land and constructed the two flats around eight years ago for the family to bring them together as the two sisters lived many miles from Luxor in none too pleasant areas. So with no rents to pay at a time i had unneeded Egyptian funds in the bank it made their lives more livable.
This will affect around 15 homes and three small shops.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Re: 'Knock knock' " who's there"? It's......

Post by BBLUX »

That is appalling Dusak. I remember when they widened Twinky street and the surrounding area Houses erased with little thought for the people living there. I remember seeing an old lady sat in the bulldozed ruins of her former home. No where to go.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Dusak wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:35 pm The men from the council were measuring the road, informing her that a new Express way was in the planning from the airport and crossing the Nile by a new suspension bridge.
I'm not too sure about this Dusak, for two main reasons, 1) to build access roads to any such bridge would require the removal of most properties in central Karnack village, with or without a flyover. 2) The present day cost of an international grade such bridge, especially a suspension type would cost at least $15 Billion to span the Nile width at Luxor. The new Rod al-Farag Axis Bridge in Cairo would have cost even more had construction been started today.

The only thing I can suggest is that a new docking station is being built for the local ferry from the WB. From the plans I saw, many years ago, another was to be built at the old car ferry port, that was next to the Nova Hotel, in other words two such ferries would operate from the WB, and would be used by local people ONLY. The idea of this was to remove locals from the future open-air museum area, interconnecting bus service would then take people on a half circular route over the main road to the east side of the rail station then continue down to near the Nova and beyond.

If I am correct that future reduced building you mention, could become a 'gold mine' for retail use.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It’s entirely possible that there are plans for a new bridge spanning the Nile north of Luxor.

The development of Upper Egypt and the linking of the Western and Eastern Cairo-Aswan routes has been under discussion for several years. The monumental cost is, as ever, the last thing that will worry Sisi.

https://invest-gate.me/news/transport-m ... -new-axes/
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

A-Four wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:39 am
Dusak wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:35 pm The men from the council were measuring the road, informing her that a new Express way was in the planning from the airport and crossing the Nile by a new suspension bridge.
I'm not too sure about this Dusak, for two main reasons, 1) to build access roads to any such bridge would require the removal of most properties in central Karnack village, with or without a flyover. 2) The present day cost of an international grade such bridge, especially a suspension type would cost at least $15 Billion to span the Nile width at Luxor. The new Rod al-Farag Axis Bridge in Cairo would have cost even more had construction been started today.

The only thing I can suggest is that a new docking station is being built for the local ferry from the WB. From the plans I saw, many years ago, another was to be built at the old car ferry port, that was next to the Nova Hotel, in other words two such ferries would operate from the WB, and would be used by local people ONLY. The idea of this was to remove locals from the future open-air museum area, interconnecting bus service would then take people on a half circular route over the main road to the east side of the rail station then continue down to near the Nova and beyond.

If I am correct that future reduced building you mention, could become a 'gold mine' for retail use.
From what I understood it's a strait run from A to B, so no intersections would be required.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.