FABlux's foxes

There is still great magic in Egypt and the rest of the world. The paranormal, astrology, leylines, rituals, telepathy and ESP interest us all. Discuss the mysterious aspects of life that appeal to your sixth sense here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Wills
United Kingdom

Post by Wills »

I saw a fox running across the road today while I was on the bus coming home from work at about 3.15pm very strange.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Wills wrote:I saw a fox running across the road today while I was on the bus coming home from work at about 3.15pm very strange.
Although they normally go out at night, (hunting is easier then) they are often awake during the day. You probably saw a young male on his way to find a new territory.
Missie used to link regularly about 3.30 - 4.00 in the afternoon when she woke up & was bored & wasn't allowed to disturb Mum's sleep!
When we were on holiday Mum started "popping in" during the day because she was interested in the strange sights & smells.
I know Mum used to lay in the sun with the cubs playing so I think they are more active than we realise during the day, it is just self-preservation that they avoid humans most of the time.
Wills
United Kingdom

Post by Wills »

Before we moved at work there is a wall between our place of work and the house opposite and nearly every day I used to see a fox on top of the wall sunning itself.
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

I envy you, we only see ours at night, when we can't see the true colour of their coats.
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Mum's pregnancy is showing now, she has been a bit low, uncomfortable, off her food, (Missie took some back to her). She fancied marmite one night & white meat another (she enjoyed the chicken breast fillet we defrosted at 10.30p.m.!)
Finally admitted she was worried about coping with so many cubs. We have assured her we will help & Missie is also there for her. Much happier afterwards, came down with a real spring in her step.
It's very early for her to be pregnant but I guess that's what happens when your male turns up unexpectedly ;)
dab19

Post by dab19 »

This really is a heartwarming story...long may it continue, Fablux!
dabby
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

dab19 wrote:This really is a heartwarming story...long may it continue, Fablux!
dabby
It is very much a 2 way thing. I was in a lot of pain last night, she sensed it, kept checking up on me and tried very hard to comfort me.
Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale »

I am totally fascinated by the these tales of the pack. When do you think her cubs are due? Will it be too early in the year for them to be born as she is pregnant again so soon?
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Luxorlover wrote:I am totally fascinated by the these tales of the pack. When do you think her cubs are due? Will it be too early in the year for them to be born as she is pregnant again so soon?
Normal time according to the info we have found is that breeding season is late Dec to Feb. with vixens making breeding dens late Feb, birth mid March & approx gestation 53 days. We know from the video that Mum had her first litter in January this year. With that time scale she is 3/4 months early this time so we don't really know why, but there again she is a very extraordinary fox in many ways! A friend of BBLux, who is very knowledgeable about wildlife says that food supply is a major factor in breeding patterns.

If you are interested in finding out more about foxes in general I recently found this site which I found very helpful, although from our own observations they aren't right about everything. e.g. eating hedgehogs, having babies in March!

www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/red_fox
Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale »

We have not had a recent update on your foxes. :) :) :)
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Luxorlover wrote:We have not had a recent update on your foxes. :) :) :)
Not much to report, lousy weather a couple of nights & fox cam was down another.
We quickly netted the pond Sunday so had to warn them to mind their feet in the net. Mum took it so much to heart wouldn't allow anyone near it. Monday I covered the net over with slabs so Missie could go on it & do her Anubis impression again.
I cooked a fruit strudel which Barry ate last night but he had to leave half for Mum (he asked whether she really wanted it or could he finish it) the answer was very firmly NO he couldn't its one of her favourites! He cooked them chicken dripping fried bread Sunday & she thought that was lovely.
We asked how she was last night, because we hadn't seen her, the response was that my tummy suddenly felt really hard & bloated I literally felt for her!
Derbrain (DB) has been around a couple of times & has put some weight back on & looks much better. :)
Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale »

How is the tiddler of the family? When the new cubs arrive will the others be expected to leave?
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Luxorlover wrote:How is the tiddler of the family? When the new cubs arrive will the others be expected to leave?
Missie was the tiddler, she's still just as slight & dainty, but hopefully she will stay & help Mum bring up the next litter. Mum always "said" she hoped to keep her around & teach her all he things she had to find out for herself, (including how to rear cubs.) It was a very steep learning curve for Mum but the extended family is quite common, only the males move off so early normally. Because of DB's problems we don't know what will happen to him (Or maybe her?) as a cub DB was very aggressive so hopefully that won't be a problem with the next litter.
We had to laugh one night, we put out both marmite & honey furs. Missie doesn't like marmite, picked one up by mistake & spat it out, glared at the camera really aggrieved! "Furs" (sandwiches) came about when we gave a jam fur one day & marmite the next. Mum was surprised they looked the same but tasted different. I explained same outer, different filling. She thought about it then came back with images of rabbit & squirrel both grey fur different taste. (Squirrel is much darker meat & denser.)
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

LL you say there are plenty of foxes in Luxor, hope we can explain to them that their voices don't endear them to us in the middle of the night. We got the message through to Mum after sulking for a couple of days she accepted that she could be endangering her cubs by shouting so near to other houses. As Stan said they are pretty awful! Just for now I'd be very happy to hear Mum's voice I had tummy pains (felt like awkwardly placed baby/cub) Saturday night & haven't seen or spoken to her since.
The weather has been pretty dire & she doesn't like high wind but I am concerned, she's not likely to come out in this weather so will just have to wait. :(
Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale »

I can understand your concern. They are wild and free - but that does not stop them being yours.
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Glad to say Mum came last night for about 2 minutes, ate some food & left. Very slimline so don't know whether she has had or lost the cubs but at least she is OK. I just hope we can chat tonight :worry:
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Contacted last night, a bit disjointed. Mum's OK, not the contented feel she has when she's nursing cubs though. She said they were cold when they were born, she knew what to do this time, but it didn't work. (last time she didn't & lost the first one)
There was something vague about 2 very small dark shapes, whether they lived for a short time or whether they are still alive I don't know . It's SO very frustrating not being able to undrestand better.
She is not very sad, it has been a difficult pregnancy & she says its nice to move about normally again, she was hunting last night & enjoying it. Haven't seen the tape yet so may get more of a feel for things then.
:dun:
Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale »

If the cubs are there and small, what are the chances of them surviving the cold winter even if you feed them. I am becoming so involved in the life of your foxes that I am really sad for her - even if she is not sad for herself.
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

I just don't know, I wish I did, but no info I can find says anything about cubs being born early.
Obviously we can give Mum everything she needs for them food wise, (my son will come & feed her whilst we are in Egypt) and the earth should be warm but I don't have a good feeling about them.
There again Missie was a shadowy little shape when I first sensed her & she is incredibly fit & healthy. I watched a tape of her yesterday afternoon in bed (me not her) & she & Kinnie (cat) startled each other, they came from opposite sides of the pond at the same time, she barked, he chased her for about 3 or 4 feet & stopped, she came back, sat on the side of the pond then lay down and watched him until he came in. Lovely to see the 2 of them so relaxed together.
As for the cubs I'll let you know how things go.
dab19

Post by dab19 »

This is all very fascinating...I'm hooked!
Dabby
8)