MAC make up

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

In the Uk I will not leave the house without wearing mascara and a touch of lippy, but really can not be arsed in Egypt. I always end up rubbing my eyes and forget I've got stuff on....and again end up like Goddess, like Alice Cooper.

I might, If dressing up, add a little lip gloss there, but hardly ever bother with any make-up at all.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Claire

Melting make up

Post by Claire »

Yeah I had a problem with my lipsticks and eye liners when I was in Egypt as they all melted. Luckily in my bag and not down my face. All my Egyptian sister in laws pile on the make up so altho I only occasionally wear make up when I go out here I follow their example when I am over there! Don't quite follow their dress sense tho but again tend to dress up more over there than I do here! Don't bother with the matching shoes and bag look though nor the tons of gold jewellery!

PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Goddess have you tried pencil eyeliner? Try the new mineral make up. It's powder but very light yet it covers well.

For dark circles, I've started using a product I got at a Mary Kaye party. It's a little applicator with a roller ball. I see you can buy similar products over the counter now. You just roll it on once a day. It's a clear liquid.

Being fair skinned, I always keep the make up to a minimum but when in Egypt, my Eygpitan friends always ask me to leave it off.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess »

This was pencil eyeliner that ran PR - it was a lovely shade of green and went on like a dream, sadly it came off like a nightmare and I've never wanted to put a brown bag over my head quite as much as I did that day!

The eyeliner I've had most success with is the liquid eyeliner - seems to stick without running in the heat - it's just a pain putting it on because I can't draw a straight line.

I like to think that my hair is so dramatic and colourful that I don't need makeup! (That's my excuse anyway!)

PRchick

Post by PRchick »

And it is. :) Mine is fine and shapeless. I need all the other help I can get.
A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 10 to 20 times more than a man who has not.
~Mark Twain~

SoCalledEgyptologist

Post by SoCalledEgyptologist »

eyeliners and lipstick? Hmm, sounds like you people don't really NEED makeup! I do! Most of the time I can't go out in public without concealer and at least a bit of powder, my skin is horrendous otherwise! All the other stuff I leave for special occasions...

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO »

One July a couple of years back my mates nail varnish melted while we were walking around in the midday sun in The valley of the kings. :roll:

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO »

I have tried every foundation on the market and have never found one yet that I can wear :( My skin is like tough old boots so even the oily foundations look dry and patchy on me-hence the messing about with tan-towels and things. :roll:

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess »

SoCalledEgyptologist wrote:eyeliners and lipstick? Hmm, sounds like you people don't really NEED makeup! I do! Most of the time I can't go out in public without concealer and at least a bit of powder, my skin is horrendous otherwise! All the other stuff I leave for special occasions...
I NEED makeup (Just too lazy to put it on!)

On usual days I just have mascara and lip gloss and pray to God no ones going to take any pictures of me on those days. If I'm going out (as opposed to pootling round to friends) I go the whole hog then and coat myself in the stuff!

Believe me, there's nothing worse than sitting in a room in the middle of summer with no AC when you're wearing full battle makeup - and you've had to walk up 4 flights of stairs in said make-up to get there!

Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

Gave up on make-up about one month after going to live in Hurghada.Agree with you Goddess the hike up all those flights of stairs especially in middle of summer is no joke and why is it friends always seem to live on the top floor.Must admit my skin was much better and all i used was moisturiser and a little smear of sun cream just for protection while out on street. :)

New Gal

Post by New Gal »

I have to wear a light covering of foundation, concealer and powder everyday as think there would be an international incident announced otherwise...people running for fear of their lives.

I haven't had a problem with my make up and the heat at all! MAC is fab, stays on, looks good and is good for your skin, contains sun block and doesn't dry your skin out. I have really sensitive skin so have to be careful what I use and the sun does help the condition of my skin, I'm just never there long enough!

I'm not plugging MAC though! My friend used Estee Lauder when we were in Egypt last June and she was fine with that too.

If you really need it, you will find a way to make it stay on and look good!

Liquid eyeliner is the best for eyes, I take on board that its somewhat difficult to apply, nothing a bit pf practice wont sort.

niletraveller

Post by niletraveller »

Re: MAC make-up in Egypt.

I was in Sharm el Sheikh last week and they have built a new shopping mall called Il Mercato (opposite Dreams Vacation hotel).
They are opening a MAC make-up store there in the next 2 months, it is currently being fitted out.
They may offer an order/delivery service across Egypt, or maybe they can suggest the location of other MAC outlets in Egypt.
Live alittle, love alittle, laugh alittle!

New Gal

Post by New Gal »

niletraveller wrote:Re: MAC make-up in Egypt.

I was in Sharm el Sheikh last week and they have built a new shopping mall called Il Mercato (opposite Dreams Vacation hotel).
They are opening a MAC make-up store there in the next 2 months, it is currently being fitted out.
They may offer an order/delivery service across Egypt, or maybe they can suggest the location of other MAC outlets in Egypt.
Thats fab! Thanks for that xxx

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]I need to draw my eyes on daily - just a bit of pencil eyeliner and mascara - or I can't see during the day. ;) Seriously, I suppose it's a confidence thing really. I also use a bit of lipstick when going out. Whilst in Luxor this last trip I got the 'Cleopatra's eyes' treatment from a couple of young girlfriends. They were reasonably reserved in the application of all the powders and paints used but I still felt that a trowel would have been useful. I barely recognised myself in the mirror and felt very self concious when I later put on my galabaya and met my friends. :oops: I was also given a small vial of very black khol eyeliner as a gift from Mecca but I don't think I will be using it any day soon. :roll: [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Annadongela

Post by Annadongela »

JOJO wrote:I have tried every foundation on the market and have never found one yet that I can wear :( My skin is like tough old boots so even the oily foundations look dry and patchy on me-hence the messing about with tan-towels and things. :roll:
Virgin Vie's Face base is a power foundation - absolutely brilliant. Pricey but I don't go anywhere without it and one lasts me about 4 months so well worth the money.

PRchick

Post by PRchick »

I agree. Try the mineral make up JoJo. You might get your doc to give you a little retin A if your skin has sun damage.
~Mark Twain~

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

- My fridge is full of M.A.C eyeliners in different colours and qualities, know I don’t NEED it, but just love to express myself with make up, and the longer I stay, the longer my eyeliner lines grow all by themselves. In Europe I’ve always been criticized for wearing too much, here it’s accepted and the pharaonic wall paintings really inspire me, as they did long before I ever got here. I go to Europe twice a year, and at the airport M.A.C stand I’m like a little girl in a candy store. Otherwise I hate shopping, but the thought of M.A.C in Sharm el Sheikh might even tempt me to fly there.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

[face=Comic Sans MS]Until this thread I'd never heard of MAC makeup. Shows how much time I spend around the beauty counters in towns and airports. :roll: [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess »

HEPZIBAH wrote:[face=Comic Sans MS]Until this thread I'd never heard of MAC makeup. Shows how much time I spend around the beauty counters in towns and airports. :roll: [/face]
:D Glad you said it Hepzi - I've never heard of MAC either!

SoCalledEgyptologist

Post by SoCalledEgyptologist »

me too!