CONFERENCE AGAINST ABUSE OF WOMEN!!!!

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Barb

CONFERENCE AGAINST ABUSE OF WOMEN!!!!

Post by Barb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:05 am

FOR THE ATTENTION OF ALL WOMEN IN LUXOR!!!!!! I've just spoken to my friend Nagwa and she told me that there will be a conference about 'VIOLENCE AND ABUSE AGAINST WOMEN' on MONDAY 19th NOVEMBER (so this coming Monday) at the LUXOR LIBRARY (formally Susanne Mubarak Library) on the road to Karnak and the airport, from 9.30 am to 1.00 pm. PLEASE TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS. I know it is an early start but this is a CURRENT and EXTREMELY IMPORTANT issue, so let's try to do something about it. Hope to see you there.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: CONFERENCE AGAINST ABUSE OF WOMEN!!!!

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:32 pm

I am not in Luxor so would not be able to attend anyway however, if I were, I would want to know who was organising this conference, who the key speakers and participants would be, the overall programme etc.

If anyone has more information, I am sure others would find it helpful too so please post.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Barb

Post by Barb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:41 pm

It is being organised by the Luxor council for women and the governor Hepzibah. The speakers will be doctors and social workers. That is the only information we have at the moment because we wanted to get it advertised quickly to give people notice.

chiddy

Post by chiddy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:49 pm

presume the Police will be represented
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Congrats on your promotion Hepzi!

:mrgreen:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Goddess wrote:Congrats on your promotion Hepzi!

:mrgreen:
:tu: :snig:
-Aldous Huxley

Barb

Post by Barb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:37 pm

chiddy wrote:presume the Police will be represented
I have got no idea Chiddy, sorry.

Subversion

Post by Subversion » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:52 pm

I like the ring of Guvna Hepzi!

Reading the article which I think WI posted about the imprisonment of a guy for sexual abuse and the article about the Muslim Sisterhood - I do hope the women organising this are able to put forward their own views and feelings and not find themselves overtaken by well meaning men!

One of the things that worries me is that the men will take over the debate and condemn abuse as an affront to the woman who is sacred, moral and must be protected and cherished - whilst of course all of that is true :D the bottom line is we don't want special dispensation or treatment because of our gender - we just want the knuckle draggers to get their heads round the fact that as human beings we are equal disregardless of our appendages.

I completely acknowledge that some women may feel they identify themselves with the 'traditional" view of woman as subservient to man - completely their right of choice and I wouldn't challenge or condemn them for it.

It will be interesting to hear how this one pans out - please post some feedback Barb if you can and do wish the group a successful event

Sx

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Yep, 'twas me.

Well said Sub, and ditto from me. Best wishes for a successful event. :up
Carpe diem! :le:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Sorry, I omitted to say thanks for the update. I got sidetracked by my promotion which is no excuse for bad manners!

I wish the conference every success. I do hope though that many Egyptian will be there and able to air their views and that it doesn't become an arena purely for ex-pats. That does not mean that I am negating the abuse that ex-pat and tourist women have suffered but that I do think it is a problem that has to be very much handled by Egyptians - and the best place to implement real change is in the home and upbringing of those cute little things that suddenly turn into men!

Education in the home.
Visable and active policing.
Removal of fear and prejudice when it comes to the reporting of abuse.
Clear and decisive action when reporting takes place.

I was interested in the comment by subversion 'I completely acknowledge that some women may feel they identify themselves with the 'traditional" view of woman as subservient to man - completely their right of choice and I wouldn't challenge or condemn them for it.'
I was taught that being subservient was not particularly a weak thing - a laying down of yourself before a man to be a carpet for him to wipe his shoes on. My understanding of the teaching I had was that in a way it should be a strength, a showing of respect ,eg for your father or husband, and a willingness to help them as they should be caring and providing for you and protecting you from other harm.
So, I often seen [percieved] subservient women as strong, even if the male is actually weak and unable/incapable of/unwilling to be the man he should be.
-Aldous Huxley

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Well, I won't be letting my wife attend!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:40 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote: I do hope though that many Egyptian will be there and able to air their views and that it doesn't become an arena purely for ex-pats.
I thought it was for Egyptian women.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:54 pm

BENNU wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote: I do hope though that many Egyptian will be there and able to air their views and that it doesn't become an arena purely for ex-pats.
My understanding from the OP and the copies I've seen on other predominantly non-Egyptian pages is that it is for ALL WOMEN. I just hope that many Egyptian women know about it and are able to attend!
-Aldous Huxley

Barb

Post by Barb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:32 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:
BENNU wrote:
My understanding from the OP and the copies I've seen on other predominantly non-Egyptian pages is that it is for ALL WOMEN. I just hope that many Egyptian women know about it and are able to attend!
Yes it is for MAINLY Egyptian women but they wanted our input and experiences too.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:13 am

Why, do any of you think that there are no ex-pat women over here that don't get smacked around? Anyway I wish them the best of luck and hope that any things discussed will be implemented without hast in regards to the Government's stance on women's rights and not only in this country, but all over. Recognition as equal human beings and not the chattels of man has been a long time coming, but come it will.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Dusak wrote:Why, do any of you think that there are no ex-pat women over here that don't get smacked around? .

Errmm...sorry but I do not understand that sentence. That is to say, I do understand what it says, I just don't understand it's relevance in this thread. I don't think any of the posters have assumed or '...think that there are no ex-pat women over here that don't get smacked around?' If anything I would have thought that most, if not all, were showing solidarity and encouragement for our Egyptian sisters and trying to help find ways to deal with such situations - visible and invisible.
-Aldous Huxley

Barb

Post by Barb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:48 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Dusak wrote:Why, do any of you think that there are no ex-pat women over here that don't get smacked around? .

Errmm...sorry but I do not understand that sentence. That is to say, I do understand what it says, I just don't understand it's relevance in this thread. I don't think any of the posters have assumed or '...think that there are no ex-pat women over here that don't get smacked around?' If anything I would have thought that most, if not all, were showing solidarity and encouragement for our Egyptian sisters and trying to help find ways to deal with such situations - visible and invisible.
EXACTLY Hepzibah!!!! Well said.

Subversion

Post by Subversion » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Bullett made an interesting comment in one of his posts - re the "Holistic Repatriation" of ex-pats - and to some extent disregardless of birth place I would consider a woman living in Egypt to be an Egyptian woman - particularly if she is married to an Egyptian man and living an Egyptian lifestyle.

But I get the point Dusak - whether women are from venus (or mars) - they shouldn't be being smacked about and have no recourse to legal complaint or protection.

Sx

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:52 pm

If anyone from here went to this conference it would be interesting to many of us if you could give some sort of report or feedback. Thanks.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:35 am

My apology's if I made it sound as if going off topic, what I was attempting to say, but in this case, not very well, is that it is for all women to receive this help, not just Egyptian women.