Bad Luck Superstitions

There is still great magic in Egypt and the rest of the world. The paranormal, astrology, leylines, rituals, telepathy and ESP interest us all. Discuss the mysterious aspects of life that appeal to your sixth sense here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Bad Luck Superstitions

Post by WIZARD »

Bad Luck Superstitions

Friday the Thirteenth - The Scandinavian's believed that the number 13 was unlucky due to the mythological 12 demigods being joined by a 13th, an evil one, who brought misfortune upon humans. It was also said that Christ was crucified on Friday and the number of guests at the party of the Last Supper was 13, with the 13th guest being Judas, the traitor.

Walking under a ladder - A leaning ladder forms a triangle with the wall and ground. Triangles represent the Holy Trinity, and violating the Trinity by breaking it (walking through it) would put you in league with the devil himself.

Black Cats - In ancient Egypt, the Goddess Bast was a black, female cat. Christians, wanting to rid society of all traces of other religions, convinced the ignorant that black cats were demons in disguise and should thus be destroyed. In the process, they also destroyed the kindly ladies who cared for the cats, believing them to be witches. Being demons, a black cat crossing your path would create a barrier of evil, cutting you off from God and blocking the entrance to heaven.

Spilling Salt - Salt used to be an expensive commodity used mainly for medicinal purposes. For this reason, spillage was to be avoided at all costs. The idea that it is unlucky to do so probably stems from the belief that Judas spilt salt during the last supper. Throwing spilt salt over the left shoulder is linked to its medicinal use. If it could not be administered, the next best thing was to throw it into the eye of the evil spirits that brought sickness upon us. These spirits were thought to lurk behind your shoulder, waiting for an opportunity to strike.

A bat flying into the house

An owl hooting 3 times

3 butterflies together

Looking at the new moon over your left shoulder

A 5-leaf clover

Breaking a glass while proposing a toast

Putting a shirt on inside out

Red and white flowers together

Hearing a rooster crow at night

Cutting your nails on a Friday

Putting a hat on a bed

Getting out of bed left foot first

Violets blooming out of season

A picture falling

Breaking a mirror

Singing before breakfast

Opening an umbrella indoors

Giving away a wedding present

Stepping on cracks in the sidewalk

An itch inside your nose

Crossed knives

Seeing an owl during daylight

If a dog suddenly barks for no apparent reason in a house that has a sick person then

You must wear new clothes at Easter or you will have bad luck

There will be an argument if knifes are crossed at a table. Also, if a lover gives you a

Breaking a mirror means 7 years of bad luck, unless you take the pieces outside & bury them in moonlight. Also, an undisturbed mirror in a house suddenly fall & smashes then it means that there will soon be a death.

Unless you were born in October, the wearing of an Opal will be ill-fated

If pepper is spilt, then you will have a serious argument with a friend.

Sparrows are said to carry the souls of the deceased to the after-life. To kill one means that you will be cursed.

It is extremely unlucky to open an umbrella inside a house.

If a groom drops the ring during the ceremony then the marriage is doomed to failure.

Breaking a plate, especially if it had not already been cracked.

To see the new moon for the first time through glass. Upon seeing the new moon you should turn whatever silver you have in your pockets or handbag, and thus ensure prosperity for a month.

To upset pepper

The blossom must never be cut from the tree and brought into the house before May 1, or ill fortune will attend you.

Never mend a garment while you are wearing it, or misfortune will follow.

Breaking a mirror portends seven years of bad luck. It is also extremely unlucky to receive a mirror as a present

To make a present of a knife or any other sharp instrument unless you receive something in exchange.

Walking under a ladder, unless you cross their fingers while doing so.

It brings ill fortune if a lease or any contract is signed in the months of April, July, or November.

To spill ink threatens worry, annoyance, and the failure of a project that is on foot.

Crossing two table-knives by accident portends bad luck.

To give a pair of gloves to a friend unless you receive something in exchange.

To encounter a gravedigger coming towards you. Usually this means there will be a severe illness.

For those who completely rake out a fire before retiring. A few embers should always be left.

To break a glass bottle portends misfortune

If you fasten a button into the wrong buttonhole

If a candle falls over

For a golfer to borrow your partners umbrella

Throwing stones into the sea cause bad luck

Starting a cruise on a Friday

Stepping on board a ship with your left foot

To open an umbrella in the house

It is unlucky to sit on a table unless one foot is touching the ground

If a person stumbles when leaving his house at the beginning of a journey, or trips or stumbles more than once during the course of the journey, it is advisable to postpone it.

To pass anyone on the staircase.

New shoes should never be left on a table

To put on the left shoe before the right, and it is worse still to put the right shoe on the left foot, or vice versa.

Spilling salt. If both salt and pepper are spilt at the same time, the force of this ill omen is doubled.

WIZARD
redsaffy
Egypt

Post by redsaffy »

Have to say I am a vitcim of some of these even though my Rational mind says don't be silly but my back mind says no way!!!!!!!!!

Once broke a mirror before having to fly and went totally to pieces was convinced something bad would happen!!!!
Everything Is As It Should Be For Now Any Way!!
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

I'm confused I thought black cats were lucky, you see them on lots of Good Luck cards :?
drwho

Post by drwho »

Bad Luck Superstitions ......
making lists.......8)
WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by WIZARD »

drwho wrote:Bad Luck Superstitions ......
making lists.......8)
Forgot that one drwho. :)
WIZARD
EARLYBIRD

Post by EARLYBIRD »

The only one that bothers me is the number 13 - I don't pay much attention to the rest of them :) ...EB
Phantom
United Kingdom

Post by Phantom »

"If you fasten a button into the wrong buttonhole "

That me done for then :oops:
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave ............

Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Getting out of bed left foot first....never heard of this 1.

Do it all the time as I sleep on the left side, would be a bit tricky trying to put my right first, I suppose I could but I jump as soon as I hear the alarm :lol:
[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]